• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What smoking music are you listening to? (2024)

On an Allman Brothers mood this morning:

If you can afford it the Super-Deluxe editions with the 5.1 remixes on Blu-ray are like discovering a whole new album. I've got the old Quad versions and they can't compare.

Steve Albini passed away yesterday. Even if you don't know the name, you know of at least several albums that he's worked on (he's produced/engineered thousands of bands and albums) -- almost always without liner credits. He wasn't the most popular person in the industry at times, but his contributions are legendary.

Oh man. THAT brings back some memories.

1980. I was in the Seabees, short timer, soon to be discharged & start my tattooing apprenticeship. A group of us from my battalion drove down to LA to catch the first US show of their 1980 World Tour. It was a Friday the 13th & we were all flying high on two hits each of Purple Dragon blotter. I had drawn "Judas" down one leg of my Levis & "Priest" down the other in huge red letters. 😵‍💫

Don't remember the opening act but there was a loooonnng wait & the whole auditorium started stomping in unison while chanting "Unleash the Priest!" Finally the lights dimmed again & Rob Halford roared out on to the stage on a black & chrome full dress Harley. Revved the pipes right into the microphone & the whole place just shook.

As the blotter kicked in it got to be more & more like having good seats for the end of the world. Just an incredible show. And "Green Manalishi," the song we'd all been waiting for, was the encore. What a great night.

~Boar

Back