• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What brings you to CP?

If you guys are done hugging it out, I'm here to learn more about the things I'm interested in: booze, cigars, grilling and the like. These days I read much more then I post, and though I've been a member for a number of years, I don't consider my self a FOG. I'm more of a FOob. I'm a big believe in having ones title dictated by others rather then self appointed. So those that consider themselves a FOB or a everlasting Noob should see if others feel similar before making that declaration. As for my self appointed FOob status, please critique as necessary

I used to come here many times a day as I would wait for 5 minute process at work. Now that I'm have a government computer, I don't think I can do it with the IT Dept. watching where I go. I come here for the friends I've made and hope to make. I'm a perma-newb. I try to read up, but still don't know much of anything related to cigars, booze or much of anything else. Maybe this is related to what an old professor told me, "The more you learn the more you realize how little you actually know."

When I first joined I thought that my experience of working in a smoke shop would benefit the community as a whole. I quickly learned (becasue I read more than I posted) that I don't know squat. My role at CP has yet to be determined. I think the community will define my role more than me telling the community I will provide.

Educator, Enforcer - but my main purpose is to make you think.

Ah damn I miss you guys!! And guess what!! I'm smoking a stogie as I type! :D.

Oh and edit to add...I come because I miss you guys! Even Doc! Lol! :D

That is music to my ears, Greg! Welcome back mang.

Interesting topic.

The reason I come here is to do in cyberspace what I was taught to do 'locally'...for lack of a better word. I was nurtured into cigar smoking by a older generation of family & friends who taught that it wasn't just about the smoking of a cylindrically rolled tube of tobacco....it represented a whole lot more. It was almost a 'right of passage'. In that I mean, once you were old enough to truly understand that it was a certain kind of MAN that smoked them, you were introduced to them and welcomed by an avid smoker. I was taught that only a chosen few can carry this gauntlet, one that is mature, confident, respected, and admired over time based on their actions. It was those traits that had to be recognized by another cigar smoker to then be invited into this fraternity of cigar smoking manhood. Anyone can go out and buy a cigar and stick it in their mouth and declare they possession of these traits...but in the company of other cigar smokers, if you didn't posses these attributes, you were quickly found out as being a phony. Obviously you can see this means much more to me than just puffing on a cigar...the earning of respect from your peers on a consistent basis is demanded...which is why I called it a 'right of passage'.

So I guess I come here to read what the newer members write and to determine if those posting are truly a worthy participant into this brotherhood...not by my standards, but those handed down to me from previous generations behind me. I try to get a feel for someone as I read what they write...and if I truly feel that they posses those qualities and seem to struggle here at CP, that's when I try to nurture them (as I once was many years ago by my Uncle) via PM. This is an avocation for a chosen few and I do this to further our pastime to a new generation so it remains alive and well long after I'm gone.

I don't consider myself some kind of Cigar Guru or the definitive judge on all things cigar or to judge someone's degree of manhood...I just get a feel for someone who has made an attempt by their own will to join us and proceed from there. All I am is a guide from a previous generation to a newer generation.

Most of the older members can spot a 'faker' from the real thing very quickly, and by that I mean..."are you here for the right reasons?" I'm not one of those members. I rely on their judgment to expose those who do not belong...and usually those types quickly leave. But what I do is take those who survive the hazing and hopefully guide them in a possessive direction...privately, outside of the public forums.

As for what my 'role' is...that's for others to determine, not myself. But based on the history of Cigar Pass prior to my joining, I'm not sure I have one...this place has been in good hands long before I appeared. All I hope for is to blend in as a positive influence on Rod's vision.

Not sure what my role is, but I come to fraternize with like minded people....many of whom aren't around any longer. I need to get back into conversations around here again, this used to be my daily place, work has restricted more but I'll find a way.

I think the topic should be "What brings you to CP" opposed to "what is your role".

I ask you because I'm curious on what some would say or think there role is here vs. what others think your role is. To me I have seen a lot of disrespect here on the boards to different guys over the short year and a half I have been here and I have always looked the other way but I need to get this off my chest! This is not to call out any specific member for anything they have said to me specifically or to another member. I know I have been guilty of some of these things before. I believe there are guys in this board some new and some old that revert to the same old sayings to slap guys down to where they THINK that persons role is. It's always "search is your friend" without anything else. How about trying to answer there question but also direct them to the search engine for further assistance. "Read more post less" How do you know what they have or have not read? Maybe they missed something in their searching or miss read something. Not everyone is perfect. Why would it bother you if someone has a higher post count in a short time. Cigar Pass is said to be a friendly community and to be friendly you need to post stuff and put your 2 cents in. I think everyone gets caught up in the "FOG" and "NEWBIE" thing and in my opinion I can count on 1 hand who I would consider a "FOG" here. So does that make everyone else a NEWBIE" and they have to walk on eggshells make sure they don't post to much and read read read!

All in all I think it's sad how some will act and treat another member because they think they are better than that person. Cigar pass is a community and we should treat everyone with the same respect that we want and not give them bullshit answers just because we think we are better than them. How do you expect this place to grow it we are constantly disrespecting each other.

So Again I ask you whats your role? Why do you come to Cigar Pass regularly?

I'll start it off.

I come to Cigar Pass multiple times a day, my wife would say I'm addict...LOL I would have to agree I love this place and the friendships I have built from this place. I only frequent CP and I am not active anywhere else. For me I like to share my experiences of different cigars with you guys. Get recommendations on new cigars or some I haven't even tried. Talk about sports and join in on that the random draw contests. I like to post up my ugly mug trying to do a half ass video reviews. I enjoy reading the endless amounts of reviews done my some great members. I love to hold contests and just send out a few sticks to someone to try and brighten their day. I'm just a guy that loves cigars and CP.

