• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

weight loss contest

So here it is, non-nudes now, and the "others" will go to Erick later. :laugh:

008.jpg

004.jpg

010.jpg

Look how round my head is!!! :angry:

Now for the stats:

Height: 5'10"
Sex: Male, hell, I hope that is obvious, otherwise just say so, and I will pick up a man-zier
Weight: 283 lbs.
BF%: 35.9

My current, or as of last week before I started to do better, routine was:

I would go to work with no breakfast, and eat about 10am. Breakfast consisted of two breakfast sandwiches from Mickey D's. I would have lunch around 3pm, usually two sandwiches and a large fry from a fast food restaurant. And finally dinner was pizza or one of the large meals from a local eating establishment. To give you an idea, I would typically skip over the meals until I came to the one that had 3, count em 3, items, such as chicken, steak, and shrimp on the plate with the plate along with the large side of veggies. But I was eating good, cause I had eaten the salad before the meal. One can't forget that you can't go out to eat without getting an appetizer. Mix in a couple of snacks a day, and I think I was bringing in about 3500 calories a day. My exercise has consisted of occasionally getting off the couch at work. Not much to do all day.

From here on out:

I am cutting my calorie intake to about 1400 a day. 3500 calories a day is my maintain weight intake to burn. At this rate, with my increased cardio, I should lose about 5 lbs a week. I started to run again. That first day of three miles SUCKED. If you remember, I ran a half marathon last April, and want to be back to doing that again soon. I have joined a gym, however, it is in the process of being built, and won't open until February 1st. I'm not using that as an excuse, instead, I'm running and doing crunches whenever I can. From the pictures, you may notice that I was outside playing with the kids today, Janurary 12th in 55 degree weather. I hope with her soccer season starting again, I will be outside running and playing along side her a lot more.

My new diet consist of Skim milk and low fat yogurt for breakfast along with a banana. I will mix it up with a bowl of oatmeal a few days a week. I will eat a handful of almonds for a snack mid morning, and have a salad for lunch. Frozen grapes are great for a mid afternoon snack to keep me until dinner. They last longer as a meal if they are frozen, and the longer it takes to eat them, the more I feel I'm eating. Dinner will be something along the lines of Salmon to raise my HDL, (my LDL is great) and a side of veggies and quinoa or wild rice. I grill quite often, and it makes for a satisfying dinner knowing it isn't fried.

My goal is 205 lbs by December 31, 2008 however, I am taking the family back to the Dominican Republic in late April and hope to be back down to 235 lbs. I was down to that weight 13 months ago, and felt great. Not to mention that I wasn't self concious at the beach.

Here's to everyone that needs that little boost to start off. I hope we all lose to our goals. I would be proud if someone out performs me if I try my best. You deserve my 5 cigars.

Erick, I'll send my 5 soon.

well shit, I just had this big write up done, and my computer shut down. Damnit!

So now you get the shortened version :D

First of all, its great to see you guys willing to participate in this. I REALLY encourage anyone that is maybe on the fence about this to jump in and do it! No better time to start then NOW!

I will do my best to judge this as fairly as possible, while giving you guys all some motivation and tips on reaching your goals.

Most important thing I can say to you guys is this. Even though this contest only lasts for 60 days, you should really look at it as just the beginning. Don't even begin to kid yourself! You could very easily be dedicated to this for 2 months and lose a bunch of weight, only to put it back on + 10 pounds the next 2 months. You want to make a real difference in your lives ??? Then exercise needs to be a priority in your life, forever.

My First tip! Breakfast! Breakfast is by far, the most important meal of the day. I have read that people who skip breakfast are 450% more prone to being over weight then others who eat it. DON"T SKIP BREAKFAST! Oh, and a caramel roll doesn't count!

Breakfast sandwich (originally taken from the Abs Diet book)

2 pieces of whole wheat toast (I use natures own, no High Fructose Corn Syrup)
1 piece of canadian bacon-browned in a fry pan
3 egg whites
1 egg
1 tsp ground flakseed (optional)
scramble up all eggs, and make a sandwich out of everything.

This is a nice big, tasty, and healthy sandwich to get you going!

Don't have time for the sandwich?? Some toasted whole grain english muffins with natural peanut butter will work!

the workout.
Even if you have the motivation to go to the gym, you still need a solid plan. I won't go as far as trying to write something up, but I will give a few pointers.

