• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Well ain't this some BS

Gator

By $200 to $399, about a month after i paid $599. That pisses me off, they just lowered the value of my phone by $200, i knew i could sell it for close to what i paid for it if i didn't like it, but not now.

Yeah that is weird they are doing that. But, they are giving everyone 100 dollars of apple credit, which doesn't really make up for it, but still. Should have waited! Wish I could get one.

Yeah that is weird they are doing that. But, they are giving everyone 100 dollars of apple credit, which doesn't really make up for it, but still. Should have waited! Wish I could get one.

I didn't know about the $100 of Apple credit, that eases the sting some. I guess they are scared of not meeting their goal of selling a million phones by the end of Sept.?

If you paid with AMEX you can use their price protection and get the difference refunded.

This is not uncommon that you will pay a lot for a brand new phone. Remember when the Razr first came out and it was $500

That's why they call it the "bleeding edge."

Loyalty to customers is one thing. Meeting Wall Street expectations is another.

Wilkey

There's a sucker born every minute...and two to take 'em.

Joseph ("Paper Collar Joe") Bessimer

You always pay more for a new product and end up being less satisfied in the end because something better comes along. I try to buy something when I know all the kinks are worked out and that usually coincides with those price drops.

-Mark

well sure, price always goes down with time, but usually not 2 months and by almost 50% in that amount of time. Getting the $100 back makes a difference, i'm back to being happy i bought it, it's a great device.

hello everyone,

no, unfortunately it ain't BS, it's just the way the technology sector works. as with any new hot product (especially high-tech gadgets) the early adopters always "pay through the nose" just to be the first one on the block to have the latest-and-greatest gadget. those who wait it out to see how things pan out will always get it at a lower price. the higher prices charged to the early adopters lets the company pour more money into further R&D which allows them to continue to come out with innovative products. also remember that technology products never get more expensive over time and that most of them are simply commodity products. it all comes down to where you want to be on the technology curve--the bleeding edge, the middle of the pack or the bargain hunters.

i don't bemoan apple for making this decision. i think it was the right choice. i considered getting an iphone but for the price (with no subsidy and still having to pay the same monthly rates as everyone else) it was not worth it to me. even at $400 it still isn't ($200 or a different monthly rate structure and now we're talking).

thanks,
mike
(a die-hard apple fan)

This is not uncommon that you will pay a lot for a brand new phone. Remember when the Razr first came out and it was $500

Probably because they released the iPod Touch which is most of the iPhone minus the phone.

this is probably another factor in the price drop.

the first time i saw a photo of the new ipod touch i thought "oh, it looks just like an iphone without the phone"

thanks,
mike

Probably because they released the iPod Touch which is most of the iPhone minus the phone.

That's why they call it the "bleeding edge."

Loyalty to customers is one thing. Meeting Wall Street expectations is another.

Wilkey

Correct, and what they are really doing with the $100 credit is increasing their potential "in store sales" figures for the next quarter. It all comes down to WallStreet.

So still, everyone is out $200. If you bought an iPhone but don't plan on purchasing anymore apple equipment, you're out that $100 credit as well. $599 was way overpriced in my opinion. They're doing this since sales are not nearly has high as they anticipated. Still wish they would release their OS to the PC community, would give Apple much more market share. :)

hello everyone,

no, unfortunately it ain't BS, it's just the way the technology sector works. as with any new hot product (especially high-tech gadgets) the early adopters always "pay through the nose" just to be the first one on the block to have the latest-and-greatest gadget. those who wait it out to see how things pan out will always get it at a lower price. the higher prices charged to the early adopters lets the company pour more money into further R&D which allows them to continue to come out with innovative products. also remember that technology products never get more expensive over time and that most of them are simply commodity products. it all comes down to where you want to be on the technology curve--the bleeding edge, the middle of the pack or the bargain hunters.

i don't bemoan apple for making this decision. i think it was the right choice. i considered getting an iphone but for the price (with no subsidy and still having to pay the same monthly rates as everyone else) it was not worth it to me. even at $400 it still isn't ($200 or a different monthly rate structure and now we're talking).

thanks,
mike
(a die-hard apple fan)

I don't disagree with your statement here except that I have never seen a price drop that drastic that fast on any technology. It took a year for Sony to drop the price of the PS3 $100 for apple to drop the price of the iphone by $200 ounds more like they haven't sold as well as they were hoping they would and they want this to give them a boost. It's a good marketing plan yes and the $100 dollars to people who bought it early is bound to help keep people loyal. It's extremely inaccurate to say that this type of thing happens all the time with technology. Price drops yes massive price drops after 2 months no.

The thing I think is interesting is the major drop is taking a huge amount of markup off these devices. I guess they must have some wiggle room. Playstation says they lose money on each system they sell at 500. I am not sure how true that is but the key with that product is the continued purchasing of games and blu-ray movies. I mean I know Apple probably sells more on their I Tunes site to IPhone customers but do you think it is enough to continue to draw in the profits they had from the extra 200 in margin? What do you guys think?

AT&T are probably paying for half that loss. Assuming sales are down and this has forced a reduction in price, Apple must have something in their contract with
AT&T based on the amount of units sold in a certain time frame. Having said that, I doubt the cost of that unit runs anywhere near $100...is it made in China? Just my 0.02!

Brian