• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What Digital Camera Do You Use?

I’m a dinosaur that still uses film, but now I feed the negatives into an Epson Perfection 4490 scanner. I can get amazing scans with almost no noise unless I zoom WAY in. I keep telling myself I’ll buy a Canon 5D one day since I already have a few EOS lenses, but other things are taking precedent.

As far as digicams (non SLR) go I have to give a nod to Olympus. I bought a C-720 in 2002 when it’s 3 mega pixels were a lot at the time. It has since been an absolute workhorse. I’ve used it for inspection work heavily and it has been nothing less than reliable. It has shot forty to sixty images a day two or three days a week for almost five years now. I’ve bounced it all over the inside of the truck, and dropped it let’s say more than twice. If it ever craps out I plan on replacing it with a SP-510 UZ, basically the current model. It’s about the some price I paid in 2002, but now with 7.1 MP instead of 3.

-Flashbulb

I have 2 cameras that I use often. Each has it's merits.

The one that gets used most often is my Pentax Optio A20. It is a 10mp with 3x optical zoom, super compact, about the size of a pack of cigarettes. I have a 2g 150x SD card for it (fast fast writes for better recovery time between shots). With 10mp the meager zoom isn't such a big deal, I generally crop and zoom with Photoshop to extract what I really wanted from the pic anyway.

For anything "special" I prefer to use my Minolta Dimage 5. It is only a 3.3mp camera, but it gives me so much more control over all aspects of the shot. It has a 7x optical zoom which is nice as well. It takes forever for the thing to write to the CF card, and burns through batteries like they were going out of style :) In my opinion, because of the extra controls it takes better shots that the newer camera, however, with Photoshop it evens the playing field to a dead heat.

Sorry to dig up an old topic... but I just bought a Canon Rebel XT with the 18-55mm Kit Lens and a 75-300mm telephoto lens. I'm so excited, going out and shooting as much as my battery will allow! Glad to see other CPer's on here as interested as I am about photography. My next purchase will probably be a nifty fifty 50mm f/1.8, a tripod, maybe a battery grip, eventually the big guns 70-200 f/2.8L or the f/4L IS... An expensive hobby!

Sorry to dig up an old topic... but I just bought a Canon Rebel XT with the 18-55mm Kit Lens and a 75-300mm telephoto lens. I'm so excited, going out and shooting as much as my battery will allow! Glad to see other CPer's on here as interested as I am about photography. My next purchase will probably be a nifty fifty 50mm f/1.8, a tripod, maybe a battery grip, eventually the big guns 70-200 f/2.8L or the f/4L IS... An expensive hobby!

Since your into photography you might already be aware of this site, it's pretty cool.

http://www.dpreview.com/

C&R

p.s. Way cool camera :D

dlsr, Canon XT with a 50mm lens

I'm very happy. Next I will get a 24, and 100mm lens.

My wife and my Mom just gave me an early birthday present: a Nikon D40!

I'm very excited to put it through its paces, and after about 400 exposures over the weekend I think I'm getting the hang of it.

Got a Sony Cybershot Dsc-w200 12.1 MP. Its a little camera size of a deck of cards, but you can buy lenses for it, which I may get some time in the future.

Also handy tip for you serious photographers, in need of a tripod? Unscrew the and take off the lamp shade in the room, the screw on top will fit most cameras. You must pay attention to the thread count however. Some are fine thread and some are coarse thread. If they don't match you will strip your cameras threads out if you crank it down. You can get away with a few turns just until you feel tension, anymore and you might ruin your camera. Works in a pinch.

Digital cameras can display images on a screen immediately after being recorded, and store and delete images from memory. Many digital cameras can also record moving videos with sound. Some digital cameras can crop and stitch pictures and perform other elementary image editing.
See: https://bitdifference.com/lens-vs-lense/

Last edited:
Reported. Actually the 8th post by this.. entity. Some posts were ok-ish.. but no. I always wonder what's behind some of these spam type posts that don't seem to have an obvious financial motive... 🤔🤷‍♂️