• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What does "triple fermented tabacco" mean?

Jan Primus

I read that Cohiba & Trinidad used triple fermented tabacco while most use double fermented. What does that mean exactly? thanks.

It's pee'd on one extra time!

I believe it has to do with the pileing and flipping of the bundles.

Tobacco has to reach a certain temp in the middle of the pile before it's 'flipped'.

This process is like any other fermentation process...and allowing for 'one' more ferment to occur...presumably mellows and rids the tobacco of 'bad' stuff.

I could be wrong...
...and I'm sure someone <cough - Wilkey or Moki> will have more details! :D

Good linky!

Better linky!

Fermentation is a term that is used fairly loosely in the general cigar vernacular. Biochemically, the definition is quite a bit more precise. The third "fermentation" that only Cohiba undergoes (at least among Habanos) is not really a fermentation per se. It's more of an "aging" in barrels.

A quick google turns up a whole host of links but the key fact to keep in mind is that a genuine fermentation requires microbial or enzymatic action to chemically convert one class of compounds (carbohydrates such as starchs and sugars) into another class of compounds (acids, alcohols, etc.) Additionally, this reaction generates heat*. In tobacco, the action is bacterial and anaerobic. Even more specifically, in tobacco, the conversion of interest involves nicotine and other alkyloids being transformed into pyridine class compounds. Pyridines and ammonia share common conversion pathways so that is why tobacco fermentation is an ammonia-generating fermentation whereas beer fermentation is not.

Wilkey

*The CA link makes it sound like the mass of the pilon or bulk is what makes heat. This is incorrect.

Having messed with bundles of tobacco that is fermenting...you do notice the whole area is a little warm and the leaves themselves is warm as well. Its pretty cool to see in person and not read it some where. But you can't prepare for the ammonia smell that is being released. It will take your breath away. :laugh:

I realized I did not answer the question of why there are two fermentations. Two fermentations do not seem to be strictly necessary. Some accounts refer to one fermentation and most of the references on the Cuban method say two. What is the case is that the more complete the fermentation, the greater the conversion of things like nicotine and other compounds. Less nicotine means a milder, perhaps smoother cigar. Too complete a fermentation and you risk altering the profile of the critical flavor components. In other words, overfermented or spent tobacco that tastes like newsprint.

Only a tobacco person would be able to shed light on whether there are other process or quality factors which demand that you go with one or two fermentations.

Wilkey

I described getting a grassy taste to one of the cigar owners and he said to me that the tobacco was over-fermented. I just took his word for it. :thumbs: