• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

We have a Mennonite Community fairly close. They do some magical things with Venison. Dang, now I want their Venison Summer Sausage. It's epic.
Venison in the Summer? That's illegal where I come from.

Doc

We have a Mennonite Community fairly close. They do some magical things with Venison. Dang, now I want their Venison Summer Sausage. It's epic.

Oddly, I had a cigar with a friend of mine last Thursday and he gave me a bunch of venison sausage, bacon, bologna and ground venison. I'm looking forward to it all. If you were closer I would share for sure.

IMG_0548.JPG IMG_3392.JPG

Good lord. That's the greatest friend I've ever heard of.

Indeed, but since he knows I don't hunt deer but like to eat it, he is very generous in sharing. I once took a photo of the venison (5 years ago and I keep it on my phone) he contributed to a dinner we had, and it may be the best meat I've ever consumed. He hunts at his farm about 30 minutes from town and has a cooler where he ages the meat and then takes it to the processor. Very tasty indeed.

View attachment 16059 View attachment 16058

Indeed, but since he knows I don't hunt deer but like to eat it, he is very generous in sharing. I once took a photo of the venison (5 years ago and I keep it on my phone) he contributed to a dinner we had, and it may be the best meat I've ever consumed. He hunts at his farm about 30 minutes from town and has a cooler where he ages the meat and then takes it to the processor. Very tasty indeed.
I have a son-in-law I like to call Deerslayer. He get's three a year. He's obsessed. He prepares for the season in the Spring for the November hunt. He also doesn't like venison.:)

Doc

Made a small batch of Meatballs and sauce. Trying a new, promising, Romano from Murray's because everybody local replaced Locatelli with mediocre to really bad cheap garbage "Romano". Been in the sauce for about an hour. I keep them simmering until the flavor morphs. Usually 3 or more hours.

eta: Well, new Romano worked real well. Difference in flavor, but held up great to cooking. Me and the boy polished off 16 Meatballs.

Last edited:
This time I took a picture. :D

17800397_10212417230095655_3315345143719939256_n.jpg

~Boar

I've been eating that stuff since I was a kid. Never new it had a name.
I didn't know the name until much later in life. Hell, there's a lot of family dishes I fix that I've either finally learned the name, or still don't know the name.
We typically called it something based on the ingredient names. Frittata was whatever the ingredients were. For instance, "Potatoes and Eggs (with onion)", "Peppers and eggs" (again, with onion) etc.

Boar's seeming proclivity for Frittata reminded me, we ate tons of it as kids. Lunches, at the beach, trips, etc. We'd take a drive to Atlantic City from NYC and out from my mom's purse would come the foil wrapped wedges of frittata. Hell, you could tell the route I took to school by the olive oil trail.