• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What insecticide for Tobacco?

Misc

Genuine pre-embargo Cuban cigar smoking picture (c
I picked up some Triazicide ("newer/better" version of Diazanon), and it says it works on lettuce, cabbage, etc. (leaves that you eat), and tomatoes (close relative of tobacco in the family nicotina), so I figured it'd be ok. Called their 800#, they say "not recommended."

So, I'm curious if anyone out there grows tobacco (for cigars/smoking) and what insecticide they use/recommend. Basically, something's chewing holes in my leaves and I want them to stop, but I don't want to create poisonous leaf.

Thanks!

I wish Mel was around, he would be able to help you.

Not sure if this will help, but heres a couple of ideas:

1. spray liqued ivory soap over them

2. chexck out "rodale's books on organic gardening

3. burn them (wait a min., that comes later)

oh yea I think borax, like in 20 mule team soap works

I always made a mixture that was 1 teaspoon/Gal of water using plain Ivory Liquid. It kept the bugs off my tomato plants. You would have to respray after any heavy rains, and be sure to get the hidden leaves underneath or they will just eat those instead.

There are some plants you can buy that will natually ward of many types of insects. Magnolias are one, and there are some herb's that will too. My wife plants aromatic herbs around the plants that have insect problems and that seems to help some.

Emo

Ancient Tony secret, passed down from Grandfatha

teaspoon of tobasco
4 cloves of garlic
in a blender with a pint of water
strain it through cheesecloth

Spray

Or if you don't want that, look for products with Pyrethrum. It's an extract from Chrysanthemum's

Great stuff, and very safe on plants you plan on eating, smoking, etc
And like PB said, make sure you get the underside of the leaves, that's where you'll find most of the icky bastados

Now that would be some tobacco I could smoke.... :sign:

Essence of Tobassco and garlic fills the air.......ahhhhhhhhh! :D

[quote name='Smokin'Tone' date='Nov 26 2002, 05:04 PM']Ancient Tony secret, passed down from Grandfatha

teaspoon of tobasco
4 cloves of garlic
in a blender with a pint of rum
strain it through cheesecloth
[/quote]
Very tasty, but the bugs are still eating my plants... :p

I'm serious. It's a totally organic experience

:p

And it works.

My grandfather used it on every single plant he grew, and he never had bugs.