• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What cut do you use?

Cakalac

So the first few weeks of smoking I was getting in the groove of what "strength" sticks I could handle. While I'm a nicotine wimp because I have no prior smoking experience of 42yrs, I was finding my groove and finding the smokes I liked. I was using a regular straight cut. Over the last few weeks I have been using a V cut for my smokes. Does the "cut" you use have anything to do w/ how strong of an effect you may have from the smoke? In other words could the V cut make it harder to smoke from a nicotine strength standpoint?

Not that I'm aware of, cut is more about draw flow and personal choice. I typically use a punch (small hole) but with heavier cigars do not as the smaller cut tends to build up tar. If this build up touches the tongue it's unpleasant.

After wondering...I tried to research it and found this from Holts. I'm a novice so in reality, I'm just learning so I don't know. I just know since I've started using the V cut I've been unable to finish a mild cigar without getting too high. I'm going to go back to straight cut and see what happens.

After wondering...I tried to research it and found this from Holts. I'm a novice so in reality, I'm just learning so I don't know. I just know since I've started using the V cut I've been unable to finish a mild cigar without getting too high. I'm going to go back to straight cut and see what happens.
What size cigar are you smoking?

I would say that smaller cigars, would help this situation quite a lot. Nearly all major manufacturers make a smaller cigar. Some sold in tins but many find them to be the equal of the larger brethren.

Try a few half corona, you can always smoke more of them if you want a longer smoke.

I would say that smaller cigars, would help this situation quite a lot. Nearly all major manufacturers make a smaller cigar. Some sold in tins but many find them to be the equal of the larger brethren.

Try a few half corona, you can always smoke more of them if you want a longer smoke.
Think of it like medication dosing. The more tobacco the more nicotine.

I don't like a tight draw, I think I get more buzzed trying to repeatedly puff on a tight smoke than I do an easy puff on a better draw.

That said, just keep at it. You'll eventually get a bit of a tolerance built up and will be able to enjoy a wider variety of cigars. If you start getting buzzed, just slow down a little. I've only ever straight cut or faux-punch using an X-Acto to cut a circle into the cap. I've not noticed any difference in strength between those two methods.

I don't like a tight draw, I think I get more buzzed trying to repeatedly puff on a tight smoke than I do an easy puff on a better draw.
This ^

Fighting to keep a cigar lit is a sure path to the nic sweats. Shipping on a sweet drink as you smoke will help too.

I've got straight cutters, V-cutters, and a nice punch. I've tried them all on various cigars, but for me, opening up the cigar for smoking is the goal. Which is why 99 times out of 100, I reach for my Palio or Xikar dual blade straight cutters. Takes care and a little practice to do it right, but IMHO it's worth the effort. As they say, one man's opinion.....

Over the years I have used in most cases a simple straightforward cutting tool or a V-cut tool.
Now, due to poor construction and manufacturing of some cigars, and my enjoyment of small gauge cigars.
I have recently been using exclusively a cigar punch and a retractable cigar piercer.. It helps with poor and tight construction problems especially at the head of the cigar.652CD870-71F7-4F5B-8D65-5EEF090C1BAD.jpeg

Last edited:
Over the years I have used in most cases a simple straightforward cutting tool or a V-cut tool.
Now, due to poor construction and manufacturing of some cigars, and my enjoyment of small gauge cigars.
I have recently been using exclusively a cigar punch and a retractable cigar piercer.. It helps with poor and tight construction problems especially at the head of the cigar.
That's pretty cool too the piercing tool. Don't hear much about those

I have tried most of the cuts over the years. I used to love the punch, but for a long time now I have been using the V-cut. I find it is a nice clean cut. I do not believe there is any impact to the strength of a cigar based on the cut, at least I have never noticed any. There are other things though like if you are smoking on an empty stomach, etc that would impact your reaction to a cigar.

Either a V or a straight cut. Although my straight cuts are very rarely straight.😂

All depends on the cigar but it’ll be a straight cutter or a punch of which I have two sizes which great…..thanks for the idea @tone-ny!

I have tried most of the cuts over the years. I used to love the punch, but for a long time now I have been using the V-cut. I find it is a nice clean cut. I do not believe there is any impact to the strength of a cigar based on the cut, at least I have never noticed any. There are other things though like if you are smoking on an empty stomach, etc that would impact your reaction to a cigar.
I almost totally agree 👍 V-cut is the most natural way to receive a clean open smoke. With very limited damage.

Over the years I watched some individuals whom have a “Doctorate of Cigar Slicing” amputate a Robusto with a sophisticated guillotine maneuver. I just don’t have the dexterity or am I self-assured to do it exactly %100.

So, for 50-60 ring gauge cigars I punch it twice or thrice (side by side overlapping so it makes like a figure 4 or 8 shape).
And I’m assured there will be no unraveling. And excellent draw

I am with a few of you guys, I have noticed that I stand by no particular type of cut. I have found that I prefer a firmer draw on my cigars, a loose draw seems to make the cigar burn far too hot. So I use the cut that will allow me to crop the draw the most on that particular vitola or ring gauge