• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What is the wood in the cigar tube for?

Bentone39

I bought some Cohiba Robustos on a recent cruise and was told to soak the wood in good whiskey or bourbon or other alcohol of my liking to help infuse the cigar is this true or was it the salesman’s gimmick to get me to buy>?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 22
The cedar is not a gimmick. Cigars in tubos with cedar taste differently than in a standard dress box.

Do not infuse any cigars you have. If you want infused cigars you can buy them that way. Like in all things YMMV

Infusing with alcohol soaked wood is a good way to turn a $20 stick into a $.50 stick. If you like rum/whiskey infused cigars, they will be plentiful on a cruise or resort for fairly cheap (or free depending on where you are) but with a fine cigar, they come from the factory the way the blender intended.

Well no one else is saying it so I will,
You where told to infuse the cigar with alcohol, to hide the taste of the shit it was rolled with. You don't buy cigars on a beach, in the street, or on a cruise .

I
Well no one else is saying it so I will,
You where told to infuse the cigar with alcohol, to hide the taste of the shit it was rolled with. You don't buy cigars on a beach, in the street, or on a cruise .
That’s one perspective. May not be incorrect, but comes across quite strong. He’s asking a question to broaden his knowledge, no need to chase him off with answers like that.

The cedar is not a gimmick. Cigars in tubos with cedar taste differently than in a standard dress box.

Do not infuse any cigars you have. If you want infused cigars you can buy them that way. Like in all things YMMV

I think Brandon meant the gimmick was being told it was there so that you could soak it in some kind of spirit. The cedar itself, I agree, is not a gimmick.

2020 answer to a 2019 question:

1st. Spanish Cedar is native to Central and South America. It's not a "true" cedar but people call it that. It's Scientific Name is Cedrela odorata and it's a type of mahogany.

2nd. This wood retains a certain amount...not a lot...but a minimum amount of moisture. Being fantastic for humidity, releasing some humdity, but not rotting. It has a mild and distinct odor that enhances cigars and repels insects. DO NOT use North American cedar anywhere near cigars!!! North American cedar does repeal insects, repels rotting but gives off a VERY pungent cedar odor that will destroy the aroma and taste of cigars.
North American cedar is great for stuffing in dog bedding but not cigars!!!

3rd. DO NOT: Soak a cigar nor it's tip in alcohol or soak any humidification for cigars in alcohol. THE only alcohol your cigar should touch is the residue left on your lips from drinking bourbon(or your favorite drink with cigars) while smoking a cigar. Soaking or any such of the thinking of alcohol infused or touching a cigar with alcohol...think of this...Do you pour flavored Kool Aid in you beer or wine to enhance it's flavor???

4th. The cedar in the tube helps with humidification. Remember in #2, when I told you it retains a small amount of water but resists rot. With a tube/tubo....if your going to leave it ONLY in the tube...take it out and put the cigar in a humidor. That little sleeve is only in there to help...not maintain humidity for a looooooooooong time.

5th. The cedar sleeve can be used to light the cigar. Remember in #2, when I stated it has a mild odor...well it can be used to light cigars and DOESN'T impart negative flavor.

Example: Say you only have a zippo with LIGHTER FLUID in it NOT Butane. Lighter fluid will make any cigar from a Swisher Sweet to a Cohiba Behike taste bad. That boys and girls is why we use BUTANE...not lighter fluid. Or if you don't have sulfur free matches...true cigar matches DON'T have sulfur..or a very minimal amount, not like regular matches...you can light the sleeve and use it as the lighter.

1592016440730.png

Just my 2 cents

I just needed it. Thanks a lot for sharing. Overall I am very happy to learn so many new things from different forums like this and this is something amazing. In general, I adore this century of modern technologies that really make our lives easier and make us more informed. Also from the forums, I found out about the existence of discounts for marijuana seed orders and that amazed me if honestly. On the same day, I ordered from that site because I wanted to do it a long time ago, but I postponed it due to lack of time and other problems.

Last edited:
could be a cedar spill for lighting the cigar ........... of course you would have to light the spill first ..........