• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What have you been reading lately?

I always read Douglas Adams... Who doesn't like The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?!? Now I'm reading The Hobbit for the first time.

You've never read The Hobbit before? How about The Lord of the Rings? The movies were pretty great but the books are classics to me. I read them first as a teenager. Like most people, I suspect. Great books even if you're not into the whole "fantasy" style stuff. I can't say I'm a big fantasy or sci-fi guy but Tolkien's books are wonderfully well written.

The Hobbit and LOTR hold up better for me as an adult than say CS Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia do. Gotta be a kid to really enjoy those.

What I admire about Tolkien is that he truly has this whole other world in his head. Every detail is there. It all fits together and seems like it really could exist somehow.

Plus Tolkien was a pipe smoker. Props for that.

Hey Phatcat have you read A song of Ice and Fire? It's definitely on the same level as Tolkiens stuff. Although less fantasy, more war of the roses.

Hey Phatcat have you read A song of Ice and Fire? It's definitely on the same level as Tolkiens stuff. Although less fantasy, more war of the roses.

No, I haven't. I just googled it and it looks interesting. I'll have to check them out. I see A Game of Thrones is the first one. I'll try to get to it. Thanks for the heads up.

It's funny that the authors name is George R R Martin. I guess having two middle names makes a difference.

My initials are WRR so maybe I need another "R" middle name too. ;)

William Robert Randolph Radintz. hmmm I'll have to work on that.

Bill

I just started reading the Harry Potter series to my 7 year old. We're 3 chapters into the first book right now.

Which beats our usual rotation, classics such as this:

Mo-Dont-Let-the-Pigeon-Drive-the-Bus.jpg

My son used to love the Pigeon books...I think we have quite a few different ones.

Just recently finished A Land Remembered by Patrick Smith. Currently reading The River is Home by the same author. Both excellent books for anyone interested in Florida/Southern history.

A little bit of fiction, just finished The Blade Itself and am now into the second in the trilogy, Before They Are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie. A rough start but I am thoroughly enjoying them. Plenty of gory fight scenes.

I just started "between Planets", by Robert Heinlein. It's been a while since I read Heinlein but I always liked his style and humor.

A little bit of fiction, just finished The Blade Itself and am now into the second in the trilogy, Before They Are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie. A rough start but I am thoroughly enjoying them. Plenty of gory fight scenes.

Dude. Heinlein is da man! :thumbs:

Just recently finished A Land Remembered by Patrick Smith. Currently reading The River is Home by the same author. Both excellent books for anyone interested in Florida/Southern history.

I read A Land Remembered about 5 years ago. Great book! I'll have to check out The River is Home.

I read a wide variety of Books. Typically Fiction and Erudite subject matter. We won't get into my Erudite studies.

I just started a project in which I hope to read all of the Nebula Award winners, but in no particular order.
Mainly what I can find used and inexpensive.

I just finished "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card. Mainly because I heard that a movie is being made.
It was a very good book, and the ending was well concealed.
A refreshing change since I find too many novels, and movies, predictable.
I really like the way Card weaves in higher ideas and ideals into his work.

Getting ready to start "Neuromancer" by William Gibson. Also want to get a copy of one of our own CP members book. ;)

I just finished "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card. Mainly because I heard that a movie is being made.
It was a very good book, and the ending was well concealed.
A refreshing change since I find too many novels, and movies, predictable.
I really like the way Card weaves in higher ideas and ideals into his work.

I loved Ender's Game. It is one of my top ten reads of all time. Ender's Shadow is also a great read. The rest in that series/character are okay, but not as good, IMO.

I sit and read with a good smoke almost daily. I find it a great way to relax. I follow at least 10 different authors but my favorites are David Baldacci, Nelson Demille and Scott Turow. Right now I'm reading Baldacci's latest, Deliver Us From Evil.

Just finished Clive Custler in the "Wrecker" Really get story and kept you hanging close to the end. I'm a big fan of his, specially stuff with Dirk Pitt.