Paul

Search is your friend Paul. Now shut up, read more and post less while you're at it. ;)

Come on Gary behave with the noobs ! lol

I think the community here is very welcoming and looks out for the membership first.
I think this is why some comment could be viewed as a bit hars but really, I mean really, when I compare the way people behave around here comprared to the other forum I frequent we are somewhat more of a family than a forum. ON some the forum are overregulated to a point it's a place where they handle kids, other it's an all out 'lets see how thick your hide is' and here everything seems to balence out nicely Only have to remeber that sometimes in a family some members rub each other the wrong way but that dont mean they dont like each other.

When I first came here it was a CC learning purpose only. I read a lot without being a member and felt there was something around here I have not seen nowhere yet. I am a active member on other forums, made many 'virtual friends' over them but I never seen a membership of any virtual community that protect (it's not loong before the spammers/oaxers are identified and banned), share (all the info about cigars here is phenomenal) and gives back out to its members like this one (all the contest and bombing that goes around). I remember the first post I read about bombing someone and I tought to myself : 'these people are crayzy!'. The behind the curtain stuff that I perceived here was nowhere near what it is in reality. And in reality half of the fun here happens behind the scene I'd say.

So I made an account and posted an intro. It did not take long for some to come and say hi and welcome me to the community. I gladly gave, hapily traded and was graciously invited to my first pass all before my frist birthday (wich is still on queue for the next bisextile year lol). One thing is for sure I like this place very much and I think it's a jewel in internet communities.

Now My role here / purpose comming on here is to expand my knowledge of cigars while making valued friendships thru time.

And here I thought it was turning the rest of America on to French Canadian jokes.

Doc

Tricky... My role has changed a lot over the years. I think it depends on what is going on in my life at a given time and in the cigar community. At some times this has been a place to learn and grow out a fellowship of friends and acquaintances in the cigar world. Sometimes I come here for the ball busting or to stir things up when they get too dull. Sometimes I come here because it is really where I started being active on the boards and it is fun to give back by running a pass or a contest. Sometimes I come here to clean up the garbage because somebody got ripped off. Ultimately the reason I come back is probably familiarity and history. I have herfed with literally hundreds of people from this board and have formed some very real and long-standing friendships. Because of this board, wherever I go I know there will be someone to grab a meal and a smoke with. I know if I go to LA number the actor will go out of his way to meet me in the middle of the week (and although we don't talk as much as we once did I am sure Rod or Jon would be happy to share a smoke too). Just in the last 6 months I have met with dozens of cp folks across half a dozen states (and not always when it was convenient or easy for them). There aren't too many communities like that.

My first visit to CP was to learn about cigar storage, I wanted to hear what people had to say who had used and tried different methods over long periods of time. And I found a wealth of information on that and all things cigar related.

The tons of info was great, but the camaraderie was what really got to me. I enjoyed the aspect of "community" and wanted to be a part of it. I've made some good friends and look forward to meeting more as time goes on. Now I visit CP as much as I can, its my virtual "man cave". Its where I go to forget about whatever is stressing me out, and hopefully give something back to the group. I'd like to contribute more.

My role here is as fact checker and archivist for pre-2008 events. Some day I hope to achieve 3000 posts.

(Jim told me to do it ! :( )

Finally....some substance, and this is why I keep coming back. Threads like this, if read in its entirety, can really be beneficial. These are the types of threads that you can truly take something good away from, and ironically, it has nothing to do with a cigar. ;) The life lessons, experiences, jokes, reviews, friendships, fellowships, benefits, fundraisers, knowledge, PIF Bombs and the list goes on and on. Too much good comes from this community, and for that reason, I'll be sticking around.

That, and I like the fact that I really enjoy the gentle tone and politeness in Doc's comments, or how JHolmes comes out of left field when things are serious with a one-liner that makes you spit your coffee, and when Rod chimes in like a concerned 'Alpha' looking after his wolf-pack to keep everyone on the straight and narrow , or how insight is literally 'everywhere', and how KidMontana is overseas serving our country - yet takes the time from his hellish schedule to send me a Frank Jr. (thanks again), or how Aussie Shaun thinks he's safe by international waters, or be able to meet and share laughs w/ JoeB, ironpeddler thefatguy,MarkJr.,BBS, and many others @ an amazing HERF (thanks again stogieman), etc . . . etc. . . etc. . .

It's a great community fellas. Everyone contributes in 'their' own way.
Like an amazing Mosaic - some are more polished and brighter than others, but without the dull and sharpe edges - it wouldn't work. Let that marinate.

When I joined CP I wanted to learn as much about cigars, cigar storage, and to find cigars I would really enjoy. What I found was this and much more. I found an entire community that enjoys cigars and that quite of few of the members share many of the same interests outside of cigars that I enjoy. This is what has keept me hooked on CP.

Cigar smoking for me is a solitary time since I can only enjoy two a week, usually after 10PM, and in the back yard. I have attended a few herfs over the years and really enjoyed meeting other members, but they are usually quite a distance away and my shcedule just dosen't allow the time. CP is my only link to other cigar smokers and the wealth of information they have. As Joebunaga said, it is my vertual man cave. I really enjoy reading the many posts and occasionally throw in my two cents.