• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What have you been reading lately?

Just re-read The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. I forgot how much I loved this book. Now I have to dig up the prequel and sequel that his son Jeff wrote!

Does anyone have any great non-fiction books they would recommend? I've been hitting the fiction to hard and like to actually lurn sumpin' frum a book.

I'm pretty open to topic.

Does anyone have any great non-fiction books they would recommend? I've been hitting the fiction to hard and like to actually lurn sumpin' frum a book.

The People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn.

"Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell. It's a true story about a group of navy seals in Afghanistan that lost all but one man during heavy fire.

Just started A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, same author as Kite Runner

Now that sounds like a great change of pace! I will hve to look into that one.

Great book! It is used as a text but it's just a fascinating account relying on first hand references and very well written.

I also enjoyed "The God Particle" by Leon Lederman. It starts as an historical account of the search for the "atom" and turns into the modern search for the Higgs boson with many amusing anecdotes by Lederman.

Great book! It is used as a text but it's just a fascinating account relying on first hand references and very well written.

I also enjoyed "The God Particle" by Leon Lederman. It starts as an historical account of the search for the "atom" and turns into the modern search for the Higgs boson with many amusing anecdotes by Lederman.

What I really enjoyed about The People's History were the little people that he brings to light, the movements they lead and the impacts they had on history. Daniel Shays, for example. Shays' Rebellion might hold enough material in a high school history class amounting to a single test question. Zinn goes into it.

I am reading Crime and Punishment in the English text and also the Cyrillic text. I am getting cheated by reading the English version. I am thinking of getting a copy of War and Peace next. But I kick myself for not getting a Cyrillic version of it. Oh well...maybe next time. Either way the copy of Crime and Punishment is pretty good in English so if you haven't read it, do it. :thumbs:

I'm currently reading "Anthem" by Ayn Rand. It's lengthy but, in my opinion, a very good read.

I am reading the third in a series known as The Game of Thrones series. Working on A Storm of Swords and its very hard to put down. HBO picked up the rights to this series and talked about doing a pilot with the plan to do a season for each book, I can't wait.

Another vote for the Peoples History of the United States.

Mr. Peat - where do you find books in Russian?

Another vote for the Peoples History of the United States.

Mr. Peat - where do you find books in Russian?

I bought them at a book store in Moscow, Russia. There is a group of companies in the USA that import in different things from Russia. From Music, movies, food, drink, and also books. I haven't tried the book company yet but here is their web addy if you are interested.

http://www.kniga.com/books/

On the top you can switch it between English and Russian. Enjoy!!!

I am reading Crime and Punishment in the English text and also the Cyrillic text. I am getting cheated by reading the English version. I am thinking of getting a copy of War and Peace next. But I kick myself for not getting a Cyrillic version of it. Oh well...maybe next time. Either way the copy of Crime and Punishment is pretty good in English so if you haven't read it, do it. :thumbs:
I sure hope W&P is better in Tolstoy's original dialect because the english version put me into a coma for 3 years. I only woke up when my wise father held a first edition "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" under my nose while reading "The Grapes of Wrath" in cyrillic.

Leo couldn't write his way out of a paper bag, for a novel "with the bark on" ya gottal buy Louis L'Amour. Just tear the cover off 'War and Peace' and tape it over any Sackett title.

I kid, I kid, I'm sure Leo didn't have anything better to do.

NA

I sure hope W&P is better in Tolstoy's original dialect because the english version put me into a coma for 3 years. I only woke up when my wise father held a first edition "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" under my nose while reading "The Grapes of Wrath" in cyrillic.

Leo couldn't write his way out of a paper bag, for a novel "with the bark on" ya gottal buy Louis L'Amour. Just tear the cover off 'War and Peace' and tape it over any Sackett title.

I kid, I kid, I'm sure Leo didn't have anything better to do.

NA

No novel is good translated. You should know that Sam. Much is lost in the process but that is a sacrifice one is willing to take while reading a novel thats been translated. I've noticed the huge difference between the translated version of Crime and Punishment. But at the same time, you have other things going on in Russian literature like the pet names. One character could have 10 different names and thus it looks like a ton of characters. When in reality, its just a hand full. :laugh:

Crime and Punishment is eerily good. Dostoyevsky though, well, he was no Steinbeck. Anyone ever read The Idiot? WTF was that all about? It was appropriately named I guess, and Dostoyevsky definitely has a handle on writing the 'uncomfortable'.