• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Whats living on your cigars?

Eqwhipped

Whiskey is the flower of my people.
I was doing some historical research on CP and reading a thread about plume, bloom etc. found here >>> Linky <<<. I read the additional data provided by FOH and That got me thinking, I have one partial box of CC's that has little tiny specs of.... who knows what now. So I decided to do some inspecting and the results where surprising.

Subject of study was the H. Upmann half corona SOR-NOV-19

1643036976610.png

To inspect closer I was using a Celestron hobby grade 40x to 600x microscope.
1643037105360.png

Here is the spot with best image captured from a phone camera.
1643037152227.png

I then removed the sample very carefully to place on a slide for the scope.
1643038076610.png

Here's the sample at 80x zoom.
1643037812102.png

Same image at different light settings
1643037827760.png

Higher contrast was used here to see the connective tissue of the mold.
1643037843208.png

300x zoom, unfortunately the images get progressively harder to capture as the zoom increases.
1643037858616.png

Here we are at about 400x zoom.
1643037939064.png

Finally at about 500x zoom the image is getting so degraded I could not zoom any further. Light is the most important factor when using a microscope and trying to balance enough and too much prove to be too difficult for the camera.
1643037969507.png
All of the images above when viewed with the naked eye were much more clear and provided more detail about the sample.
I have found this experiment to be very satisfying even if it yielded some rather unpleasant findings.
Whats growing in your humidor?

Steve F.

Last edited:
All good feedback! Samples for yourselves you say?
It may just be worth the risk, you all are so brave I salute you!

However I could not put you in danger, no I fear that I must consume them in the name of science and report back.

On a more serious note I have heard members mention the use of Nano Silver Colloidal wiping away the offending white stuff.

That’s pretty cool! What’s weird is that the white stuff appears crystalline in the photos. Is it Pold or Mlume?
I thought the same thing about how shiny it was. But if careful examination is given one would notice all of the ends of the extending bits are round not pointy. Crystalline structure typically ends in a point I believe.

All good feedback! Samples for yourselves you say?
It may just be worth the risk, you all are so brave I salute you!

However I could not put you in danger, no I fear that I must consume them in the name of science and report back.

On a more serious note I have heard members mention the use of Nano Silver Colloidal wiping away the offending white stuff.
Nanosilver is amazing stuff when it comes to mold prevention on cigars.

Man, I'd wipe that little spot off and smoke that thing.
Truth. I'd be very likely to GENTLY wipe the mold off with the DI / colloidal silver mix and a clean, soft cloth...and let the sticks dry out in an ambient environment for a couple days.. and call it good. Small spots on the wrapper are one thing, but mold on the foot earns the stick a trip to the trash. One mans opinion....

Truth. I'd be very likely to GENTLY wipe the mold off with the DI / colloidal silver mix and a clean, soft cloth...and let the sticks dry out in an ambient environment for a couple days.. and call it good. Small spots on the wrapper are one thing, but mold on the foot earns the stick a trip to the trash. One mans opinion....
This is truth.

Seems legit, it may be the approach to take.

Thanks.

Exactly what I would do.