• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Whats in your glass right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was cruising around the web and came accross an interesting adaptation to a Manhattan called a Diamondback.

I modified the recipe slightly and it turned out excellent.

2.5oz Rye
1oz Lairds Apple Liquor
.5oz Green Chartruese

This was pretty balanced and allowed the Rye to remain at the forefront where it was rounded out by the Lairds and Chartreuese.

I had never had a Diamondback but, must say I definitely enjoyed this one very much. I will definitely be making a few more of these.

If you have the ingredients stir one up you will not be disappointed.

Four Roses Small Batch.

I tried some Four Roses for the first time last month. It was the Single Barrel. The finish in that is so long and smooth I was guzzling it. I sure paid for it the next morning.

I've had the single barrel and while it was good, I like the consistency of the small batch. It's easily my favorite bourbon to date.

Angel's Envy

What did you think of it? I cracked my first bottle tonight, on a good friend's recommendation, and while I'm impressed with it---very spicy and complex---it's not really "bourbon" and not at all what I expected. I thought it'd be sweeter, but it's fairly dry and doesn't seem to have that "corn" flavor I associate with bourbon. Almost like it's halfway between bourbon and Scotch.

~Boar

Yeah, that pretty much captures my impression of it. My wife loved it and I can't say I didn't enjoy it, but half way through the bottle I found myself ready to put this one back and find something else.

Bruichladdich - waves one of the best bang for the buck I've found around

:)

Laphroaig Triple Wood. If you enjoy Laphroaig you need a bottle!

I just picked up a bottle this week as it was just released in NH. I am a HUGE Laphroaig fan and was a little disapointed in my first dram.

It tasted like a combination of the 10 and the QC and felt a little un structured and off balance. Almost tasted like something that I could blend at home as an experiment.

Hopefully, the bottle will open up and meld or maybe my senses were off a little that day but, I was really anticipating this dram for a while and felt a little let down.

I also grabbed The Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14yo and this one was a real winner. It was smooth as can be and had a nice round and robust flavor. One of the better new bottles I have tried in a while.

I will revisit the Laph TW and post my thoughts. Hopefully it was me that was off not the bottle.

Angel's Envy

What did you think of it? I cracked my first bottle tonight, on a good friend's recommendation, and while I'm impressed with it---very spicy and complex---it's not really "bourbon" and not at all what I expected. I thought it'd be sweeter, but it's fairly dry and doesn't seem to have that "corn" flavor I associate with bourbon. Almost like it's halfway between bourbon and Scotch.

~Boar
Yeah, that pretty much captures my impression of it. My wife loved it and I can't say I didn't enjoy it, but half way through the bottle I found myself ready to put this one back and find something else.

I tried this at a friends house and was not that impressed with it either. Just tasted off and did not stand out in any particular way.

I remembered almost grabbing it but, deciding to pay a little extra for the Parker Heritage Collection Cognac Cask. Definitely, feel I made the right decision there as the PHC Cognac is an exceptional pour.

Second round with Angel's Envy . . . I was coming down with a cold the first time around, as it turns out, and my taste buds were a little off. It's much better revisited. Still not in my top three bourbons by any means, but it's good.

~Boar

I met up with some folks from straightbourbon.com the other day. Got a chance to try the EH Taylor Tornado C, a few Four Roses private bottlings and Elmer T Lee, plus Elijah Craig 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.