Weight training is important. You can burn calories doing cardio, but normally after you do cardio, you body will stop burning calories like 1 hour after you finish. In most cases, your body will continue to burn calories and repair muscle up to 48 hours after lifting! Also, for every pound of muscle you gain, your body burns something like an extra 100 calories a day.

I like to concentrate on full body exercises! They may suck a lot to do, but there is a reason for this, they WORK! Don't waste your time in the gym by doing concentration bicep curls, or a bunch of chest flys. Want to build some muscle and find your weakest links???
Squats! If you could only do one exercise in the gym, this would be it. (just make sure you do them properly) Squats works like 265 muscles at one time! you guys can do the math!
Dead Lifts-another full body exercise that will work everything and make you cuss me! again, they work!
Pull ups
Dips
Pushups
For the pull ups and dips, they have machines that will assist you at first if you are unable to do your body weight.

I would encourage you guys right now to do at least 3 days of cardio a week with 2 days lifting.
you could just to 2 sets of 10 with the exercises I listed above and that alone should make you hurt alot the first couple weeks! try and really limit the amount of rest in between sets.

Hopefully I am not getting carried away with the tips here, believe me I have a ton of info on this subject! If you guys have any questions, just let me know!

I'm glad you brought up the book. I have found the "Abs Diet Workout" book to be overall the best learning experience I have read. It encompassed everything about nutrition, not just what not to eat.

And the Smoothies are incredible!

I feel the same way about this topic as Winston Churchill did. "I get my exercise serving as pallbearer for my friends that do".

Doc.

I'm glad you brought up the book. I have found the "Abs Diet Workout" book to be overall the best learning experience I have read. It encompassed everything about nutrition, not just what not to eat.

have you done the suggested workout from that book? hahah, its a real kick in the nuts if you do it right!

I liked that book, but even more i liked Body for Life, same common sense nutrition.

Gary, i would be hesitant going from 3500c to 1400c, i think you will be miserable, it will be hard to stick with, and your body very well may react by slowing your metabolism down. Also, i'd set a target of 2 lbs a week weight loss, much more than that and you're losing muscle. Just an opinion, from someone overweight :laugh:

What did ya'll have for dinner? I had grilled chicken, grilled asparagus, and mashed sweet potatoes (mine was just mashed taters, salt, splenda, and a dash of cinnamon)

I liked that book, but even more i liked Body for Life, same common sense nutrition.

Gary, i would be hesitant going from 3500c to 1400c, i think you will be miserable, it will be hard to stick with, and your body very well may react by slowing your metabolism down. Also, i'd set a target of 2 lbs a week weight loss, much more than that and you're losing muscle. Just an opinion, from someone overweight :laugh:

What did ya'll have for dinner? I had grilled chicken, grilled asparagus, and mashed sweet potatoes (mine was just mashed taters, salt, splenda, and a dash of cinnamon)

Last time I was on a diet, I dropped to about 1000 calories a day about 3 days a week. That I will agree was a little drastic. I actually picked up the 1400 calorie per day number from "Biggest Loser" website. That is what it suggested and I find it to be not much less than what I am eating now as far as quantity, but food that is better for me.

Today I had leftover grilled chicken that I made last night for breakfast, for lunch was a salad, and dinner was deli sandwich of turkey and swiss cheese on whole grain and a side of asparagas drizzeled in a lemon butter sauce.

I did venture out to the grill tonight. I made about 2.5 lbs of salmon to have for lunch tomorrow and Monday. I am currently boiling up some quinoa to have with the salmon, and will throw together some oatmeal for tomorrow morning.

The food I eat is never as tasty as when I'm eating smart.

My end on the way to Erick.

DC# 0307 1790 0004 0115 1823

I expect to see those back in 60 days. Thanks for keeping them safe for me. :sign:

For serious health concerns, I highly advise against drastic reductions in caloric intake such as from 3500c to a measily 1400c daily. I would recommend moderate reductions such as maybe 10% - 20% less daily total calories, so if you normally take in 3500c before taking on this challenge, your new caloric intake might be around 2800c to 3150c daily, and that's a little bit more comfortable on your body.

If you are hitting the gym, Hillbilly got the right idea on exercises. Big compound movements are your keys to promoting metabolic increases and hormone production, namely testosterone and growth hormones. A bit more on these hormones later.

