• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What brings you to CP?

Wanted to learn about cigars, my first box was that awful Cohiba brand made in the DR, we aren't talking the red dot. I definitely learned a lot, but consider myself a small time player in cigars, my humidor would fit in a big backpack.

Great question and it also took me a little while to think about it. I think originally I came here to learn more about cigars and just absorb as much information as possible. All I had available to me were the cigar.com catalogs I would get every month that told me every other cigar was amazing in every conceivable way. But after lurking for a while and picking up some oft-mentioned sticks I hadn't tried before, this hobby got way more expensive fast and my smoking rate couldn't keep up with my purchase rate. So now I just come by each morning and check up on any interesting topics or some good cigar reviews and live vicariously though everyone's experiences. Oh...I do like very sciency topics, always get a kick outta those.

(Jim told me to do it ! :( )

Finally....some substance, and this is why I keep coming back. Threads like this, if read in its entirety, can really be beneficial. These are the types of threads that you can truly take something good away from, and ironically, it has nothing to do with a cigar. ;) The life lessons, experiences, jokes, reviews, friendships, fellowships, benefits, fundraisers, knowledge, PIF Bombs and the list goes on and on. Too much good comes from this community, and for that reason, I'll be sticking around.

That, and I like the fact that I really enjoy the gentle tone and politeness in Doc's comments, or how JHolmes comes out of left field when things are serious with a one-liner that makes you spit your coffee, and when Rod chimes in like a concerned 'Alpha' looking after his wolf-pack to keep everyone on the straight and narrow , or how insight is literally 'everywhere', and how KidMontana is overseas serving our country - yet takes the time from his hellish schedule to send me a Frank Jr. (thanks again), or how Aussie Shaun thinks he's safe by international waters, or be able to meet and share laughs w/ JoeB and ironpeddler @ an amazing HERF, etc . . . etc. . . etc. . .

It's a great community fellas. Everyone contributes in 'their' own way.
Like an amazing Mosaic - some are more polished and brighter, but without the dull and sharpe edges - it wouldn't work.
Let that marinate.

My ears are burning Austen, did you forget that I have your addie bro. Never step on Supermans cape young man.

[font=Helvetica Neue'][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]
My ears are burning Austen, did you forget that I have your addie bro. Never step on Supermans cape young man.

Never pull on a Warewolf's hair. There, fixed it for you Shaun. ;)
Also, I moved. :p[/background]
[/font]

I was introduced to CP by a brother I met at a bar and enjoyed a cigar with that said he was a member here, but has made zero posts since I've been here.

I was hoping to meet likeminded people and perhaps develop some friendships. Friendships are hard to build from a keyboard.

Being older than most members, I think a little differently due to my time and experiences here on earth, and as such tend to relate to the senior members more. It's not that I don't appreciate the youthful contingent, It's because I understand how and why the older guys think as they do. Although I enjoy some of the banter here, I can see where occasionally it gets out of hand. I generally read those threads, but I tend leave the criticism aspect to the more experienced members.

I also feel that the forum has changed quite a bit, even over the 2 years I have been a member. There has been a huge infusion of youthful opinions which in some instances has brought a new energy. But in some instances it has also brought disrespect for traditions here.

My role here is to try and interject humor where I can, share my knowledge wherever it can help, and continue to educate myself through the combined knowledge of this community.

I like this place. I'll keep hanging out.

I come for the orange flavored chicken.

Maybe it's just me (though I suspect not) but I view CP as a very large room that we all enter to chat with both virtual friends and friends we've had a chance to meet. It's a special room. A room that I don't plan on leaving anytime soon and that I hold in high regard. So getting back to Paul's original post, when someone new swings open the door and doesn't wipe their feet on the mat and reaches for a drink, well, it irks me a bit. Not that I'll kick them out, but I might not extend them the welcome handshake that I do others. Their behavior seems disrespectful to me, and while I'm not that old, typical of today's instant-gratification me-me-me self absorbed types. Types I don't really care to hang out with and types that don't typically vibe with CP.

I don't participate in many forums, but of the ones I do, CP has a very unique feeling about it's members. It's much more of a community here and I suppose as such we hold each other to higher standards than we would to people posting comments on youtube.

