• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What smokes good straight out of the box?

Flatsix

What have you had lately right out of the box that was good? I'm looking in the 48-54 RG and 5.5-7.0 maduro or natural and in the $90-130.00 box price range.

I have to agree with Padron 2000M and AF 858

Seth

I'll beat BFreebern to it...AF Chateau Fuente Sungrown. LFD Chiselito Madruo or Natural.

Don Pepin Cuban Classic Black Petite Lancero 1977.................................Damn good cigar right out of the box. :thumbs:

I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't like fresh 2Ks all that much. But with 8+ months of downtime they are fantastic.

I'd rather smoke a fresh LGC Wavell any day of the week.

Padron 2K

I'll second that (or 3rd, or whatever. All the X000 are great)

Fuente 858, natural or maduro.

Is it just me that seems to have a talent for picking bad ones? While I enjoy the flavour, they're just so bloody tight!!!
I've smoked a couple of boxes of these and I've never had a tight one. They're one of my favorites.

As to the original post, I think most of the non Cuban cigars on the market will be pretty good out of the box assuming they are not over humidified and are made up of a good blend to begin with. There are, of course, many of these same cigars that will be much better and outstanding with some age even though they are very good "fresh".

There are exceptions, but I haven't run into too many in my 2-3 years of smoking. Others with more experience may tell a different story, however.

A little narrower than what you've specified, but the 8-5-8 Maddies are tough to go wrong with.

I will recommend Trilogy Maduro's. The price is reasonable, and they are quite tasty. I actually prefer them to 8-5-8 maduros, plus they are within the ring gage you like.