Here are some links that might provide some basis on what you might think about doing in the gym.

Deadlift
Romanian Deadlift
Barbell Benchpress
Barbell Incline Benchpress
Barbell Squat
Dumbell Shoulder Press
Upright Row
Barbell Bentover Row
Dumbell Lunge
Triceps Dips

There are many other exercises out there that you might want to come across, just do some searching and you will definitely find it. Linky

On the nutrition front... it's just as important, if not more important than working out and resting. I won't go as far as giving you guys a complete meal plan, because everyone is different and has different metabolic needs, so I will just point out some basic ideas that you might have forgotten or didn't even know or know but haven't really cared for.

Fruits - I hate vegetables, only eat very few, so I take in more fruit to get my fiber naturally as well as antioxidants.
Some fruits to look for include grapefruits, strawberries, avocados, raspberries, blackberries, bananas, apples, etc.

Meats - lean red meats should be in your diet unless you're a vegan. Every pound of beef contains 2 grams of creatine. Fish such as salmon, tilapia, and tuna. I'm not a big fan of chicken, but it's cheap. Turkey is pound for pound one of the leanest meats you will find (the breast part has about 40g protein to 0.5g fat in 6 oz serving or somewhere in that area). For vegans, beans should be your protein source, black beans especially.

Coincidentally, hormones are produced from the fats you ingest, and particularly, testosterone is produced from saturated fat. So don't cut out all the saturated fat from your diet, you need a little bit to keep your metabolism anabolic.

Supplements - take a multivitamin, and take fish oil. I repeat take fish oil. You won't notice the effects of fish oil at first, but over time and with consistent consumption, it will show incredible results in your body. I recommend taking at least 2 grams of fish oil per day, and no more than 6 grams per day.

Green Tea - if you can't get the tea (and I mean the actual tea, not the Lipton brand that has other stuff such as lemon grass mixed in) then try going for a Green Tea extract supplement. Green tea has antioxidants known as catchetins which help with metabolism.

And finally... carbs. There is only one time to ingest fast digesting carbs such as dextrose, or white bread or a plain bagel, and that's post-workout. Every thing else should be whole wheat or something of that fashion. I like Fiber-One cereals from General Mills, they got this new honey cluster variety that is just so tasty. And stay away from High Fructose Corn Syrup (yes, you will have to start reading the ingredients on the stuff you buy).

I think that's it for now. Good luck to all of you.

Also women tend to lose weigh slower than men. I do however, think that 2 categories should exist at least. One being a contest for the very heavy people and the second for the less than 50lbs overweight people. The sticks sent in could be divided between the two groups as winning prizes.

Just a thought :blush:

I would be willing to be in the contest and I have no problem with before and after doctor authetication (I friggin' live there). :rolleyes:

bargo

I'd be willing to be an impartial Judge and do countless before and after measurements of all the female participants... pro bono of course!!!

lemme as you fitness guru's a question:

What's do you think of HIT vs longer cardio workouts? HIT meaning High Intensity Training. It's done in 20 minute sessions, broken down into 4 5 minute intervals. Ist minute is moderate pace, 2nd minute is faster paced, 3rd minute is getting on it good, 4th minute is pretty much all you got, 5th minute is reaching down deep and really pushing it. Starts over again. For me, my RHR is about 63-65bpm, and after i get going on this cardio session, i try and keep it from going below 130-135, and try and hit 170 on the 5th stage. How do you think this stacks up against 30 minutes of more moderately paced cardio?

Gator,

I'm not really familiar with the interval training. I've done it before with running sprints, but not with lifting. Have you ever tried circuit training?? Circuit training is basically a lifting routine, but you do less weight and allow yourself minimal time inbetween sets. Here is an example of one I have been doing for quite a while. Its really tough, but it will build strength like crazy!

(this is also taken from the abs diet book)
before you do anything, stretch out really good and do like 5 minutes on the treadmill to get warmed up.

start off with abs, not part of the curcuit
for each part, do 1-2 sets of 10-12
Upper abs (regualr crunches)
Lower abs (leg lifts)
side obliques (side crunches)
transverse abs (bridge-get in a push up position, but you are on your elbows instead of your hands. hold the positon for 45 seconds tightening up your abs as much as possible)
lower back-back extensions

the circuit - You will repeat this circuit 2 times to begin with. after you get used to it you can do 3. Start with lighter weight then you would normally use. go from one exercise to the next as quickly as possible. you should get no more then 45 seconds rest inbetween. at the end of the circuit, rest for one minute before repeating.

