• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What is the correct way to light a cigar?

hangten

Hi all!

This is my first actual post besides my post in the Introduction forum. I searched the forum but really didn't find any info on lighting cigars. So here it goes!

I've noticed that the way that I light a cigar can affect the first initial taste. For instance, on one occassion with a Davidoff Grand Cru, I did not toast the foot and just let the flame from my lighter barely touch the foot for 10 seconds and took one quck puff. This produced the flame jump that I have read about. My initial taste was a very pleasant, rich and extremely creamy sensation. Upon looking at the foot though, it was only partially lit.

I tried another Grand Cru a few days later, but this time I toasted the foot for about 15 seconds. I then proceded to light the cigar while I took several quick puffs which lit the foot completely. The rich, creamy sensation was missing. What I received was a mouthful of good tobacco taste.

As I really don't hang out at cigar places, I have never seen an experienced smoker light up a cigar. The only videos I have seen were on youtube and those guys look like they really over puff on the cigar as they light it. Are there any video resources out there that show the proper technique to light a cigar? Or can you guys help me out by describing your lighting techniques?

Thanks
Duane

I don't know of THE correct way, but here's my technique.

Toast entire foot, blow on it a bit. Then pull and roll the cigar while I light it, careful not to overload the foot with the flame. Then I blow on it a bit more, and touch up from there.

After I have a good light, I let it burn a minute or so before I take a big puff.

I don't know of THE correct way, but here's my technique.

Toast entire foot, blow on it a bit. Then pull and roll the cigar while I light it, careful not to overload the foot with the flame. Then I blow on it a bit more, and touch up from there.

After I have a good light, I let it burn a minute or so before I take a big puff.

That about covers it. Over scorching the tobacco can cause harshness it the beginning of the smoke.

Might be a dumb question, but does "toasting" mean giving it some flame but not pulling on it?

Go the nearest Herf near you. Someone will show you in person how to light a cigar (atleast the way they do it).

I personally think there are two ways, albiet both are similar to each other in certain aspects.

Soft flame (matches, flint lighters) mainly for indoor use.

1) Don't let the flame touch the cigar, you risk charring the wrapper and ruining the flavor.
2) Keep the cigar around half an inch above the flame, hold it at roughly a 45 degree angle, and rotately slowly to get a nice black rim around the foot (rim should be 1mm or less). You might see the cigar catch some fire, loose filler glows bright orange and slight blue flames attach themselves to the foot.
3) When the foot is warm, rim blackened, and you feel it is ready, puff on the cigar while rotating it slowly, still keeping that half in distance. (1/2 inch rougly equals 1.75 cm)
4) As you puff, you will notice the cigar foot will catch on fire quickly, when this happens, I turn the cigar foot facing up, let it burn a bit, until it goes out and then see how it is. Repeat cautiously until the foot is all ashy, or I see bright orange embers. Blow on it to spread the embers.

Torch for outdoor use.

1) Quickly run the torch across the foot to blacken it.
2) Puff on the cigar with the torch keeping the same distance (half an inch/1.75cm, maybe closer depending on outdoor conditions).
3) Follow step 4 from above.

I prefer the soft flame to the torch when lighting, but the torch is just so convenient, quick, fast, and easy. The only times I use a soft flame is with a cheapie BIC lighter from a gas station or with wooden matches (I let the flame sit on the match for a few seconds to burn away the sulphur first).

Hope this helps.

Just do it evenly and gently and all will be well.

Doc.

Am I the only one? I do not really toast the foot any more. I read that toasting the foot was originally done to eliminate flavor from adhesive that used to be used to make the wrapper stick to the binder. This same adhesive is no longer used. I typically light my cigars with an indirect flame at first while rotating the cigar gradually moving the flame closer. Anyone else bypass toasting the foot?

Am I the only one? I do not really toast the foot any more. I read that toasting the foot was originally done to eliminate flavor from adhesive that used to be used to make the wrapper stick to the binder. This same adhesive is no longer used. I typically light my cigars with an indirect flame at first while rotating the cigar gradually moving the flame closer. Anyone else bypass toasting the foot?
I used to, but don't really anymore. I use a butane torch, and hold it "away" from the cigar, gently puffing and rolling the cigar until I believe it's lit evenly. I'll gently blow on the foot and give it a look, looking for an even burn. Touch up as required, and then off you go.

Regards - B.B.S.

A restaurant in Davenport (Duck City) has a nice touch following a meal. If you would like an after dinner cigar they provide a nice selection of sticks. The waiter sets a brandy snifter upside down and pours a little Courvoisier onto the base and lights it. You toast the foot and light the cigar, when the flame goes out you dip the tip into the Courvoisier if you like. I find it a nice way to finish an evening out.

Doug

Well a bunch of people pm'd me asking, " Doc, how did you old timers light cigars, you know, before matches and lighters and stuff.?" Well here it is for all you newbies to fire.

Pull out a bunch of your favorite tinder about the size of an egg, flatten it, and lay it on the ground. Place a piece of char in the center of it. Holding the steel in your left hand and close over the char, grasp the flint in your right hand. Strike downward onto the face of the steel with the edge of the flint, causing a scraping, glancing blow at an angle of from 15 to 30 degrees, depending on the shape of your flint. This will knock sparks downward from the steel. The closer the steel is to the char, the hotter the sparks will be when they land on the char, and the better your chances. Once you see a spark catch in the char, and an area of red ember start developing in it, drop the flint and steel, wrap the char up into a bird's nest with the tinder, and begin to blow on it. No need to burst a lung, just steady blowing will do, and you can even wave it around instead of blowing. It will be good if you hold the nest above your head while blowing, as that will prevent all the smoke from blinding and choking you. Once the tinder bursts into flame, ignite your Spanish cedar, which you have whittled from a scrap that came with a box of cigars. Use like a match gently toasting, if you wish, and then puffing gently light your cigar and enjoy.

Thanks to B.E. Spencer.

Doc.

There is no correct way to light a cigar..... light it however you want. In time you will gravitate to what you prefer.

If you prefer to get other's "opinion" on whats the best way to light a cigar you can google it and get as many answers as you want. I use whatever source of fire is handy which is usually a torch. I've been known to use the gas stove in the kitchen too when I can't find a torch handy. I do try to stay away from zippo lighters that use lighter fluid but if thats all thats available it don't matter to me. After the first puff or two nobody can tell what lit the cigar.... nobody.

Here is a sweet little "cigar basics" video that covers lighting among other things. I think this guy is a member here either way its a sweet blog.

LINKY

One other way to light a cigar is with a piece of cedar usualy from the divider which comes in many cigar boxes......Break off a slim piece, toast the foot with the lit cedar. After sufficiently lit draw normaly.......The cedar enhances the flavor IMO

Bob

I don't do this on a regular basis, but was told that this was an old style way of lighting cigars. If you have a cigar that's wrapped in cedar, light it (with any source of flame), then light the cigar with the lit cedar. Obviously don't let the flame touch the cigar. The aroma of the cedar compliments the cigar.

I usally toast the foot and blow on the end making sure the entire surface of the foot is lit. I'm the guy yelling across the room to a newbie when they engulf the foot into the flame. I HATE THAT!