• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What would age more gracefully?

I rarely buy cigars with the intent of aging, although if you buy a lot more than you smoke, it happens.
I really like the few aged Fuente Anejos and Opus that I have smoked and have 4 boxes set back for that purpose. They are only 2 years old at this point and I will began slowly smoking them at 5 years.
+1 on the anejos. dont have opus experience but anejos are really fun to age. havent had any that are over 3 years old but the year by year transition is really interesting to note. 1st yr is "meh", 2nd yr is "hmmmm, interesting" 3rd yr is "ok, i get why everyone likes anejos", now im waiting on yrs 4 and beyond

i have lfd dbl ligero lanceros from '08 which have mellowed out considerably. very smooth but somewhat one dimensional. and almost none of the bang that you get from a fresh one.

and then of course, as many have pointed out, cubans may actually be the best way to go. the only issue is that there are so many to choose from lol

if the issue is cash, the x000 series should be your bottom point. slightly higher, maybe go for anejos or similarly priced cubans (if you're comfortable with cubans). and then higher end cubans or opus could round out the the upper end.

just my long winded 2 cents

Also I should add that Anejo's seem to age with grace. That would be a leading candidate for a long-term age. I have some with almost a decade on them and they're a lot of fun.

BBS, above jmG mentioned that x000 would be his bottom line, which works for me. I was wondering if you personally have done anything with the x000?

....don't be shy, the gazebo is a nice place to hang, and there are 'a couple' of decent smokes here.....:cool:
Careful, she has more expensive taste when it comes to cigars than I do. She always seems to be able to pick the most expensive, rare or discontinued CC stick out of my humidor whenever I'm not home to say "no not that one".:confused:

8 chi's and a pug....Lucy, Tut (dad), Chica (mom), Uno (aka the Unobomber), Spike, Tuchi, Kismet, and Pico. Cleo the pug completes the herd.....

BBS, above jmG mentioned that x000 would be his bottom line, which works for me. I was wondering if you personally have done anything with the x000?

Ed, I don't want to head into politics, but IMHO, the Padron of today isn't the Padron of even half a decade ago. I used to be three boxes deep on 2000's in addition to boxes of 64's and 26's but those days are gone. I still stick my toe in the water now and then because the truth is I have such loyalty and respect for the brand and the family. But I've got to tell you, one of the nastiest boxes of sticks I've EVER bought was a box of 3000 maduros about three years ago. Bitter, tannic, just horrible. Now, the Family Reserve's are good, but when you get into the $20+ per stick area, there are lots of wonderful options out there.

So, no, I'm not going to recommend x000's for aging. Time doesn't turn a bad stick into a good stick, you only get old bad sticks........

As they say, one man's opinion.....

I should be very clear - it's not just Padron that has this problem.....again, IMHO.