• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What is a good cigar to introduce to non-smokers?

Nubcake

Hey folks,

I've been trying to get alot of my non-smoking friends into smoking cigars (as i've only been smoking for 3 to 4 months now) and would like to have more people in my social circle to get them into enjoying it as much as i do. However, I smoke mostly Cubans and when I offer them my cigars the general consensus is that the cigars are too strong (i've been mostly handing out RyJ short churchills my mildest cigar in my inventory) ??? And to be honest... it seems like a waste to introduce them to good cigars when they have not developed a palette for such. Most of them would not be able to distinguish the difference between a $5 cigar and a $20 cigar at this point.

So i am in need of a few recommendations for Dominican cigars that are mild and that can be enjoyed by all (especially for new smokers). Price isn't too much of an issue. Thanks in advanced to all those that respond! :laugh:

I've tried to use the search function and the threads i've read recommend certain brands like CAO and Padrons, but are never specific as to the actual cigars.

It's not necessarily true that new smokers would prefer a mild cigar. Get a feel for what they like to eat first. People who eat spicy foods have different palates than those that like pasta Alfredo. So adjust your recommendation accordingly.

Here are some starter suggestions...

Mild
Macanudo (Naturally... This is the best selling cigar in the world for a reason.)
Ashton Classic
Montecristo Classic
Cusano 18
Montesino / Fuente

Medium
Partagas
Avo Maduro
Rocky Edge Lite
Tatuaje P2 (I tried one recently and loved it)

Full
Any Oliva bundle
CAO Brazilia
Troya Classico

Flavored
Acid Kuba Kuba
Java Wafe (Works with anyone every time. Very tasty.)
Tatiana (Pick a flavor)

I hope this helps.

Humberto

I would suggest any of the inexpensive Fuente's, Padron X000 (the 2K's with some downtime would be a good choice), maybe the HDM Excalibur. I started with Fuente and hit my stride with the HDM. You might also consider Quorum, Helix, domestic RyJ... Everyone has their own tastes, so there isn't any one recommendation that is better than another. I would stick with mild sticks that are inexpensive, and keep in mind that they just might not enjoy cigars at all.

D

I try to keep a few Baccarats on hand for nonsmokers. I have only given out a few but people seem to like them. It's a very mild cigar and the tip is sweetened but not nearly as much as most cigars with a sweet tip. The sweet tip I think gives nonsmokers something to enjoy about it before they start to enjoy the actual process of smoking.

I try to keep a few Baccarats on hand for nonsmokers. I have only given out a few but people seem to like them. It's a very mild cigar and the tip is sweetened but not nearly as much as most cigars with a sweet tip. The sweet tip I think gives nonsmokers something to enjoy about it before they start to enjoy the actual process of smoking.

DOH!!!

I forgot about Baccarats. It was my very first cigar 11 years ago. I still smoke them from time to time.

Thanks for reminding me.

Humberto

It's not necessarily true that new smokers would prefer a mild cigar. Get a feel for what they like to eat first. People who eat spicy foods have different palates than those that like pasta Alfredo. So adjust your recommendation accordingly.

Mild
Macanudo (Naturally... This is the best selling cigar in the world for a reason.)
Ashton Classic
Montecristo Classic
Cusano 18
Montesino / Fuente

Medium
Partagas
Avo Maduro
Rocky Edge Lite

Full
Any Oliva bundle
CAO Brazilia
Troya Classico

Flavored
Acid Kuba Kuba
Tatiana (Pick a flavor)

I hope this helps.

Humberto

That was very insightful, I would have never even considered the thought of smoking preferences based on the foods they eat. To the rest, thanks for the input but as always keep em coming :D

CAO Gold was one of my first. Has large amount of smoke mild flavor and not alot of nic kick.

Mild
Ashton Classic
Montecristo Classic
Cusano 18
Montesino / Fuente

Medium
Partagas
Avo Maduro
Rocky Edge Lite

Full
Any Oliva bundle
CAO Brazilia
Troya Classico

Flavored
Acid Kuba Kuba
Tatiana (Pick a flavor)

I hope this helps.

Humberto
Yea, it's fun to watch them puke on their shoes.

Doc.

Cabiguan belicoso fino

That should do it.

I could go for one of those right now actually...

One of my favorite go-to sticks, and one that I've had good luck with for new smokers, is a LGC Wavell Maduro.

Also the tampa sweetheart robustos

IMO. I would give the best cigar I had to someone new to smoking so they would enjoy their first smoke. :)

I think CAO Gold is a great beginner smoke as it's not mild to a non-smoker and pretty tasty.

Macanudo Gold Label Hampton Court, IMO ... very smooth, very very mild, not much nicotine, not too big

I'll probably get fried for this recommendation though :p

Another really good one is the Ashton Cabinet Selection Tres Petit

IMO. I would give the best cigar I had to someone new to smoking so they would enjoy their first smoke. :)

Ratt, you hit it on the head. I had this exact scenario happen while out moose hunting last year. My neighbor and I were out chasing the stupid animals and in the evening we had a nice cabin. Knowing he was a non-smoker I chose to sit out on the deck with my cigar (mind you we're talking winter hunting!) ... it was -20 out. He came out with his bourbon, to which I had not tried before (Makers Mark - not bad!) and after a few moments, he commented on how good my cigar smelled. So I asked if he wanted to try one. He said he didn't want to deprive me of a smoke and I just told him it was my throw down 'yard gar' and it would not be missed. So he took it, and commented on how nice it was. Said he did not envision a cigar with that kind of flavor and enjoyment.

It was a Padron Serie 1926 #6

We ended up buying a box together and he occasionally comes over to sneak a cigar from 'our box' when his wife is away!

I firmly believe that a nice cigar should be given to a non smoker to try. Anything less will only make them not enjoy it as much as they possibly could, and therefore not become addicted like the rest of us! If someone wants to test drive a sports car, you don't give them a clunky rust bucket to drive. You don't give someone a B&W tv to view for the superbowl. You don't feed someone who has never had salmon a farmed salmon fillet, so why give them anything less than the best cigar their first time out?

I have had luck at the B&M where I work p/t recommending Cuesta Rey Centenarios to first timers.

Mild with lots of flavor. Much more flavor than Ashtons, for instance. ;)

Mild
Ashton Classic
Montecristo Classic
Cusano 18
Montesino / Fuente

Medium
Partagas
Avo Maduro
Rocky Edge Lite

Full
Any Oliva bundle
CAO Brazilia
Troya Classico

Flavored
Acid Kuba Kuba
Tatiana (Pick a flavor)

I hope this helps.

Humberto
Yea, it's fun to watch them puke on their shoes.

Doc.

I played golf with a coworker of mine about a week ago, I gave him a Chateau Real Gorda. All I heard was "Man this is good" for about 5 holes, we got the sixth to have him hop out of the cart with a headache. Yacking came shortly after, I should have given him something better like an Opus #4! :D

Any of the main Padron line is a good start. Don Carlos by Fuente are good. Hemi Short Stories if you have some to give away and Ashton Cabinet series are all good ones for beginners.

Mild
Ashton Classic
Montecristo Classic
Cusano 18
Montesino / Fuente

Medium
Partagas
Avo Maduro
Rocky Edge Lite

Full
Any Oliva bundle
CAO Brazilia
Troya Classico

Flavored
Acid Kuba Kuba
Tatiana (Pick a flavor)

I hope this helps.

Humberto

The Ashton Classic was my gateway. I advise gifting with precaution though. You should always warn an unsuspecting passerby about the slippery slope...I fell all too quickly.