• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's in your pipe today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished the first break-in smoke of my new Boswell Egg with Squadron Leader. Great combination of pipe and tobacco!

Mac Baren's Scottish Mixture -- Just opened 4 oz that was packed with a seal-a-meal about 5 years ago. The vaccuum compressed it so hard that, as it lost some moisture, it turned into a solid irregular brick. I broke it up into almond shell sized pieces. Just rubbed some out and I gotta say this tastes AWESOME after this wierd treatment!!! :thumbs:

I found two somewhat aged tins of Charing Cross and Kensington ( both from 8/05) yesterday so today its been those two in a GBD New Era and a GBD Century.

Westminster today. I like this more and more each time I have it. I think I'll have to order a few tins to put away.

Sunjammer from the Hearth & Home series over at pipesandcigars.com.

This is a pretty good tobacco. Not too heavy with just the right amount of latakia to let you know it's there and a little sweetness. I like this quite a bit. It's much "milder" than many of the other tobaccos I like, but it's very good for a change of pace. It's by no means an airy smoke, but it ain't Penzance.

Yesterday Maltese Falcon in a vintage GBD Century. Not sure yet about this tobacco as my taste buds need some rest after 4 days smoking cigars in Ybor City.

Yesterday Maltese Falcon in a vintage GBD Century. Not sure yet about this tobacco as my taste buds need some rest after 4 days smoking cigars in Ybor City.
Please do post your thoughts on this blend after you've given it a fair shake. I've been hesitant to order any as all I've read are glowing reviews. I'm always leery when I can't find at least one person that has at least one thing about a tobacco they don't like. In fact, I almost always read the negatives on tobacco reviews first to get an idea of whether or not I'll like a blend.

I will post my inital impressions after a few more bowls. However, I'm always leary of first impressions in tobacco; the McCelland people claim you need to smoke at least 4 ounces of a blend before being able to taste all of the subtle flavors. Moreover, my tin, which I only opened yesterday, needs to dry out a little. It was January production and fairly wet.

GL Pease's Cairo in a vintage GBD. This tobacco is a complete (pleasant) surprise to me. I mostly smoke English or Balkan blends. While there are some orientals in Cairo, the Virginias and the Perique come through more prominately. There is a refreshing citrus note. This is a really nice change of pace for the English/Balkan smoker.

McClelland's Grand Oriental Yenice Agonya in a Nording 2004 Hunter. This tobacco is really mild, but tasty!

Nick

Big pipe day yesterday. Two bowls of Cairo, both in vintage GBDs. Then a bowl of Kensington in a Boswell. Then a bowl of Maltese Falcon in a Boswell. As I'm working through my first tin of MF, I'm getting smoky Latakia and spice with a touch of citrus. It's good but not an immediate top favorite (that didn't stop me from ordering two MF coffee mugs) but it's growning on me. I'll pick up more of the subtle flavors as I get more familiar with it.

Big pipe day yesterday. Two bowls of Cairo, both in vintage GBDs. Then a bowl of Kensington in a Boswell. Then a bowl of Maltese Falcon in a Boswell. As I'm working through my first tin of MF, I'm getting smoky Latakia and spice with a touch of citrus. It's good but not an immediate top favorite (that didn't stop me from ordering two MF coffee mugs) but it's growning on me. I'll pick up more of the subtle flavors as I get more familiar with it.
Sounds like you're getting the "feel" of this blend. I went ahead and ordered two tins the other day, so hopefully I'll be able to add something of interest once they've arrived and been broken into.

In honor of IPSD, I smoked several different blends.

I started the day with a little Butternut Burley in a MM Country Gentleman cob. It was as good as usual. After lunch I enjoyed a bowl of Boswell's Sweet Tea in a mini churchwarden I got from Boswell's. This was a nice smoke with some very evident citrus notes. It made a good companion for my reading. Before dinner I tried out the new GL Pease blend Maltese Falcon in a Don Carlos Two Note that is about the best smoker I've got. If the next few bowls are as good as this one was I will be ordering a lot more of this blend. Fantastic!

I finished the night off with a bowl of Penzance in a Peterson System #303. A perfect ending to a great day of pipe smoking.

(I had the place all to myself today. It was nice to have a little peace and quiet for a change. It's amazing how much noise kids actually make!)

My B&M Cigar Store owner gave me a pouch of Jamestowne Tradion Aromatic Mixture earlier this fall.

I have not found an Altidus brand I have liked much but this new line is getting better each time I have a bowl. Last bowl was in a 18" clay pipe I decided to use for it's purpose. Quite nice.

Altidus.... I must be slipping?

Boswells Old English for a while today. Until the pipe burned up. <g>

Status
Not open for further replies.