What keeps me coming back? You guys do.

Tough question Paul. When you first asked role I didn't have an answer. I've thought long and hard here and I think I lean toward Gary's idea mostly, maybe that's why we get along, lol.
I was introduced to CP by a member whom I met at a B&M, Tommy J. (Hudson Valley). I signed up a read, but really didn't get it. I enjoy hanging out and smoking cigars and talking about whatever and the conversations are usually great with great people and I didn't think I needed to do this online. I came back after a lot of prompting from guys I hang out with that are on here and I'm glad I did. I view this place as virtual B&M. I can't always stop at a shop during the day, but i can log on here for a few. Therefore, I treat people the same way I would if they came into a shop. I tell everyone I can walk into any cigar shop or masonic lodge and I meet the best people.
Its just like at a shop, we hang out enjoy good cigars and great conversation. People who's intentions are not good get called out and have to grow up before we, as a group, will take them in, but when they mature they are always welcome back. Some of them, when they have a good attitude, but are immature, will be taken in and given advice on maturity and manhood as we see it to be. So this is why I agree with Gary on his "right of passage".
I wouldn't bite my tounge in person so I don't think I should have to here. Those that know me can tell you I'm actually VERY laid back here compared to in person. When I see someone who is phony I call them out and so do most of the guys here and that's what I like.
I have grown to love this place as I do a B&M and that is why I come back.

Thanks for making me think Paul,

Ian

Just reread my post and realized I broke one of the CP rules. I have a lot of run on sentences. My grammar is horrible, sorry, -_-. I was just thinking and typing on my phone.

Just thought I would bump an older thread with the influx of new "NEWBs". I thought they could benefit, as well as participate.  Remember ladies and gents - there is an amazing plethora of knowledge and great conversation had here on CP in the past. By using the search box, you can really obtain some great advice, as well as finding out more about one another, and learn a little about our 'personalities' when responding to threads. We are always here to lend a hand, and I know this saying is much debated, but "search is your friend".  :thumbs:  Feel free to chime in on older threads, regardless of there last activity. 

bfreebern said:
Not sure what my role is, but I come to fraternize with like minded people....many of whom aren't around any longer. I need to get back into conversations around here again, this used to be my daily place, work has restricted more but I'll find a way.

If memory serves me from my early days here, you are the keeper of the CP Tiara. Know your role.

As to what brought me here, that would be my passion for cigars and knowledge. What has kept me here is the true comradeship amongst a group of people who have never, for the most part, ever met face to face. The idea that a sense of community can exist in cyberspace is truly a tough task to pull off. It doesn't come easily or at little to no cost. Sacrifices must be made and outsiders with ill intent must be dealt with swiftly and studiously. 
That said I have had the pleasure of actually meeting some of the members here face to face thanks to my job. I wouldn't trade that for the world.
As for my role here, I'd say its to read, learn and occasionally post where necessary. That and make sure you guys know when Padron will be in town. :p  

OutlawD said:
Not sure what my role is, but I come to fraternize with like minded people....many of whom aren't around any longer. I need to get back into conversations around here again, this used to be my daily place, work has restricted more but I'll find a way.

If memory serves me from my early days here, you are the keeper of the CP Tiara. Know your role.

As to what brought me here, that would be my passion for cigars and knowledge. What has kept me here is the true comradeship amongst a group of people who have never, for the most part, ever met face to face. The idea that a sense of community can exist in cyberspace is truly a tough task to pull off. It doesn't come easily or at little to no cost. Sacrifices must be made and outsiders with ill intent must be dealt with swiftly and studiously. 
That said I have had the pleasure of actually meeting some of the members here face to face thanks to my job. I wouldn't trade that for the world.
As for my role here, I'd say its to read, learn and occasionally post where necessary. That and make sure you guys know when Padron will be in town. :p  
I'll be in town for the Room 101 event at the south store next weekend. Will you be working? Oh and when is the Padron event?

I had to bump this thread... Just too good to be sitting dormmate for soooo long...

edit: I would love to hear from current members on this subject as well...

Last edited: