What is the wood in the cigar tube for?

Bentone39

I bought some Cohiba Robustos on a recent cruise and was told to soak the wood in good whiskey or bourbon or other alcohol of my liking to help infuse the cigar is this true or was it the salesman’s gimmick to get me to buy>?

Attachments

tone-ny

I smoke therefore I am!
The cedar is not a gimmick. Cigars in tubos with cedar taste differently than in a standard dress box.

Do not infuse any cigars you have. If you want infused cigars you can buy them that way. Like in all things YMMV

H. Vachon

Salty Bastard
Infusing with alcohol soaked wood is a good way to turn a $20 stick into a $.50 stick. If you like rum/whiskey infused cigars, they will be plentiful on a cruise or resort for fairly cheap (or free depending on where you are) but with a fine cigar, they come from the factory the way the blender intended.

jimgrotto

Well no one else is saying it so I will,
You where told to infuse the cigar with alcohol, to hide the taste of the shit it was rolled with. You don't buy cigars on a beach, in the street, or on a cruise .

H. Vachon

Salty Bastard
I
Well no one else is saying it so I will,
You where told to infuse the cigar with alcohol, to hide the taste of the shit it was rolled with. You don't buy cigars on a beach, in the street, or on a cruise .
That’s one perspective. May not be incorrect, but comes across quite strong. He’s asking a question to broaden his knowledge, no need to chase him off with answers like that.

bluue13

The cedar is not a gimmick. Cigars in tubos with cedar taste differently than in a standard dress box.

Do not infuse any cigars you have. If you want infused cigars you can buy them that way. Like in all things YMMV
I think Brandon meant the gimmick was being told it was there so that you could soak it in some kind of spirit. The cedar itself, I agree, is not a gimmick.