• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What is the correct way to light a cigar?

Hey Denverdog,
Thanks for the link to the video! So the technique showed on the video did include any puffing while the flame was on the cigar. He just toasted the foot, blew on the cigar and then puffed. I will try this the next time I light a cigar up.

Duane

CigarHo,
Unfortunately, I am that newbie on the other side of the floor with the foot engulfed in flames. That is until you guys showed me the light. (Ha I made a funny) :laugh:

Here is a sweet little "cigar basics" video that covers lighting among other things. I think this guy is a member here either way its a sweet blog.

LINKY
That was an good vid. I like how he takes his time lighting that baby up.

I don't do this on a regular basis, but was told that this was an old style way of lighting cigars. If you have a cigar that's wrapped in cedar, light it (with any source of flame), then light the cigar with the lit cedar. Obviously don't let the flame touch the cigar. The aroma of the cedar compliments the cigar.

I think I'm just about the only person who does this. Everytime I smoke a tubo or a cedar-wrapped I always use the cedar. I think it's better.

I don't do this on a regular basis, but was told that this was an old style way of lighting cigars. If you have a cigar that's wrapped in cedar, light it (with any source of flame), then light the cigar with the lit cedar. Obviously don't let the flame touch the cigar. The aroma of the cedar compliments the cigar.

I think I'm just about the only person who does this. Everytime I smoke a tubo or a cedar-wrapped I always use the cedar. I think it's better.
It certainly adds to the ritual, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Doc.

I try to do it whenever possible. Not smoking indoors that much, it's not always convenient. I agree with Doc, it does add to the ritual.

I read an article about this on the Davidoff web site I think....no toasting, no torches, no smoking black cigar ends...just a nice soft flame from an alcohol burner...hold the cigar a bit from the flame and gently draw through it...the flame sort of gently kisses the cigar....

Of course, a gentleman only smokes about 1/2 of the cigar before letting it go out in the ashtray (no smushing!).

toast the end slightly - which means light your torch (preferably wooden matches of a nice Colibri) then circle the foot of the stick and then hit the sweet spot in the middle. While doing the latter take several puffs and watch that baby light up. Blow on the foot to make sure you got it all. If not, touch up the soft spots and then you are good to go

Oh, make sure you have a nice glass of something to go along with it

I always use a butane lighter or matches, but today was an exception. My main lighter has officially died on me (no big loss it was only a couple bucks), I'm out of matches, and I couldn't find anything but my trusty zippo. I know better than to light my cigar with a zippo, so I grabbed a cedar sleeve off of another cigar and decided to try that.

It was my first time lighting my cigar with cedar and it was wonderful. Very large flame made it easy to light the cigar and the initial puffs had a great cedar flavor to them. I'm going to have trouble going back to my lighters and matches. (Does anybody know if it's possible to order paper thin sheets of cedar?)

I always use a butane lighter or matches, but today was an exception. My main lighter has officially died on me (no big loss it was only a couple bucks), I'm out of matches, and I couldn't find anything but my trusty zippo. I know better than to light my cigar with a zippo, so I grabbed a cedar sleeve off of another cigar and decided to try that.

It was my first time lighting my cigar with cedar and it was wonderful. Very large flame made it easy to light the cigar and the initial puffs had a great cedar flavor to them. I'm going to have trouble going back to my lighters and matches. (Does anybody know if it's possible to order paper thin sheets of cedar?)

I usually just ask at my B&M's. One of them leaves cedar strips in a mug beside the register, and if necessary, the other one always has some lying around.

My Local B&M just received some samplers of cedar. They are in a packaged box and there's about 30 strips of cedar in it. Sorry, don't remember the brand. Check out your B&M.

My Local B&M just received some samplers of cedar. They are in a packaged box and there's about 30 strips of cedar in it. Sorry, don't remember the brand. Check out your B&M.

Thats exactly what I'm looking for. Next time I get by the B&M I'll ask.

Take cedar, light cedar, hold cedar so it continues to burn and has a flame maybe 1-2 inches. Put cigar into flame, puff and rotate till light. Enjoy. No toasting or anything like that.

Here is a sweet little "cigar basics" video that covers lighting among other things. I think this guy is a member here either way its a sweet blog.

LINKY

This link should be stickied somewhere for all us noobs. It's absolutely the best source I've found for how to light a cigar, and its pretty funny too.

Excellent clip!

Although i had trouble lighting my cigar while dancing to the music...

The video clip really helped a lot! I lit a CAO Novella up the other night just the same way and it had that rich creamy sensation that I experienced before! The only problem I saw was that I had to touch up the center a little bit as it didn't get lit but that first puff was heaven! Anyway, I'll have to try lighting up with a cedar strip to see how that is like,