• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What about using a curio cabinet as a humidor?

Bu11dog

Someone here in town has one for sale dirt cheap. Glass shelves, sides, doors, built in lights. You could easily add some cedar, humidification, fans etc.
It looks like it would make a very nice addition to the downstairs and give me a ton of room (my downstairs is 65-70 degrees year round).

I suppose you could do it though I personally am not crazy about the idea. Curio cabinets typically have glass fronts and sides for displaying. Covering the glass with Spanish cedar would be an eyesore. Have you checked for armoires or enclosed entertainment centers? They're pretty easy to find cheap, with everyone buying plasma TVs and such.

A quick check of Craigslist in the Omaha area yielded these finds:

http://omaha.craigslist.org/fuo/857327109.html
http://omaha.craigslist.org/fuo/857294031.html
http://omaha.craigslist.org/fuo/849343411.html

I got a chance to see Jackstraw's armoire-turned-humidor, and it looked with great with minimal effort. If you search around, you can find a pic of it.

Someone here in town has one for sale dirt cheap. Glass shelves, sides, doors, built in lights. You could easily add some cedar, humidification, fans etc.
It looks like it would make a very nice addition to the downstairs and give me a ton of room (my downstairs is 65-70 degrees year round).

All that glass would concern me. Guess it could be done by removing the glass shelving if possible and replacing them with wood (cedar). The seal might also be an issue. You'd be much better off with what is described in the above post.

I'd be concerned about the seal, unless you did some work on it.

I did one and here's the link! It's actually pretty easy, I popped off the back panel and sealed it up with silicone and ran a bead of putty on all glass. It isn't the best conversion, but it works better than I thought. The one area that you need to pay more attention to is the door. It's difficult to get a good seal on something that doesn't have a tight tolerance, so be creative. I used weather stripping at first but my basement is pretty much a huge humidor ( My basement is probably 65 degrees year round and rH is about 63% year round) so I quit using the weather stripping.

I'm curious what the glass issue is for the first two respondents. Wood (hard wood and Spanish Cedar) is not the end all, be all, material in humidity maintenance containers. I do agree with the seal concern expressed.

I'd say the true answer lies in the cabinet's construction and your general handyman abilities (i.e. how adept you are at shoring up any seals and if you can do such in a pleasant appearing manner).

edit to add:
My only true beef with glass is that it does not aid in buffering against temperature and humidity swings. But you say you have a favorable mean temperature where you will store the cabinet and the boxes kept inside would provide plenty of cedar for help in maintaining a steady humidity. Seems like this can easily be done for you on the cheap.

indyrob, that is amazing!!! I have an idea that I'm holding out for. I found a couple broken Grandfather clocks in town. I'm trying to hawk something for it on another site. I have a thing for Grandfather clock's and thought it would be cool to use the center portion for cigars and have a friend of mine just make the clock part work like the cheapo wall clocks but with the cool front still on. It wouldn't be too hard to veneer the sides and put in some cedar shelves. That's kind of my grail of humi's.

Well, there's good news and bad news. Here is the link for the curio:
http://omaha.craigslist.org/fuo/857484885.html
The wife saw it and wants it for our crystal.
I like the first one you posted khari, I'm going to email them for some more pics.

The problem with most TV cabinets are that the backs are open, and just have a thick cardboard like back at best. They also would be very hard to seal the front doors.
Indyrobs conversion of a China Hutch, or an antique closet would work best IMHO.

I'm curious what the glass issue is for the first two respondents. Wood (hard wood and Spanish Cedar) is not the end all, be all, material in humidity maintenance containers. I do agree with the seal concern expressed.

I'd say the true answer lies in the cabinet's construction and your general handyman abilities (i.e. how adept you are at shoring up any seals and if you can do such in a pleasant appearing manner).

edit to add:
My only true beef with glass is that it does not aid in buffering against temperature and humidity swings. But you say you have a favorable mean temperature where you will store the cabinet and the boxes kept inside would provide plenty of cedar for help in maintaining a steady humidity. Seems like this can easily be done for you on the cheap.

My main concern with all that glass is how safe it is to have in a humidor when one (me) would be in and out of there 2-3 times a day. You would just have to be real careful not to chip or crack it. I agree that wood is not the end all, as many store in tupperware. I also agree with your point of it not helping AT ALL to regulate humidity. My wife has a nice curio with all of her chotchkies inside. She goes in there about 3 times a year, not on a daily basis. Just my 2 cents

I did one and here's the link! It's actually pretty easy, I popped off the back panel and sealed it up with silicone and ran a bead of putty on all glass. It isn't the best conversion, but it works better than I thought. The one area that you need to pay more attention to is the door. It's difficult to get a good seal on something that doesn't have a tight tolerance, so be creative. I used weather stripping at first but my basement is pretty much a huge humidor ( My basement is probably 65 degrees year round and rH is about 63% year round) so I quit using the weather stripping.

looks like you have your own stogie shop...very nice

I have been looking for a wooden gun cabinet on Craigslist locally to do the same thing. I like the idea of a glass fron and sides that can be lined with Sp cedar. We have a local Rockler here where I can get the cedar relatively cheap.