• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What cutter to buy?

jackcrab

Hi, anyone have a reccomendation for a good cigar cutter to purchase? I've been using this 5 dollar cheepy 1-sided guillotine cutter i got from my local cigar shop, but it always messes up the wrapper and i get bits in my mouth. i am thinking about going with a punch cutter-- what do you guys think? any models out there you highly reccomend? i was also looking at the xikar xi3 cutter but was thinking a punch cutter might be better for not getting bits and pieces of wrapper in my mouth.

thanks a lot for the help!

I have a Palio and I love it. I had an issue with my first one and the owner called me back and took care of it.

You should do a search or two and you will find some threads on cutters.

:laugh:

I don't think this guy is interested in searching, reading, or posting an intro. Just going to ask a bunch of questions and take off.

PAlio is a very inovative cutter- it serves as a cigar holder, has self sharpening blades and is very durable. I have one and I really like it. However, i prefer scissors to guilitine cutters, and so If i had to buy one now, it would be the Xicar Multi tool- it is foldable scissors with 3 other useless things, but it folds up pocket size!

Xikar multi-tool is a great one to have. Love it esp. when nubbing a cigar :thumbs:

Welcom to CP....I use the Xikar Xi3 cutter. IMHO its hands down the best cutter on the market. I have a cigar box full of cutter including a couple palios and other brand name cutters, and nothing cuts like my xikar. I have a couple other xikars(lower end models) but they don't have as clean as a cut as the Xi3. They are also pretty cool looking. I have a carbon fiber one, but i know they make a wood one and a few others. I keep a multi tool on my key chains, and they also provided a great cut. Xikar also has a lifetime warranty. If your blades start going dull or something breaks drop in the mail box and a few weeks later you will either have another or yours good as new. The Xi3 is a little pricey, but if you go over to cigar bid you can find them, and all the other lines for pretty damn cheap.

Definitely get a Palio! I'm going to be hosting a group buy on these very soon - price will be $35.96 + 2 free CP stickers w/ free shipping. Keep an eye on the GB forum.

I have two Palios ( I lost one for awhile then found it) and love them. I have some friends who have Xikars and they are great too. I think the palio is better for the money though. I would take Rod up on that buy when its time.

D

I've had several cutters over the years and my favorite are my Swiss Army Knives with cigars cutters. I have two of them. One is stainless with leather insert handles. I like it a lot but it's a bit bulky so it usually stays in the humidor. The other is a smaller stainless model that I use the most. They are very sharp scissor cutters that really work great. Plus being in a swiss army knife I always have one wherever I am. I think they look pretty nice as well. The only down side is that the smaller stainless that I use the most also has a smaller cutter. It's always been plenty big for any end cap I've had to cut though.

There was a time back when I first started smoking that I thought a punch was the best cutter to use. I do still like them occasionally when smoking some mix fill yard gars. Most generally they just don't punch a big enough hole though and the best solution usually seems to be to just avoid mix fill yard gars to begin with. :D

I've had friends in years past with Xikar's and just have never been tempted myself. They work fine with few problems but just don't fit my pocket the way my swiss does. I do often use double bladed cutters though and as long as they are sharp they work great. The problems crop up when they start loosing their edge. I've had great luck with even $5 double bladed cutters in the past. It's just that for $5 they don't hold an edge for long and it's time for a new one.

My first cutter was a cheapo single bladed cutter from the B&M with their logo... I don't remember what happened to it but needless to say I don't use it anymore. I bought a Xikar quite some time ago, and it's been flawless from the day I opened the package. I'm tempted to get a decent punch cutter, and I'd probably buy the Swiss Army knife that has three punch sizes on it. I like the idea of that one for the versatility. There are also the "V" cutters. I have no experience with them and don't have any plans to acquire or use one at this time.

Definitely get a Palio! I'm going to be hosting a group buy on these very soon - price will be $35.96 + 2 free CP stickers w/ free shipping. Keep an eye on the GB forum.

REAL NICE X2 :thumbs: I was just gonna buy one this week,looks like i'll be tapping the brakes :whistling:

Palio all the way, you cant go wrong. I wanted a Xikar as well but I didnt have the money at the time so I went for the Palio. I havnt looked back! Its a great cutter!

Palio is my favorite I have 3 :thumbs: :cool:

I only use a Xikar for most tapered cigars and a $2 punch cutter for everything else

down for this!

Jump on Rod's GB if you can ( I know I plan to). Otherwise I have a nice Xicar X3 that I like.

I say start with cheap double blade guillotine (they all work well at first, some just last longer than others). Once you've worn it out, you'd have a better idea of what you want to get next.

As a side note, I got one of these as a gift this Christmas and really like it. It's a very sturdy piece, has a great warranty and actually does "cut perfectly every time": http://www.cubancrafters.com/products.php/item_id/2887

I say start with cheap double blade guillotine (they all work well at first, some just last longer than others). Once you've worn it out, you'd have a better idea of what you want to get next.

As a side note, I got one of these as a gift this Christmas and really like it. It's a very sturdy piece, has a great warranty and actually does "cut perfectly every time": http://www.cubancrafters.com/products.php/item_id/2887

That's a unique design. I've seen a number of guillotine cutters that have a "calibrated" cutting guide, but they don't work with any sort of tapered head. The only flaw I might see in that is what if you have a torpedo and want a little more snipped off than what that cutter will allow, or you want to do the angled cut like Kingantz is famous for. However, $15 is inexpensive compared to a Palio or Xikar and will likely last way longer than a $3 convenience store special.

edit to remove double post