• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What has been your experience with moldy cigars?

I took a look at some of the posts on mold/plume and took as close alook as possible at the picture in the first post of the thread. A few observations which leads me to think that this so called“problem” is plume and not mold: first, the cigars wereleft In the same humidor and the white spots disappeared—typical of plume and quite rare for mold as plume is a crystal which often falls off; no report of discoloration where the white spots were -again typical of plume and rare in mold; and the white spots do not look fuzzy like mold—looks more like plume although his one picture is hardly definitive.

I took a look at some of the posts on mold/plume and took as close alook as possible at the picture in the first post of the thread. A few observations which leads me to think that this so called“problem” is plume and not mold: first, the cigars wereleft In the same humidor and the white spots disappeared—typical of plume and quite rare for mold as plume is a crystal which often falls off; no report of discoloration where the white spots were -again typical of plume and rare in mold; and the white spots do not look fuzzy like mold—looks more like plume although his one picture is hardly definitive.
Plume is more evenly distributed and isn't bunched up in splotches.

I'm sure you're right. I'd smoke all the fuzzy little white spots of plume you can find. In fact, next time you're in the B&M, I'd ask, no - tell them that you want NOTHING other than sticks that have fuzzy little white spots of plume on them. Depending on the shop, I'm sure they will help you right out. Awesome...!!!

I'm curious how something physical can be a typical characteristic of a thing which doesn't seem to exist.

FYI: Plume is a unicorn ridden by Bigfoot fighting with a chupacabra.

Earth calling spaceships scap and blinded by science, come in
Please

For the record I was totally being sarcastic, intending to poke fun at those who claim plume when it's clearly mold, an all to common occurrence in the online and IRL cigar realm.

Corneighdo,
I totally get it. There is a lot of of sarcasm offered on this thread to emphasicize what appears to be article of faith-but little in the way of facts.
Perhaps you, scap and the “science guy” could share your knowledge and wisdom and explain why, with no change in circumstances, the “mold” just disappeared; none of the other cigars in the cabinet were affected; there was no discoloration and the cigars smoked so well, after the visible “mold”disappeared.

John, I respectfully disagree. I do think that Anejo wrappers are more prone to mold than most. You are correct that Fuente had a couple batches over a few years come over very moist, and the addition of Bovida's really didn't do them any good. That didn't help their rep, but Anejo's are the only sticks I've ever had 'blue hair' problems with. I've pulled the cedar sleeves and wiped the few that gave me problems, and I get into them every couple of months and give them a close look. Current stock seems much better, but I wouldn't store them at 69-70% on a dare.

As they say, one man's opinion.......
I don't know, but I'm counting up the boxes in my head. Two boxes of sharks, one 50, one 55, two 46's that I have. Then a few others in between that I have, or have had in my collection post humidity packet. Never have had a problem with any of them. But, I certainly had big mold problems with the others. I even used to have the issue with WOAMS, and have had about four or so boxes since with no issue. While I'm sure we'd both agree any cigar can have mold issues, I'm fairly certain those packets were a major factor in a huge mold issue that even Fuente acknowledged, and the reason they pulled them in future shipments. Can't seem to find it, but I remember a thread someone like Gary, Wilkey, or Andrew linked here from Cigar Family years ago talking about it. I remember reading it and immediately going and pulling the packets from inside all my boxes. :D

Semantics, I think; "more prone to mold issues" doesn't mean "will always have mold issues".....:cool:

I still get packets with lots of the cigars I buy, but they are outside the box of cigars, in a plastic bag / shrink wrap. Big difference, to be sure.

Semantics, I think; "more prone to mold issues" doesn't mean "will always have mold issues".....:cool:

I still get packets with lots of the cigars I buy, but they are outside the box of cigars, in a plastic bag / shrink wrap. Big difference, to be sure.
There's also different variables to think about the more I mull it over. What's your average humidity Tom?

Living on the west coast in a state known for being rainy, I bet it's higher than mine that was 37% this morning.

That, and I long term store my cigars between 65 -67%.

Corneighdo,
I totally get it. There is a lot of of sarcasm offered on this thread to emphasicize what appears to be article of faith-but little in the way of facts.
Perhaps you, scap and the “science guy” could share your knowledge and wisdom and explain why, with no change in circumstances, the “mold” just disappeared; none of the other cigars in the cabinet were affected; there was no discoloration and the cigars smoked so well, after the visible “mold”disappeared.

This thread wasn't about confirming if the cigars had "PLUME" or "MOLD" because it was 100% a mold issue. The cigars came straight from the vendor with the "white spots" and then after I stored them in my humidor for almost a year, the white spots disappeared (under the proper humidity levels and using nano silver in my distilled water). None of the other cigars in the cabinet were affected because this "white spots" issue didn't develop in my humidor to begin with.

I don't know, but I'm counting up the boxes in my head. Two boxes of sharks, one 50, one 55, two 46's that I have. Then a few others in between that I have, or have had in my collection post humidity packet. Never have had a problem with any of them. But, I certainly had big mold problems with the others. I even used to have the issue with WOAMS, and have had about four or so boxes since with no issue. While I'm sure we'd both agree any cigar can have mold issues, I'm fairly certain those packets were a major factor in a huge mold issue that even Fuente acknowledged, and the reason they pulled them in future shipments. Can't seem to find it, but I remember a thread someone like Gary, Wilkey, or Andrew linked here from Cigar Family years ago talking about it. I remember reading it and immediately going and pulling the packets from inside all my boxes. :D

John, be honest with us, everyone knows that the real reason for the mold was because you didn't lick the beads.

There's also different variables to think about the more I mull it over. What's your average humidity Tom?

Living on the west coast in a state known for being rainy, I bet it's higher than mine that was 37% this morning.

That, and I long term store my cigars between 65 -67%.

With the heat on or the AC running, we average about 58-61% in the house, ambient RH. I've seen it as low as 45% when the heat is really cranking to keep up with low temps outside. Must be all that green stuff outside....:D

I run my cabinet the same as you - 65-68%. The set point is 65%, it sometimes coasts up if the ambient RH is higher than usual.

I also checked the Anejo stock, no spots and haven't seen any since the small outbreak some time back. The silver treatment and drying them out stopped it in its tracks.

Last edited:
Well, I have to agree that the full year in the “new” cabinet at a low to moderate r/h plus the silver would certainly kill “mold” and would have prevented the other cigars from being affected. I guess the earth is not flat after all!

I've been running silver in my aristocrat; the tanks and wicks stay clean, and the cigars look great.

On the silver bandwagon.....I had a sinus infection earlier this year. Silver knocked it out.

Wife got a sinus infection, a few months back, soI had her try it. She's good as new, and does a daily maintenance squirt of it up her nose to keep the beasties at bay.

We've been making a push to avoid antibiotics, except as a last resort, because of how quick the doctors are to hand out the high-power stuff like it's Halloween candy.
What do you use as a misting device to give those squirts up the nose? I'm ready to jump on this bandwagon, both for cigars and immune health. :cool:

What do you use as a misting device to give those squirts up the nose? I'm ready to jump on this bandwagon, both for cigars and immune health. :cool:

I buy the CVS nasal saline bottles (think big afrin bottle, minus the addiction).
Pop the top, add silver, replace the top, and give it a shake.

You don't want to squirt it without the saline as a buffer....plain water burns like a mofo.