• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Whats in your glass right now? 2013

Monkey Shoulder scotch here as well. Nice scotch for the price. 

so this is a late post but for thanksgiving I ventured out of my comfort zone and purchased a bottle of Lagavulin 16. Man this stuff is real smokey right off the bat but let the ice eventually water it down ( i use the king cube 2inch cubes) and then add a lil more to even out and yum. going to try and keep growing my scotch palette

Scored a bottle of Johnnie Walker Green Label today in celebration of Repeal Day.  Every bit as good as I remember it.

Celebrating the 80th anniversary of Repeal with some Monkey Shoulder . . . okay, LOTS of Monkey Shoulder.  :whistling: 

~Boar

Not A Nice Person said:
Celebrating the 80th anniversary of Repeal with some Monkey Shoulder . . . okay, LOTS of Monkey Shoulder.  :whistling:

~Boar

I need to pick up a bottle of that, I'm hearing good things.

Not A Nice Person said:

~Boar

Monkey Shoulder is now available in NJ, but unfortunately, no one down by me stocks it....and I needed a bottle as the one LOS gifted me at the QSH was almost finished. So while I was traveling in Northern NJ for business, I stopped in to see Seth over at Shoppers Vineyard in Clifton. I scored a 1,75L bottle of Johnny Walker Gold for around $100 and asked if he had the Monkey Shoulder and he said yes. While he was checking me out and we were talking cigars & about his new girlfriend moving in with him, he mentions to me that the people buying it were using it as a mixer scotch, not a sipping scotch. I was surprised to hear that as it's a blend of 3 solid single malts. 

He thought it didn't have enough legs to stand on it's own as a sipping drink...and I begged to differ. He said he would give it another shot just to make sure of his opinion. I do think it would be a flavorful scotch to mix with, but I don't really make to many mixed drinks (if any) that use scotch. 

What do you guys think?...good enough to sip? To me it's great every day scotch.  :thumbs:

RD Rattray 18 yr old Macallen aged in bourbon barrels, no sherry. Very good and interesting.

I agree Monkey is good enough to stand on its son, does not need much ice or water. All scotch blends are composed of single malts, some as many as 40 and dome will have some grain whiskey mixed in. If it weren't for the blends we would not have all the single malts we enjoy! I believe Monkey was built and marketed as a higher end blend balanced for mixing, but good enough to stand omits own ax an every day drinker.

Spring bank 12 yr old claret barrel finish, nice change of pace.

Whistle Pig

This stuff makes me want to seek out Rye. Love it.

Brickhouse said:
Whistle Pig

It is actually Canadian whiskey shipped across the border and bottled at their "farm". Canadian rye, not American rye.

William Larue Wellar 2012 w/ a JJ Series Lil Robusto, we had to put one of our two Corgis to sleep this afternoon from a very aggressive cancer. We will miss Jack!

Rock said:

Whistle Pig

It is actually Canadian whiskey shipped across the border and bottled at their "farm". Canadian rye, not American rye.

William Larue Wellar 2012 w/ a JJ Series Lil Robusto, we had to put one of our two Corgis to sleep this afternoon from a very aggressive cancer. We will miss Jack!

Right, I know Dave Pickerell formerly of Maker's Mark is involved now, but currently it's a Canadian product bottled in Vermont.  If I'm not mistaken, their goal is to move forward with full production at the Whistle Pig farm in the future though.  We'll see how that turns out.  It's currently a great Rye, and 100% at that.

EricDriscoll said:
About to do a vertical tasting.

That's the way to go...drinking whilst laying down doesn't give your taste buds a chance to savor the moment. 

...AND DON'T DRINK IT ALL! 

You know what I'm talking about.  :whistling: