• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What Whiskey, Rum or Cognac are you drinking today.

View attachment 44909

What a good night! Picked up a few goodies this evening. The one in the middle is a very special treat. Many years ago I found Cuervo’s de la Familia Platino (Blanco) I was blown away how smooth it was. When I found the extra anejo I could not resist. It does not disappoint. If you’re a fan of anejo tequilas - this should be at the top of your list!

The Smoke Wagon uncut unfiltered cask strength bourbon was quite a surprise when I found it. I’ve heard stories and never thought I’d have it in my hands. I was looking for Blanton’s, but I think this might have been a better find!

Finally - I’m a huge fan of Herradura Tequila. This one has me intrigued - a crystal clear anejo. Can’t wait to break that one open!
I would not have figured you for a big fan of tequila. I'm pretty new to tequila, can you give me some pointers and advice on what separates great tequila from good tequila from bad tequila? Currently, I look for reposado bottles around $30- give or take. I've been enjoying Espolon, Cazadores and Teremana this summer and last.

The Smoke Wagon uncut unfiltered cask strength bourbon was quite a surprise when I found it. I’ve heard stories and never thought I’d have it in my hands. I was looking for Blanton’s, but I think this might have been a better find!
The uncut unfiltered is candy. You will find "Distilled in Indiana" on the back label which is MGP. If Blanton's was in any other bottle it would rot on the shelf. And it actually does i.e. Ancient Age. Both are Buffalo Trace mashbill #2 (high rye). The rumor is that Blanton's barrels that are not selected for bottling are blended and rebottled as Ancient Age. Go take a look at your local's bottom shelf for Ancient Age Ten Star.

Last edited:
I would not have figured you for a big fan of tequila. I'm pretty new to tequila, can you give me some pointers and advice on what separates great tequila from good tequila from bad tequila? Currently, I look for reposado bottles around $30- give or take. I've been enjoying Espolon, Cazadores and Teremana this summer and last.
I'm a HUGE fine spirit fan, but have a special fondness for tequila. I almost always choose Anejo because of its general smokiness and smoothness. Some of my off the shelf favorites are Casa Noble, Don Julio, Herradura, Milagro, Fortaleza, Corralejo. I've not had Espolon, but I do like Cazadores and Teremana (though I do tend to prefer the first group more).

I tend to like small batch tequilas because they are so characteristically different than mass produced tequilas (anyone who has had college experiences with Cuervo knows exactly why I avoid them). Just like my cigars - I really want to enjoy what I drink, as opposed to drinking for enjoyment. I do love to try new offerings, which is why I was intrigued by the Cuervo La Familia line of tequilas. It was a very unexpected surprise, and I would not have even considered it if not for the very cool hand blown bottle and wood case it came in. Unlike the rest of their commercial line, this one does appear to be handcrafted and was very enjoyable.

As far as Blanco, Repisado and Anejo. I rarely like Blanco because it is so raw. I have several reposados I do/will drink. But I am largely a more refined tequila drinker - I really enjoy the unique flavor of tequila, and expecially love to sip it versus mixing or "doing shots". With a cigar - some Anejo Tequilas I've had perfectly compliment medium to full bodied/strength cigars.

What I really do find fascinating is the production of tequila. Jimadores skillfully work the fields of with the coa and barreton to cut down the agave plant at the right time, in the right way. It is unlike any other way liquor is produced and to me is as tedious as producing cigars. I really love that connection!

The uncut unfiltered is candy. You will find "Distilled in Indiana" on the back label which is MGP. If Blanton's was in any other bottle it would rot on the shelf. And it actually does i.e. Ancient Age. Both are Buffalo Trace mashbill #2 (high rye). The rumor is that Blanton's barrels that are not selected for bottling are blended and rebottled as Ancient Age. Go take a look at your local's bottom shelf for Ancient Age Ten Star.

You are spot on with it being candy! I only needed to add a splash of water to smooth it out just a wee bit. Man did it taste amazing. I see why it is sought after and in short supply!

I love everything from Smoke Wagon. I’m having uncut unfiltered right now which if you can find it BUY IT, but the other bottles are also must buys when I see them.

I did not see this post until AFTER I found the uncut unfilitered Smoke Wagon. Damn that's some good whisky!!!

I'm a HUGE fine spirit fan, but have a special fondness for tequila. I almost always choose Anejo because of its general smokiness and smoothness. Some of my off the shelf favorites are Casa Noble, Don Julio, Herradura, Milagro, Fortaleza, Corralejo. I've not had Espolon, but I do like Cazadores and Teremana (though I do tend to prefer the first group more).

I tend to like small batch tequilas because they are so characteristically different than mass produced tequilas (anyone who has had college experiences with Cuervo knows exactly why I avoid them). Just like my cigars - I really want to enjoy what I drink, as opposed to drinking for enjoyment. I do love to try new offerings, which is why I was intrigued by the Cuervo La Familia line of tequilas. It was a very unexpected surprise, and I would not have even considered it if not for the very cool hand blown bottle and wood case it came in. Unlike the rest of their commercial line, this one does appear to be handcrafted and was very enjoyable.

As far as Blanco, Repisado and Anejo. I rarely like Blanco because it is so raw. I have several reposados I do/will drink. But I am largely a more refined tequila drinker - I really enjoy the unique flavor of tequila, and expecially love to sip it versus mixing or "doing shots". With a cigar - some Anejo Tequilas I've had perfectly compliment medium to full bodied/strength cigars.

What I really do find fascinating is the production of tequila. Jimadores skillfully work the fields of with the coa and barreton to cut down the agave plant at the right time, in the right way. It is unlike any other way liquor is produced and to me is as tedious as producing cigars. I really love that connection!
Thank you for your insight. I printed up your post to serve as my shopping list next time I'm at the store.

i agree that most reposado tequilas are meant for shots vs sipping. I have found 2 brands where their teposados are quite good and could easily be sipped chilled. Never tried pairing with cigars though. Clase azul and casa dragones. Cosamigos Anejo is quite good as well

i agree that most reposado tequilas are meant for shots vs sipping. I have found 2 brands where their teposados are quite good and could easily be sipped chilled. Never tried pairing with cigars though. Clase azul and casa dragones. Cosamigos Anejo is quite good as well
Clase Azul has my eye. Was curious about it, but always worry if I spend that much money if it will be worth it - and Clase is NOT cheap. But love the bottle!

Off topic a bit - I've really come to love Japanse whisky's (most especially Hibiki) and I am curious about The Hakushu 12 year. I'm told it's a peated whisky, though only lightly peated. I'm not a huge fan of peat, but my experience Poit Dhubh (pronounced potch ghoo) blended Scotch ("Gaelic Whisky") has me rethinking peated whisky's. I'm thinking that's likely my next purchase.

Last edited:
Clase Azul has my eye. Was curious about it, but always worry if I spend that much money if it will be worth it - and Clase is NOT cheap. But love the bottle!

Off topic a bit - I've really come to love Japanse whisky's (most especially Hibiki) and I am curious about The Hakushu 12 year. I'm told it's a peated whisky, though only lightly peated. I'm not a huge fan of peat, but my experience Poit Dhubh has me rethinking peated whiskey's. I'm thinking that's likely my next purchase.
Never had the hakushu but Hibiki Harmony is a great choice so is Yamazaki 12

Thank you for your insight. I printed up your post to serve as my shopping list next time I'm at the store.

I just hope and pray your taste buds are like mine! My wife does not always understand my spirit choice logic, but she generally likes the spirits I pick.

I’m having a glass of “candy” (Smoke Wagon), toasting your insight into uncut unfiltered! Something I did not discover except by pure accident! 😎

I’m having a glass of “candy” (Smoke Wagon), toasting your insight into uncut unfiltered! Something I did not discover except by pure accident! 😎
Cheers! I'm an MGP slut. It's all fantastic.

Any of you rum drinkers have any experience with Plantation 5 year? Received as a gift from someone… Seems like it gets decent reviews for an inexpensive bottle.
B7CAFF5B-8CBD-4ADA-BD97-26908982BE58.jpeg

Last edited: