• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What is your favorite Domestic Macro-beer?

Phlicker

also know as @PhillyBeerGuy
OK, if you had to choose one mass-produced domestic "macro" brew beer to drink, what would it be?

I've been thinking about posting this topic for awhile now, for several reasons:
  1. Many of the beers we discuss on here aren't available nationwide
  2. Many of the beers that true aficionados covet aren't really "session" beers
  3. Many of the same beers are cost prohibitive to procure on a high-volume level (party/barbecue/football game/etc.)
  4. Sometimes you just want to "drink a beer" to be refreshed, and aren't really in the mood to savor it, dissect it's many intricacies, etc.
Now granted, most true beer lovers really tend to shy away from the Miller/Coors/Busch properties for obvious reasons. However there are some times that one of these beers is entirely appropriate. Personally, Yuengling is my "go-to" beer. At $17/case and produced locally here in Pennsylvania, it's hard to beat, but a lot of "shot and a beer" type guys that I know steer clear of it, accusing it of being "too dark" or "too heavy" ???. Additionally it's not available nationwide, so I can't qualify it. If I'm drinking light beer it's usually Amstel, but that's an import and currently about $35/case (disclaimer: my beer pricing might be off compared to yours. Here in the Keystone state we can only purchase beer by the case from distributors), so that doesn't cut it, either. I've never really cared for Miller Lite or Bud Lite, but will occasionally reach for an ice-cold Coors Light if it's oppressively hot out. I used to drink a lot of Rolling Rock, especially in the summer months, but since A-B bought the Latrobe Brewing Co. and moved production out of PA and into northern N.J., it hasn't been quite the same.

I was recently invited to a friend's house for a Poker night, and he was serving Miller High Life. I seem to remember somebody telling me once that this was the preferred macro beer for many discerning beer drinkers (the guys that post on ratebeer.com, beeradvocate.com, etc.). I don't remember if it was in a thread on here or if Jonas and I were discussing it, or if I just imagined it, but I have to admit that I really enjoyed drinking it. All-in-all I'd take it over a Miller Lite any day. Plus, they've got really funny commercials now :)

So what's it going to be, fellas? You're hosting a card night or football watch party and have to buy a few cases to quench your guests' thirsts, or you're on a road trip out in the middle of nowhere and take a pit stop at a backwoods roadside dive for a burger and a beer. What do you buy/order? Call it your "Archie Bunker" beer. Couple stipulations here: the beer has to be 1. cheap 2. domestic 3. available everywhere (or damn near close to everywhere) and 4. produced by one of the major breweries (Miller/Molson-Coors/A-B/Pabst/etc). Previous threads have gone off in several directions, with posters naming micro brews, imports, and even some large domestic brews that don't quite fit this category (Sam Adams, for one). I understand we'd all prefer those beers if we can get them, but what if you couldn't? What would you go into any store expecting to see and grab if none of the premiums were available?

My List (in no particular order):
  • Miller High Life
  • Coors (Original)
  • Molson Canadian (ok, this is a stretch, but Coors owns them now)
  • Rolling Rock :(
  • Coors Light (if I'm forced to drink a domestic light beer, this'd be the one)

Favorite "macro" brew....easy answer: Miller Lite, long necks, on ice. You cannot beat it on a hot day, standing around the BBQ....... :cool:

I would go with Bud, just because. Michelob would be my second choice.

Yuengling is Mother's Milk, but it's not national. What do you think of Yuengling Premium?

Favorite "macro" brew....easy answer: Miller Lite, long necks, on ice. You cannot beat it on a hot day, standing around the BBQ....... :cool:
My NASCAR buddies swear by this one...but try as I might I've never been able to get past more than one or two...

What do you think of Yuengling Premium?
It's funny, I like Yuengling Lager (this is the Yuengling I referred to in my first post) better than Yuengling Premium, but I like Yuengling Light better than their newer Light Lager. Go figure...

I don't think mine counts as it is an import, but some buddies turned me on to Tecate and I always tend to have the 30-count cube on hand.

Miller High Life it is and I think we had that conversation while we were at Monk's Mike. :thumbs:

What do you think of Yuengling Premium?
It's funny, I like Yuengling Lager (this is the Yuengling I referred to in my first post) better than Yuengling Premium, but I like Yuengling Light better than their newer Light Lager. Go figure...

I agree with you. Had it a few weeks ago for the first time. Don't know if they just started sending it up here or if I just wasn't noticing it on the shelf. The lager is better.

Anyway, I want to add Labatt Blue to my list, if it meets the qualifications.

Budlight has always been the "party" beer in my group if we are floating a river or just having a keg party.

Honestly, after drinking three or four beers and on the way to 7 or 8, it doesn't really matter :rolleyes:

So long as its cold I believe most of the mass produced beers on the market today taste pretty much the same.

If I get to pick any? I've definitely developed a taste for McSorley's Ale :thumbs:

http://www.mcsorleysnewyork.com/

Old Style in a can. Seriously. If you are going to drink piss beer why spend more than you need to. Plus it's sentimental for me.

Pabst Blue Ribbon. Union made by Americans for Americans!

Dead serious. 100% my go to beer, and yes I can afford better (barely) :laugh:

Billy

The closest I can get is a Samuel Adams Sampler Pack for a party. Ususally 6 different flavors so guests can pick something they like.

I have not had a mass produced beer in probably 6 years. If I'm at a party and that's all there is I'm drinking soda for the night.

Pabst Blue Ribbon. Union made by Americans for Americans!

Dead serious. 100% my go to beer, and yes I can afford better (barely) :laugh:

Billy
There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with a PBR. Always reminds me of camping out in Western PA with my family, and of the Johnny Russell song, "Red Necks, White Socks, and Blue Ribbon Beer." I was checking out Pabst's website earlier today while putting together the first post in this thread, and it's amazing how many of the venerable old beer labels are owned by them now (a few mentioned here, too). Granted, they produce their fair share of crap-ola, but they own Justin's Rainier, Brickhouse's Stag, LedMizer's McSorley's, Fyodor's Old Style, Ballantine, and the old Philadelphia brand Schmidt's.

Any Genesee Cream Ale fans out there? :cool: