• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's in your pipe today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
dunhill royal yacht

It was a brand new tin, so I let it dry out on a sheet of paper for about 20 minutes. It's an interesting smoke. Almost a rasin-like smell to the tobacco itself. When I lit it up, it was very peppery and honestly, fairly intense. I enjoyed it, but still think I prefer others.

I've had bowls of Cairo and Stratford this AM in a Humbry Zulu.

Doc.

I need to start making myself wake up early enough to smoke a bowl in the morning. Sounds like a great start to the day.

Westminster in a very nice Danbark Bulldog. Heaven in a bowl!

I smoked two bowls yesterday. Two cigars, too!

Peretti Park Square. Some would call it English. Plenty of Latakia on a Burley base. Then I mixed some with the Johnny-O pipe tobacco. All I can say is WOW! :thumbs:

Steve

Smoking my first bowl of McClelland bulk # 2015 Virginia Flake right now. Wow...this is amazing stuff! Took a guess with packing it and decided to wing it. Seems to be working great! I love it! Smokes cool and dry...the sugars in the Virginia is very evident, very sweet smoke...creamy and with just enough bite from what I am assuming is the Perique. I am hooked. I will be dedicating my next pipe to Virginias. I'm smoking out of my meerschaum now.

I'll throw a full review on tomorrow. Back to enjoying this great new experience now!

-Adam

Edit...Full Review

So my experience with Bulk # 2015 Virginia Flake was one worth noting. I had been reading up on a lot of the Virginia/Perique tobaccos but was not quite sure if I was up to that level yet and or if I had the smokers palate to appreciate what these had to offer. I decided to purchase some of the bulk about a month ago from my local B&M and kept it stored away for a bit until I decided to try it. I figured it couldn't go bad with age so why not?

Last night I pulled out the bag and the trusty meerschaum and decided to wing it as far as packing flake tobacco into my pipe. I decided to take some of the unrubbed flakes and lay them on the bottom of the pipe. Then I rubbed some out and put them on top in order to help get it lit. Doing this kind of created a chamber under the rubbed out tobacco. I only packed enough for a half bowl. Upon the charring light, the taste was VERY strong, and I actually coughed a few times from a bit that escaped into my lungs. I was unsure at this point if I had jumped into this too quickly. The loose tobacco on top expanded and puffed up like I had never seen before. Perhaps it wasn't packed tight enough but it expanded quite a bit which made me glad I only packed the half bowl. I'll remember for next time to go a little below the rim if I am going to pack fully.

After I let the char mellow and cool, I lit the tobacco again (I'm only using matches, for what it's worth). This time the smoke was noticeably sweeter, but I still coughed a little and tried to mellow my puffing to light this. My mouth burned a bit but a sip or two of water and I was fine. I tamped a little to keep the tobacco at bay, and got it to where it was smoking comfortably.

Upon first impressions, the most obvious thing I noticed was the sweetness of this smoke. It reminded me of an English or Oriental in the smoothness and cool aspects but it was MUCH sweeter. The leaf had no trouble staying lit and smoked cool the entire time. I had it go out once on me but the re-light was no problem at all. After I mellowed it out again, it was back to the sweet cool smoke again. There was a slight spicy note mixed in which I assumed was the Perique, and it added just enough character to keep the sweet VA's from being overwhelming. The room note was not as bad as I expected it was going to be. Some said it was a nasty cigarette odor, but I noticed none of that. When my girlfriend came home (about 20 minutes after I finished the bowl) she said the smell was noticeable but not bad at all.

One other thing I noticed was that this burned rather quickly. Maybe 20 minutes or so, but for the size of the bowl I packed that may not have been unusual. The great thing about the flake tobacco is that there are so many ways I can experiment with smoking it, each experience could be different. I am stopping at my local B&M today and maybe buying them out of this stuff. Definitely a great tobacco to pick up and keep on hand, and definitely one to keep cellared.

I tried a pinch of Boswell's Best & Bear Blend mixed with a little of the HdM and smoked a bowl of that.

Pretty good! :thumbs:

I've seen guys on other boards that mix different blends like that. Some actually layer blends too, like a parfait.

Stopped at Carmac's in Noblesville IN on the way home last night and picked up some new Altadis blend called Wimbledon and it was a very nice English similar to Frog Morton on the Town, but a little sweeter and extremely enjoyable.

This was followed by a bowl of RL English I also picked up. About halfway through it all made sense as this was a nice blend but had a different taste I couldn't put my finger on. Finally it hit me. It was red licorice. (RL) Very nice once I figured it out. It was driving me crazy trying to figure it out. This is an interesting blend and I'll have to have more to make up my mind on it.

Andy

Edit for spelling: Wimbledon (I cannot find this tobacco anywhere on the web.)

Yesterday it was Boswell's Sweet Tea in a Big Ben Desert bent and Stoney's Blend in a Boswell freehand twist.

C&D Exhausted Rooster I received this in a bomb and it's quite a treat. Major pleasant odors when you pop the tin. It's a VaPer with Burley and I'm buying more to cellar!

Stevie likes!

Last night smoked a bowl of Boswell's Pennsylvania Dutch Treat in the new Boswell. It was really good, the pipe smokes so nice. I can still taste the cherry this morning. :)

had some butternut burley last night at stella's coffee shop. I got a few compliments on the room note from people around me.

You have a coffee shop near you that allows pipe smoking?

Lucky. :(

In certain aspects I love the smoking bans, in others, not so much.

Just smoked a bowl of Early Morning Pipe. It was very different. I really didn't know what to think of it. Not in a bad way just different, then again I am still very new at this.

Stopped by The Pipe and Pint today while in Greensboro, NC and picked up several new tins. Tonight I am smoking Brebbia - Latakia Flake #9 and it is really damn tasty. It seems similar to Penzance which is one of my favorites.

The Pipe and Pint is an awesome shop that has a great selection of pipes, tins, cigars and craft beer. My kinda place. :thumbs:

Just smoked a bowl of Early Morning Pipe. It was very different. I really didn't know what to think of it. Not in a bad way just different, then again I am still very new at this.

I've smoked about 2 tins of it and I still can't figure out what to think about it. The one tin is about 5 years old and it's pretty good, but still odd. Sometimes I take a puff and it's almost heavenly and a few minutes later it tastes (and smells) of dirty socks.

Red Rapparee and Presbyterian are much better Virginia/Oriental mixtures to my taste. Tastes do vary, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.