• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What is your favorite cigar size?

What is your favorite cigar size?

• Gigante,Presidente (8 to 10'; 52 to 64 ring)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Double Corona(7 1/2 to 8'; 49-50 ring)

• Churchill(7' w/ 47 or 48 ring)

• Panatela(6 1/2 to 6' w/ 34-39 ring)

• Lonsdale(7' w/ 42 ring)

• Corona Grande(6 1/2 to 6' w. 44-46 ring)

• Corona Extra5 1/2 w/ 44-46 ring)

• Corona5 1/2 w/ 42 ring)

• Petite Corona( 4 1/2 to 5' w/ 40-42 ring)

• Robusto(4 1/2 w/ 50 ring)

• Demitasse(3-5'; 30-36 ring)

• Total voters

SFG75

Master-passer
I'm one who appreciates a good churchill as much as the next CP brother. At the same time, there have been smokes where the experience just got......mundane or boring because it seemed like it took FOREVER to get done. In the past few months, I would've never smoked a Demitasse type cigar(short story, enchantmetn, mystique, or anything like that) simply because I thought it was essentially worthless. Wrong! Got to say that I'm more of a Demitasse to Robusto fan these days. Any comments?

I know, I know-sizes vary from brand to brand and what one brand calls a "robusto" is really a size or two larger. Call it the "supersize" epidemic that we have going on in this country. As Dr. Evil would say: "Work with me here people!" :)

Well, I haven't really given the smaller ring sizes a fair chance I guess. I like a larger ring size for the volume of smoke and coolness. And most of my stoogies are for the commute home so I want 40 to 60 minutes. Sometimes a robusto works and they are growing on me.

hudsonvalley said:
Well, I haven't really given the smaller ring sizes a fair chance I guess. I like a larger ring size for the volume of smoke and coolness. And most of my stoogies are for the commute home so I want 40 to 60 minutes. Sometimes a robusto works and they are growing on me.
I hear ya Tom. I use to never think about ring gauge size at all. I've found that you can have a huge ring gauge w/a smaller size cigar, say the Punch Champion or something like that. I couldn't believe that the ring gauge could allow a shorter cigar to last just as long as a larger one, but ring gauge does play a key role in that. My first smokes were mostly panatelas, and I enjoyed them a lot. Now I'm finding that the demitasse and others like it are really growing on me.

I lean toward Petit Coronas. For me its a matter of finding time to smoke a DC or a Churchill. Seems like every time I spark up a larger cigar something comes along to interupt it. :(

I'm a Demitasse through Corona Extra kind of guy. I couldn't find time for the smoke mentioned above them. Nor do I think my attention span would hold on. I find more flavor in the little guys too :thumbs:

cvmfour said:
I find more flavor in the little guys too :thumbs:
I know what you mean, I know other cigar aficionados who claim likewise. I've read from more than one source that no matter what the size, robusto through churchill-that each torcedor attempts to have a smoker experience the same uniform taste no matter what the size of the cigar. So if a cigar has a "peppery" or unbelievably strong start and then mellows out, that you should have the same experience no matter what the size. That doesn't necessarily mean that's what will occur though. I need to experiment with that myself. Perhaps take a day that I have off and smoke a large and small cigar the same day while taking notes on it.

90% of what i smoke is corona length or shorter and 42 ring or less...petite coronas are my favorite size.

part of it is attention span...an hour seems to be enough

part is the variety...there are only about a dozen churchills to choose from,yet (if you count machine made smokes)the petite coronas seem to have endless choixes.

part is due to the "aging"factor...petite corona size seem to be really good in 3 or 4 or 5 years...a five year old double corona may still show youthfull raunchyness/tarryness/juicyness(just experienced this with a '00 lusitania)

finally a small part is the price.

derrek :)

SFG75 - You should definitely try that with cubans. Although they might not have the same blend, the little guys are still stronger than the big guys or more in your face (there are some exceptions though).

There's a time and place for everything....

because of the time issue, I prefer the Demitasse through Corona Extra. although, I prefer them 50+. Seems to get more flavor with the fatter ones.

There's nothing wrong with a good Churchill or Double Corona, in the evening hammock under the stars with a tall glass of Crown Royal Special Reserve on the rocks.

Nothing like a Short story, or Zino platinum Chubby, or any other good perferado type cigar.

Couldn't find the "Whatever's Free" Size listed........

Really, my favorites are Torpedos, but since that's a shape vs size I went with Robusto.... Generally anywhere btwn 4-6 and 50-60 ring is about the right size. I'm slowly trying some of the smaller / thinner sticks, but I still tend to smoke 'em too fast and they get quite hot and a bit acrid now and then. I do love some bugger presidente / churchills, but like everybody else I rarely have the time to devote to them.

I didn't vote because I like a variety of particular Havana vitolas:

Minuto: 4 3/8 x 42
Mareva: 5 x 42
Julieta: 7 x 47
Prominentes: 7 5/8 x 49
Corona Gorda: 5 5/8 x 46
Gran Coronas: 9 1/4 x 47
Coronas Grandes: 6 1/8 x 42

Which are all over the lot. It completely depends on what mood I'm in or how much time I have to smoke a cigar.

I don't like Robustos & Hermosos #4 nor pointy ended cigars.

I buy and smoke robusto/rothschild the most.

I have had an increasing like for Small/Petit Coronas though (3" to 4" with 40-46 ring). Cupido Knuckles, Bolivar Fuerte Petit Bolivar, and Professor Sila Petit Coronas are 3 I have in the coolerdor now that I enjoy.

My favorite size would be figurados that are similar in size to Robusto - Perfectos and Belicoso that are around 4.5" to 5.5" and 46 - 60 in ring. Unfortunately you really have to pay extra for the time and talent that is required to make these so I don't have many. I have a box of Oliva Grand Cameroon Mini Belicoso now, I love how they look. I am gonna have to get a box of Short Stories soon as well.

-Matt-

I love them all but find the Churchill to be my consistant favorite. Of course I don't always have time to savor a stick of this magnitude so the Piramide and Robusto come a very close second and third.

I like the petite corona for a few reasons. I love RASCC's and they are so very affordable.

My favorite domestic are PAM's and PAN's and again, cost is a factor, plus my local cigar bar usually has the Principe's in stock (not sure if thats really a petite corona).

And lastly, I perfer a nice 30-45 min smoke.