• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What do you smoke. . .

lbrief

Let's say you're taking a trip overseas next month. Let's say the UK. What ISOM would you smoke, and what would be a reasonable price to pay for it.
These suggestions have to be sticks that are good right off the shelf!!!!!!
I'm not bringing a single one back with me to "age in the coolerdor", I have to pass a real invasive background check soon and I can't even have a parking ticket to my name. So, my only shot at heaven is a week out-of-town. Help me make it one to remember!
(P.S. throw in some rum suggestions too!)

(P.P.S. Yes, I know I could read this whole forum back to it's beginings, but I don't have time!!! Just help the new guy out! OK??)

It depends totally on your taste. Here are a few suggestions IMHO-

1) Find a reputable tobacconist. You need to be sure you're not buying fakes. I've never been to the UK, just had experiences all over Mexico, so that might be apples to oranges BUT I am sure there are plenty of nice shops with walk-in humidors. Ask the tobacconist what's smoking well, ask where his "aged" cigars are. If you can find an aged (4+ year old) Cohiba Robusto, RASS or Trinidad Fundadore, that is a nice find.

2) Otherwise I'd look for fresh tobacco - mid-to-late-2003 is smoking great right now. A fresh PSD4, BBF, RyJ Beli or Monti 2 would my personal favorites, but again, taste is subjective.

3) Many tobacconists will leave the box on the shelf, and restock it. Just because the box code says one thing, doesn't mean absolutely that those cigars are that age. Again, I'd ask. Familiarize yourself with box codes too (there's a great thread in this forum).

Enjoy! It's a blast to see all those ISOM boxes that we don't get to see on the shelves!

the one nice thing about living in the international dorm,
is I know people from the UK (to verify), and good internet connections.

Of course, the Davidoff and Dunhill shops.
davidoff #44/207-930-3079
dunhill #44/207-290-8655

I do know that the Davidoff store carries an excellent selection of aged cigars (or at least they did when I was there almost 2 yrs. ago)

-Monte's
165 Slone St., Knightsbridge, SWIX 9QB

http://www.montescigars.com

also a quailty cigar/club/restaurant.

for more aged stuff
-JJ Fox & Robert Lewis
#44/207-930-3787

they reg. set aside a stock of cigars for ageing so you can easliy get cigars from 5yrs. ago or so.

:thumbs:
have fun!

Thanks for the good info, But. . . I did some additional research and learned a few things that I had not known before.

Turns out, the embargo not only prohibits us Americans from bringing Cuban goods into the country, it also prohibits us from even purchacing them in another country (even if our intent is to consume them before returning to the U.S.). So I guess I won't be getting any. I don't feel like breaking any rules, and it certainly wouldn't be the patriotic thing to do. I mean with our boys sacrificing and dying every few day in the Mid-East, I guess the least I can do is avoid "trading with the enemy".

The other thing I found out, was that for those who are granted permission (by the US Gov) to visit Cuba (mostly journalists and diplomats) it is ok to bring back up to $100. in goods (including cigars). But, that certainly isn't news to anyone on this board, since obviously that's the only way any ISOM traded on CP got here :)

Moral, ethical, political views aside...I've heard they are damn fine smokes!

lbrief said:
Turns out, the embargo not only prohibits us Americans from bringing Cuban goods into the country, it also prohibits us from even purchacing them in another country (even if our intent is to consume them before returning to the U.S.).

...The other thing I found out, was that for those who are granted permission (by the US Gov) to visit Cuba (mostly journalists and diplomats) it is ok to bring back up to $100. in goods (including cigars). But, that certainly isn't news to anyone on this board, since obviously that's the only way any ISOM traded on CP got here :)
I don't get it. Do you see the contradiction here? If you have permission you can bring in up to $100 worth from Cuba, but you're not allowed to go somewhere else and buy/smoke it there.

This makes no sense whatsoever. My parents go every year (with permission) to visit family and have usually brought back cigars. More so now that I know what to ask for. What makes it ok for them to spend $100 each, yet you can't spend less than that in another country?

ricmac25 said:
I don't get it. Do you see the contradiction here? If you have permission you can bring in up to $100 worth from Cuba, but you're not allowed to go somewhere else and buy/smoke it there.

This makes no sense whatsoever. My parents go every year (with permission) to visit family and have usually brought back cigars. More so now that I know what to ask for. What makes it ok for them to spend $100 each, yet you can't spend less than that in another country?
First off, with the Cold War over, I think the Embargo needs to go. It has outlived its usefulness.

But, for as long as it remains. . . no I can’t find any contradiction in prohibiting Americans from purchasing Cuban goods everywhere except in Cuba. Seems perfectly logical. You go anywhere in the world, and (assuming there are Cuban products available for purchase) you have at least two choices buy the Cuban or buy the one manufactured by the country you are visiting. (Obviously you would have more than those two choices, but the point is you have a choice).

For those allowed to visit Cuba, the US feels 1. it is important for those people to be there (i.e. visit family members, diplomatic relations, journalistic endeavors, etc.) and 2. that they will need to make purchases such as food, clothing, or other quality of life items that they may not have brought with them from home.

Now, having completed their visit, it would not be appropriate for the US to force these people to abandon their purchases in Cuba (that would be unconstitutional it would “. . .deprive of . . . property. . .”) so they allow the travelers to bring the items back. The $100. limit is supposed to ensure that people are, in good faith, only bringing back the items which were necessary to obtain during the trip. The policy assumes that anything over $100. you could probably have survived without for a week or two, and that your intentions are probably not honorable. Bottom line, the $100 limit was made as an accommodation to US citizens who had reason to be in Cuba.

If you like to read..... no need making this info 3rd handed.

U.S. Department of the Treasury

Scroll down and click on Sanctions Program and Country Summaries.

Once there find Cuba or any other Country you are interested in that the US has sanctions against.