• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's the best humidor...

vewyphishy

The Original Smoking Fish
I have about 200 cigars, mostly singles... most of which don't have more than 2, sometimes 5. They're of all sizes and shapes. I'm having a tough time keeping it organized in my existing humidors. They're your run-of-the-mill 150ct and 75ct.

What's the ideal humidor for this many singles? A drawer-type? Maybe one with a bunch of removable cedar trays for easy access? <-- that would be cool.

I still say a coolerdor with beads and lots of ceder cigar boxes to organize your singles!!!

For whats its worth.. I was faced with a similar problem. I had piles of singles sitting in my coolerdor. I bought some cedar trays from bargainhumidors (Thanks Bobby for the pointer!) and now I have a stack of trays on one side of the cooler and a stack of boxes on the other side. This doesn't particularly organize things to the point were I could go grab the precise single I wanted, but it certainly keeps things neater. At some point I'll sort the singles and come up with some rudimentary filing system (put all the Fuentes together.. all the padrons together.. something like that).

coventrycat86 said:
I still say a coolerdor with beads and lots of ceder cigar boxes to organize your singles!!!
:thumbs: That's what I do.
Plus my cigars have burned much more evenly since the boxes also keep the RH from fluctuating wildly for everything else that I'm not looking at.

I still wonder how well those maintain RH though

Good point Dixie, I wonder the same thing. I would imagine the seal around the door could be a problem.

I actually have the same problem as Vewyphishy. I have a cooler but I'm looking for something nicer that the wife won't mind.

Organization? Bah!

The hunt is half the fun. Seriously, I think the cedar trays in coolidor idea is good. Or, you can buy a ton of the slide-in dividers for a nicer humi and do it that way. Could get expensive though :(

IMHO the problem may be longer term since I'm not sure how long you can maintain a level of 200. I started with the humidors, then got to 5 humidors, a drawer at the club and box at the cigar store. Then they were spread out all over the place and I had to consolidate in one big plastic bin humidor. So, perhaps it would be worthwhile considering something that would hold about twice what you have now, unless you have a firm, not to exceed, limit of 200 policed by some organization stronger than your inner self (wife comes to mind). I tried very unsuccessfully to maintain a reasonable arsenal, but couldn't until I had such help. :D

I am going to add a vote for PB's idea; his Humi would be the best place to store 'em.
( I'm hoping he will share 'em with his fellow N. Texans)

I have ~500 cigars in my 48 qt Igloo Ice Cube coolidor; and 80% of them are from 5ers and samplers. I think PB has found me a source for some boxes. Right now a lot of them are in plastic trays until I get the boxes. I suspect once I have the boxes there it will be full; currently there is a bit of space which I suspect moving them into boxes will use up.

Even though my Hygro has been averaging in the high 60s adding new cigars has wet the other cigars when I have added them. I am hoping the extra boxes will (besides helping w/organization) help absorb extra humidity. I have also decided to stop screwing around w/wet foam and order some of Vern's beans here soon.

Sorry to threadjack, but for 48 qts and 300-500 cigars should I get 1/2 or a full pound of the beads?

Thanks,
Matt

1/2 lb. will be more then plenty but you may want to get a lb. anyway. Always nice to have some available. Make sure to get the 65% :thumbs:

lucasbuck said:
1/2 lb. will be more then plenty but you may want to get a lb. anyway. Always nice to have some available. Make sure to get the 65% :thumbs:
Good advice
Since joining CP I have maxed out on storage. :D
Always better to have extra room ;)

Bill

coventrycat86 said:
I'm definitley with CC on this one.
Good-sized cooler, afew cigar boxes some beadage and your ready to rock-n-roll.