• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's in your pipe today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully, people will continue to turn to pipe smoking and we'll get a little more activity in here. As it is, the Pipe Room is definitely tertiary (or even quinary) territory around here. :blush:

I've been enjoying cigars as of late. But I hope to return to my pipes (still very newb in that department) again soon as we approach fall.

The pipe room here on CP has been incredibly important to me. I've read back to the first posts in this small corner of CP and have gotten quite a bit of great info/help/ideas.

:thumbs:

About to load up some Esoterica Tobacciana Pemboke in the Peterson.

I've been smoking a lot of old stuff that's no longer available lately. Blends from the 70's, '80s, and '90s. Mostly old Dunhill stuff and a little bit of old Ashton stuff thrown in. I was also able to get my hands on some old Pease blends. It's all been so sublime...
I've been smoking mostly stuff from the 90s but that's as far back as my budget takes me. I've been lucky picking up some old Orlik and McClelland either at or below MSRP. Three 100 gram tins of 90s Orlik for $40 on eBay. A buddy nabbed several tins of old McClelland from a shop out his way.

I really like the old Orlik, though. Of the newer blends, I've been smoking '08 Nording Fox Hound and C&D Exhausted Rooster. I have a tin of OR Pease Samarra that I think I'll crack at Christmas.

But I have still been smoking my pipes - just not nearly as frequently as during the colder months.

I just cracked my 8oz can of C&D Murphy's Mistake. I packed my Sav Mr.G, which has a deep bowl, perfect for this blend. This starts out with the Cavendish and Latakia dominating but it develops all kinds of flavors and odors as it gets to the second half. I wanted to wait for Christmas but this is actually a St. Patty's Day blend so ...

Fired up a bowl of Astleys #109 this morning before heading off to work.
The description reads: A medium strenght, naturally sweet, fully matured broken Virginia flake.

Im finding that I enjoy VA's quite a bit. My first real taste was MacBaren's Va #1.

By smoking these one can truly witness how much maturation can change up the smoke.

#1 has a light sugary sweet taste. Not overpowering mind you, quite subtle but I emphasize the "light" taste. The look of the leaf confirms this
#109 is a much more rich smoke, and with that comes a fuller sweetness, akin to a hint of sweet pecan or thick syrup. Likewise, the leaf is much darker.

Had a little Butternut Burley in a cob last night as I sat and waited for the skunk that's been tearing the crap out of my yard. One shot to the head and he didn't even spray.

I hope he was the only one...

I packed the Stanwell Danish Star with vintage #22 and settled on the back porch to watch the college students in their natural habitat. There's only three non-student houses left on our street now so we're deep in the beer cup jungle. While many are elegant in vivid plumage, as many are quite feral.

This afternoon I enjoyed some Orlik Golden Sliced in a Peterson 999 while watching my daughter play in her little pool and then had a bowl of Hal O' the Wynd in a Nachwalter dublin while walking the dogs.

Solani Aged Burley Flake in my new Long Stem Rhodesian...
Sounds good! I love burley.

Last night I got lost in a bowl of Escudo. It wasn't a really old vintage, either. A 2YO tin I opened and jarred 2 years ago. The extra 2 years(total of 4) really improved it. I have some 10YO Escudo and this was about that good.

I packed the Sav MrG and sat on the deck blissed out. :)

Broke out some 4 year old Penzance last night. This stuff is so GD good it's not even funny. I'm down to my last pound and resupplying has been a problem. I'm going to miss it when it's gone.

Broke out some 4 year old Penzance last night. This stuff is so GD good it's not even funny. I'm down to my last pound and resupplying has been a problem. I'm going to miss it when it's gone.
Funny thing, Alan. I completely lost my taste for Penzance. I have about 3 oz left from '08, too. I can barely stand latakia anymore. I still enjoy mild latakia blends to some degree but almost exclusively smoke VAs and VaPers and orientals. Go figure. ???

I cracked a tin of '07 Yenidje Supreme the other day that knocked my socks off. Packed the Stanwell and luxuriated in bliss. :rolleyes:

some black cavendish here....super new to pipe smoking! This is my first step outside of the "super value" bags :D

Funny thing, Alan. I completely lost my taste for Penzance. I have about 3 oz left from '08, too. I can barely stand latakia anymore. I still enjoy mild latakia blends to some degree but almost exclusively smoke VAs and VaPers and orientals. Go figure. ???

I cracked a tin of '07 Yenidje Supreme the other day that knocked my socks off. Packed the Stanwell and luxuriated in bliss. :rolleyes:

You're just growing up, young fella. What's happening to you, happens to all of us eventually. It's quite common to eschew latakia blends as you mature. Most older pipe smokes give it up. Don't know why, but it happens. I only smoke vapers and straight VA. now. Latakia blends taste like creosote to me. I find them very unappealing now.

Doc.

Status
Not open for further replies.