• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What do you think of...

Wurm

Bratwurst and Beer
One of my online stores has this on sale...

411950.jpg

But having never tried a Piedra before, I thought I'd ask here first.

:)

...depends on the price. If bought at the right price, I think they are actually very good smokes for money. The ones I've had improved greatly with even a few months of humi time on them. Gives up very basic, but clearly Cuban tobacco tastes, nice thick smoke, and usually burn great.

"Right price" for me is in the $2.00 / stick and under range. These are not premiums, but for the $$, I think they are fine. Got a few in the coolers myself... :cool:

Regards - B.B.S.

The can has 25 Nacionales for around 50 dollars.

So its right at the 2 dollar mark, thanks for the tip BBS :thumbs:

BTW are they short filler or long filler, hand rolled or machine made?

I believe the current line from these guys is machine made, short filler, and that line includes the Nacionales. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will let us know.

Cheers - B.B.S.

Well if they are, I do not see it as a negative. I really like Quintero cigars so I'm not a snob when it comes to how my cigars are made, only to how they taste.

Well if they are, I do not see it as a negative. I really like Quintero cigars so I'm not a snob when it comes to how my cigars are made, only to how they taste.
I've had a couple bundles of the Quintero Brevas and prefer the JLP's. I like the flavor profile of the JLP's better. JMHO...

B.B.S.

I've only had one JLP, and it was a Petit Centros... But man, I really loved it!!! :thumbs: I think it is going to be one of my first box purchases!!!

JMO!

David

Shawn,

These are short filler cigars which are a notch below the Quinteros in quality. The tobacco is more rustic and I have had draw problems and occasional wandering burns. Specimens with a few years are tasty if they draw. If not, they are cheap enough to chuck in the garbage.

The flavor can tend to be full and ones from 1998 exhibit probounced chocolate notes. Young ones, however, can be pretty harsh.

If you can get the Quinteros Brevas at $2.50-3.00 per stick, there's really no reason to go JLP unless you just want some el cheapos on hand.

Wilkey

Well they also have the Cetros for 40 dollars a can.

Wilkey I'm looking for a cheap small cigar I can smoke on my lunch break, usually I pick up Quintero Panetelas or Brevas but I really like the look of that can.

What the hell, I'm going to order a can of the Nacionales, if I don't like them, I'll put them into storage for a pleasant (hopefully) surprise a year or two from now.

And I'll have the can to store computer junk in at work. :sign:

Wilkey I'm looking for a cheap small cigar I can smoke on my lunch break, usually I pick up Quintero Panetelas or Brevas but I really like the look of that can.

What the hell, I'm going to order a can of the Nacionales, if I don't like them, I'll put them into storage for a pleasant (hopefully) surprise a year or two from now.

That is a purty can. I'd buy one.

Enjoy!

Wilkey

That is a purty can. I'd buy one.

Enjoy!

Wilkey

I'll do a review when they arrive lol... I only hope the stupid "SMOKING KILLS" label at the bottom is a sticker so I can remove it.

If you can get the Quinteros Brevas at $2.50-3.00 per stick, there's really no reason to go JLP unless you just want some el cheapos on hand.

Wilkey
Wilkey - interesting statement. Your point seems to be that the Quinteros Brevas' are far superior smokes. My experience is quite different. I just took out a Q.B. and a JLP Brevas and laid them side by side for a look. IMHO the quality can only be considered "equal" though this particular JLP is better made than this particular Q.B. I've not had many burn / draw issues with my JLP's, though I do let them sit for a few months before smoking.

I actually prefer the JLP's to the QB's and the price is secondary. Of course, there's no accounting for taste, right...??... :p One man's opinion, FWIW...

Best Regards - B.B.S.

Wilkey
Wilkey - interesting statement. Your point seems to be that the Quinteros Brevas' are far superior smokes. My experience is quite different. I just took out a Q.B. and a JLP Brevas and laid them side by side for a look. IMHO the quality can only be considered "equal" though this particular JLP is better made than this particular Q.B. I've not had many burn / draw issues with my JLP's, though I do let them sit for a few months before smoking.

I actually prefer the JLP's to the QB's and the price is secondary. Of course, there's no accounting for taste, right...??... :p One man's opinion, FWIW...

Best Regards - B.B.S.

Let me clarify. I find the tobacco taste of Quintero Brevas to be more "clear" than that of JLP. It's more of a clean tobacco flavor than the pleasant but muddled flavors I get from the JLP. Absolutely, neither cigar is going to win a beauty contest and I think the appearance of a given stick varies depending on the packaging. For example, JLP's I have in bundles are just all crushed to mush. I have never seen a perfectly cylindrical one in the lot. The JLP in cardboard packs are in much better condition. the Q-B is reasonably protected inside of the cardboard over box and generally looks less squished...though not much better in terms of aesthetics.

I think the draw issues (either loose or tight) are at least partially a consequence of the short filler. So far, age hasn't helped but I've got a bunch sitting around and will sample them with time.

Right on. Taste is in the palate of the beholder. Take me for example...I don't really care for Fuente stuff but I know most of the rest of the civilized world does. :D

How bout we trade. Some of my JLP for some of your Brevas. ;)

Wilkey

The cans make some nice packaging; have never seen those before. I love the JLP's with the cremas being my favorite. You get that cuban twang at a real cheapo price. I too prefer the JLP's over the Quintero's. Wilkey is right on about the more refined taste of the Quintero's, but I like that straight forward Cuban tobacco taste.

Being that the prices on these are so good, even if you don't like 'em you could always trade 'em I'm sure.

The cans make some nice packaging; have never seen those before. I love the JLP's with the cremas being my favorite. You get that cuban twang at a real cheapo price. I too prefer the JLP's over the Quintero's. Wilkey is right on about the more refined taste of the Quintero's, but I like that straight forward Cuban tobacco taste.

Being that the prices on these are so good, even if you don't like 'em you could always trade 'em I'm sure.

Or use them as smoking fodder at herfs :thumbs: Thanks for the tip!

If you can get them for $2.00 a stick and age them for two years they make good little smokes. A bit harsh but you still get the island taste. I think of these as the Tampa Nugget of ISOMs.

I like the piedra's....never had the quintero's before.

When I first started out smoking Habanos, I found JLP's to be quite appealing, particularly for the price. However, anymore, they rarely do it for me. I still have quite a few in my humi that I just don't often feel like smoking. Normally, I'd just rather pick up a Padron 2000 or something similar. I'll have to try a Quintero sometime as a comparison.

The JLP and Quinteros are better than almost any non-ISOM smoke for the same price. I like them when I am on the run and don't really have time to focus on my cigar. Good, basic, Cuban flavor everytime. Never had one of either that was plugged. Have had a few burn issues though. I have smoked several boxes. These are my "yard-gars".

Well I haven't had any non ISOMs that cost less than 1.50$, but the Quinteros and J.L.Piedras are great value for money. I prefer Quinteros but I don't have anything against smoking a Piedra.