Squats 10 reps
bench press 10-12 reps
Pull downs 10-12 reps (after you build strength, you can do actual pull ups)
Military Press 10 reps
Upright Rows 10-12 reps
tricpe pushdowns or dips 10-12 reps
Leg Extensions 10-12 reps
Bicep Curls 10-12 reps
Leg Curls 10-12 reps
repeat

this workout will kick your ass!

On another note, do we have a set cutoff date when participants can no longer sign up??

nevermind, went back and looked. We may want to extend the cutoff date a bit. thats only 2 days out

Yeah Erick, i reckon we do need to extend it, thought we'd get more interest, i guess some folks are skeert, too lazy, like being overweight, or this is a stupid contest :laugh: . so far:

Me
Fatken
JetDr
Bargogirl

Yeah Erick, i reckon we do need to extend it, thought we'd get more interest, i guess some folks are skeert, too lazy, like being overweight, or this is a stupid contest :laugh: . so far:

Me
Fatken
JetDr
Bargogirl

I like being overweight...and this is a stoopid contest....BUT...I'm in!

Me
Fatken
JetDr
Bargogirl

I like being overweight...and this is a stoopid contest....BUT...I'm in!

Wonderful, I can't wait to add your sticks to my humi. :sign:

lemme as you fitness guru's a question:

What's do you think of HIT vs longer cardio workouts? HIT meaning High Intensity Training. It's done in 20 minute sessions, broken down into 4 5 minute intervals. Ist minute is moderate pace, 2nd minute is faster paced, 3rd minute is getting on it good, 4th minute is pretty much all you got, 5th minute is reaching down deep and really pushing it. Starts over again. For me, my RHR is about 63-65bpm, and after i get going on this cardio session, i try and keep it from going below 130-135, and try and hit 170 on the 5th stage. How do you think this stacks up against 30 minutes of more moderately paced cardio?

Frank, with that kind of cardio workout your muscles are bound to experience greater fatigue towards the end. That is not to say that it doesn't get the job done, but HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) has its places as well as steady paced cardio. There are two major differences between the two in terms of results.

HIIT has been shown to burn more fat but less total calories, and as a result preserves muscle mass.

Example of HIIT session

5 minute warm up walk/jog
2 minutes moderate run
2 minutes fast run
2 minutes moderate run
2 minutes mild run
2 minutes fast run
etc. ending with a "cooldown" jog or walk.

Steady paced cardio has been shown to burn more total calories, but not as much fat as HIIT, and if prolonged may trick your body into using muscle protein as a fuel source depending on how long you stretch the cardio session. As a result, you might lose muscle mass and your body fat percentage takes a swing in the more undesired direction.

Example of Steady paced cardio

60 minutes on the tread mill at 6mph

Each cardio session has it's merits, but unless you are interested in running marathons, stick to HIIT, it saves time, preserves muscle, and you won't feel beat.

Edit - forgot to mention, there are two optimal times to do cardio, 1) when you wake up before eating breakfast and 2) after you finish your weight training routine for the day. These are the two times in which your body is depleted of glycogen, and will more likely use fat as a fuel source to power your cardio routine.

Gator,

I'm not really familiar with the interval training. I've done it before with running sprints, but not with lifting. Have you ever tried circuit training?? Circuit training is basically a lifting routine, but you do less weight and allow yourself minimal time inbetween sets. Here is an example of one I have been doing for quite a while. Its really tough, but it will build strength like crazy!

(this is also taken from the abs diet book)
before you do anything, stretch out really good and do like 5 minutes on the treadmill to get warmed up.

start off with abs, not part of the curcuit
for each part, do 1-2 sets of 10-12
Upper abs (regualr crunches)
Lower abs (leg lifts)
side obliques (side crunches)
transverse abs (bridge-get in a push up position, but you are on your elbows instead of your hands. hold the positon for 45 seconds tightening up your abs as much as possible)
lower back-back extensions

the circuit - You will repeat this circuit 2 times to begin with. after you get used to it you can do 3. Start with lighter weight then you would normally use. go from one exercise to the next as quickly as possible. you should get no more then 45 seconds rest inbetween. at the end of the circuit, rest for one minute before repeating.

