• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What would you buy with $150

brianetz1

I've been here for a while and did my best to just shut up and read and did searches and learned about the various members here by reading.

I have come to the conclusion is that you guys are really smart about cigars and I value your opinion.

So in the next month i have a birthday and will get $150 from my dear old rich grandmother and her intent is that i don't spend it on bills but rather i spend it on something that i want not something that i need.  Since I don't really NEED cigars, but i want more, this seems to be the perfect thing to spend it on.  I already have a nice 200ct humidor and all the things that go with it....so no need for expensive accessories.

So i want to ask the question to you all, outside of buying a newbie sampler, what cigars would you buy with $150?

Would you buy a box?  If so what box? (my preference)

Would you go after singles on cbid?  5ers on cbid?  

A crap ton of White Owls and Ron Mexicos?  

Just as long as it is cigar related I'm game.

Thanks in advance!

Do you have a real favorite but because of price point you only smoke it on occasion? I would buy them and have an occasion once per month. Myself, I'd go for Liga Privada #9. That will get you ten smokes and have change for some libation. Enjoy your birthday and give gram a big hug.

Depending on your cigar experience, personally whenever I had $150-200 to spare in my early days of smoking, I'd hit up the best store around and just buy an assortment of ~20 sticks, most new, some old faves. I'd do some research beforehand and also brought my cigar buddy Audi_Kraut along for guidance. 

Depending on your cigar experience, personally whenever I had $150-200 to spare in my early days of smoking, I'd hit up the best store around and just buy an assortment of ~20 sticks, most new, some old faves. I'd do some research beforehand and also brought my cigar buddy Audi_Kraut along for guidance. 
This is great advice. If you have a local you can go to. Use them for your purchases. The knowledge and experiences there will be priceless. Enjoy your birthday.

I'd go to the local also, get a variety of sticks, either go with someone you trust of ask the advice/assistance of the staff to pick a few sticks, at least 1-2 that you would never buy, but you've wanted to try. I did this many a times and would usually pick up an opus, padron 64 or 26, or some other higher priced stick with great reviews/feedback. Right now if I had $150 to just pick up anything, while CC's are worth it, I'd pass them up and pick up as many Herrera Esteli sticks as I could.

Happy hunting!

C

grateful1 said:
Three 1980 H Upmann Monarcas!
Because these are so readily available... :laugh: 

I would buy a box of H. Upmann Half Coronas and a few random singles to taste! 

Pugman1943 said:
Do you have a real favorite but because of price point you only smoke it on occasion? I would buy them and have an occasion once per month. Myself, I'd go for Liga Privada #9. That will get you ten smokes and have change for some libation. Enjoy your birthday and give gram a big hug.

I am kind of at the point where i have a good clue of what i like and what i don't  but am still buying samplers and 5ers to 100% figure it out.  Part of the allure of smoking cigars for me is the massive amount of variety that i have found so far.  I have already made good friends with a B&M that i will go to, and have gone through the go into the shop and ask for suggestions phase.  I have a decent stock of cigars because i play poker online with an ante of a 5pack of cigars on another forum that I frequent and have won several times.    

Really I am looking for YOUR suggestions.  I don't want my likes and dislikes to cloud what you would do with it.  I am looking at this less as advice for me and more as ideas for something that i didn't think about yet.

thanks for all the suggestions so far.  Brought up some new ideas and some off the wall ideas that were kind of funny.  Keep em coming.

Get a nice lighter and cutter.  It'll last longer than a few cigars and you'll have something to remember your grandmother's generosity.

engspot said:
Get a nice lighter and cutter.  It'll last longer than a few cigars and you'll have something to remember your grandmother's generosity.

i have 2 xikar cutters and a bugatti lighter (2 xikar lighters too but I like the bugatti better).  All set there.  Thanks though!

You being fairly new to cigars, should buy some samples of boxes.  Buying a box of Padrons for example would lock you in to 25 cigars, all pretty much the same, not allowing you to check out all of the great cigars available.  Pick up 15 -20 singles and start to build your knowledge base.  Have fun! ;)

Id buy what you like, and go with that. So there is no disappointment. Or buy your self a nice sampler and a few of something you already know you like.

Hey brianetz I have an idea.

What if you list the cigars you have tried so far that you really like?

Then the more experienced guys can offer some suggestions.

Just a thought.

Turbolag said:
Hey brianetz I have an idea.

What if you list the cigars you have tried so far that you really like?

Then the more experienced guys can offer some suggestions.

Just a thought.

Good idea. 

Tall Paul said:

Three 1980 H Upmann Monarcas!
Because these are so readily available... :laugh:

I would buy a box of H. Upmann Half Coronas and a few random singles to taste! 

Not anymore...we smoked these three last night! ;)