• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What about the band?

Eins

From the pictures of cigars in action, it looks like the band stays on at least for a while. When do you guys take it off?

On the last HdM I smoked, the band was stuck to the wrapper, so I ripped off a little piece of the wrapper. Does that happen once in a while or was my case a rare exception?

Let me guess who will be the first to respond: coventrycat? :D

Sorry if you wanted CC to respond first, but I routinely take off the band before lighting. That way if it is really good, I don't have to screw with it when it is all wet and it doesn't get on the mouth. Sometimes a small piece of the wrapper does come off and that may be one reason to wait until the band is damp. IMHO it is all personal preference anyway.

I remember reading, when I was first getting into cigar smoking, that it's proper cigar "etiquette" to take the band off before smoking it. I think I did it once, and haven't since because some wrapper came off with it.
if the band is left on for a while after lighting a cigar, the warmth seems to make the glue a little less adhered to the wrapper, and it comes off easier.
I'll often leave the band on until the lit end gets an inch or so away from it.

but if I remember correctly, the reason given for taking the band off first was that leaving the band on is sorta looked upon as "showing off", which seemed a bit strange to me.
hmmm...I wonder if the person/people who came up with that custom remove the emblems from their automobiles. or all the tags from their clothing.

puffnstuff said:
I remember reading, when I was first getting into cigar smoking, that it's proper cigar "etiquette" to take the band off before smoking it. I think I did it once, and haven't since because some wrapper came off with it.
if the band is left on for a while after lighting a cigar, the warmth seems to make the glue a little less adhered to the wrapper, and it comes off easier.
I'll often leave the band on until the lit end gets an inch or so away from it.

but if I remember correctly, the reason given for taking the band off first was that leaving the band on is sorta looked upon as "showing off", which seemed a bit strange to me.
hmmm...I wonder if the person/people who came up with that custom remove the emblems from their automobiles. or all the tags from their clothing.
[snapback]150141[/snapback]​

I believe it's a bigger deal over in Europe.

I take mine off before I light it up, unless the band gives up a fight. Then I just light the cigar and smoke it down an inch or so and try again.

Well,
either you leave it on b/c it looks cool and is a conversation starter ["Oh, you're smoking an XXX, how is it?"]

or, you take it off and enjoy it as it was ment to be smoked.

Personally, will usu. leave the band on for about 3/4ths of the smoke, and take it off at the end.

Personally, will usu. leave the band on for about 3/4ths of the smoke, and take it off at the end.

I do the same thing. I read that it is considered very bad form in Europe to leave it on, but in America it's a personal preference thing.

Okay then, since I'm European, I'll take it off (if it slides and therefore won't take wrapper with it--if it sticks, I'll pretend to be American).

What does CABS stand for?

Wildcard said:
I believe it's a bigger deal over in Europe.

I take mine off before I light it up, unless the band gives up a fight. Then I just light the cigar and smoke it down an inch or so and try again.
[snapback]150145[/snapback]​

Ditto here. I hate having to mess with it "During" the smoke, so I always attempt to remove it before I toast the foot.

I take mine off before I light it up, unless the band sticks
Then I wait til the cigar warms and the band will come off without
damaging the wraper

Bill

I take it off when I've smoked over half of the cigar. Depends on how good a cigar it is, if I get that far ;)

Eins said:
Okay then, since I'm European, I'll take it off (if it slides and therefore won't take wrapper with it--if it sticks, I'll pretend to be American).

What does CABS stand for?
[snapback]150175[/snapback]​

"Cabinets" are boxes of 50 cigars. Cuban cigars that are sold this way do not have the bands on them. Also these cigars sold in cabinets or SLB's (slide lid boxes) are ROUND, not "box pressed" which is also nice ;)

Eshaw99 said:
I do the same thing. I read that it is considered very bad form in Europe to leave it on, but in America it's a personal preference thing.
true, and I reckon that since we yanks are a right crude lot, we're pardoned for leaving the bloody bands on. ;)

Sorry eins, I never REALLY did answer your original question. I remove bands immediately, even before I light up. I find that if I left them on, they'd wind up touching my lips and I really don't like the taste of paper.

I leave them on for a while, if I like the smoke enough to go down past the band I'll take it off, if I don't it will be out before I have to think about it.

Generally the band stays on for the first inch or two...after that I make a decision:

Is this stick good enough to keep going to the nub or not?

If it is, I'll slide the band off...if it's not, I'll toss it when it gets to the band.

Then again, occasionally I'll just yank the band off from the get-go if I really want to. It's all pretty random.

Eins;

I take off the band on my cigars once the glue melts. You can destroy the wrapper if you pull it off when the glue is still sticky.

I have never put much stock in keeping the band on to show what you are smoking. I get most of my cigars from a shop in Sacramento, they are all hand made and are the same brand. Only a few of the sizes are banded the rest are naked.

The best thing that you can do is whatever you want. If you want to leave it on, great. If not wait until the glue melts slowly take it off.

When I first started smoking, I took off the bands and started making a book of bands so I would remeber down the road which ones I've smoked. Well, I began to notice that the wrapper would always peal. One of my buddies suggested leaving the band on til the end, so I did, and it's never really happened again. I always try to keep the bands. It's funny to see how many build up in my coat or pants pockets after a weekend out to bars. also, i read some where that bands were first created so that gentlemen didn't get there fingers dirty while smoking, which would make you think it would be rude to take it off, but those damn europeans, who know what they will think of next.

inflatus, who is the hot chick on your signature? lol

One thing I forgot, the only time someone has ever pointed out a band, while I was sitting at a redlight smoking a La Aurora Pref- whatever, the red tube one, and a man asked me if it was a Sosa, and then went on and on about Sosa, so I got a Sosa, and liked it. So I guess bands are good when left on sometimes.