Squats 10 reps
bench press 10-12 reps
Pull downs 10-12 reps (after you build strength, you can do actual pull ups)
Military Press 10 reps
Upright Rows 10-12 reps
tricpe pushdowns or dips 10-12 reps
Leg Extensions 10-12 reps
Bicep Curls 10-12 reps
Leg Curls 10-12 reps
repeat

this workout will kick your ass!

For this circuit workout, I would recommend doing the abdominal and lower back work at the end of the circuit. Depending on how heavy the squatting sessions and military presses are, a fresh set of abs might be more beneficial in terms of keeping proper form.

Thanks Dave! I do my intense cardio when i get up, before i eat, and i don't eat for an hour. Best i can tell, that burns the maximum body fat, which is what i'm after. I also lift on the HIIT, it works well for me, it really packs in alot of work in a shorter period. I really like Bill Phillips (Body for Life) philosophy and recommendations, as well as some from the Abs diet (i really like their abs work). I know what to do, doing it is the hard part, but i'm highly motivated to get in the best shape of my life, at 42.

Okay I have a question! How do you determine you Body Fat Percentage?

Also I have had 8 surgeries in 4 years (4 of them were last year). In that total, 3 of them were stomach muscle hernia repair and 1 was a breastbone to bellybutton gastric bypass. So if you haven't guessed it yet, I can't do abdominal exercises. My last hernia ripped through 6 weeks after my surgery and by the time I got it fixed I had a grapefruit sized hole in my muscle wall and 13 1/2 feet of lower intestine through the hole (just sittin' there lookin' like I had an alien baby on the way). I had my last surgery a little over 3 months ago but I'm NOT risking another hernia by doing ab crunches. Sooo what kind of work out do you guys suggest if 60 min treadmill or walking won't burn much fat??

Now for the stats (minus %BF):

40 yr old, 5'3, 220 lbs at gym - 222 lbs at Dr office (you pick whichever seems fairer), %BF to be determined!

Goals: My goals will seem a little excessive to the other participants but since I have a stomach roughly the size of a tennis ball (from gastric bypass surgery), and I know that I will lose weight quicker than the others when I cut out junk food, my goal is a bit hefty.

To get down to 185 lbs and build some muscle especially in my arms (and legs, if possible with my restrictions)

The Path: I plan to eat the 60+ grams of protein a day I'm suppose to be eating, eating the 6-8 meals a day I'm suppose to be eating, and cutting out the chocolate :( , fried foods, and anything with simple sugars. I will buy foods to replace them that are healthy alternatives like fat free and sugar free ice cream, use protein powder in ff shakes (then freeze them - a great treat and way to get your protein intake high! Recipe will follow later), and sugar free chocolate occasionally (if that is acceptable to the others??). I have the "Six week body makeover " program but always find a reason not to do it so I may follow that as well and will probably do the target exercises for certain muscle groups. I would like to walk more often and hope to go with my son to the gym for some water exercising.

Currently: I spend a lot of time sleeping ( I am apparently anemic again and need my IV bag of Iron but can't get it until next month with Hannah's surgeries) and sitting around. Right now I am eating as much meat and liver as I can to help with my energy level. I do some chores but (obviously) no heavy lifting. I eat a light yogurt for breakfast and sometimes a couple of yogurts for lunch or fast food, a chocolate candy bar everyday and usually cook a dinner that is rich in taste and fat.

That's about it. Pictures to follow. I've gotta get Mike to take 'em and load 'em!

Thanks Gator for the contest! It gives me a reason to me motivated again ;)

Julie

WTG Julie! I'll let the experts weigh in, but: Fat Free stuff is still crap, usually loaded in simple carbs, i don't think it's better than the regular, plus it's loaded w/ all kinds of artificials and preservatives. Get off the sweets, it won't be that hard, then fruits will taste even more sweet. With your past medical issues, you better contact your doctor as far as what exercise is acceptable. Simply walking 30 min a day will be a great start. Like Dave or Erick said, anything too extreme will shock your system and slow your metabolism down, so simply eating 5-6 times a day, and replacing the junk w/ healthy alternatives will prolly bring home the sticks!