• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Whats with Ebay ?

bully1875

I was looking on Ebay today and I keep seeing factory sealed bands. Now without looking into it, Im assuming ebay will not allow the sale of cigars due to not being able to verify age. But, I dont understand why everyone is referring to bands and the prices range so much. Has anyone ever purchased from Ebay? Are they reliable?

Seems a bit seedy.

you are pretty much right. ebay dose not allow cigar sales, but if you are just buying the "bands" it a "collectable". if the bands havent been removed, say to prevent tearing, thats ok. (to them anyway). as far as buying on ebay, i wouldnt, but thats up to you. also don't pay with pay pal, they will freeze your account.

The entire assumption of quality is based on knowing the vendor. This goes for any cigar, but especially ISOMs. Those sellers on eBay are, without exception that I know of, gougers and cheats. There is no guarantee that the cigars will be smokable, or frankly, even inside the "bands". eBay should be ashamed for letting this go on. You should NEVER buy cigars (um, bands or boxes) on eBay or Yahoo.

Are you trying to tell me that bands that have not been removed (meaning cigars with bands) are ok to sell on Ebay?

I was looking on Ebay today and I keep seeing factory sealed bands. Now without looking into it, Im assuming ebay will not allow the sale of cigars due to not being able to verify age. But, I dont understand why everyone is referring to bands and the prices range so much. Has anyone ever purchased from Ebay? Are they reliable?

Seems a bit seedy.

Capitalism finds loopholes — this a great example.

Contact the sellers, get a written guarantee of some sort, but if you are extremely careful, it shouldn't be too risky.

-Jess.

Also, they have to be considered collectable. Not readily available to the public. Opus-yeah, Phillies-neah.

bully,

yes. the only way you are allowed to sell certain items (like cigars) on ebay is if the value is in the collectible value of the packaging (the band) and the packaging's value would be destroyed by removing the product. A real example of this would be a sealed can of beer from the 50's. The beer has no value, the beer is in the collectible can, but if you poured out the beer the can would be worth less. Cigar sellers use stipulations like these to sell tobacco.

bully,

yes. the only way you are allowed to sell certain items (like cigars) on ebay is if the value is in the collectible value of the packaging (the band) and the packaging's value would be destroyed by removing the product. A real example of this would be a sealed can of beer from the 50's. The beer has no value, the beer is in the collectible can, but if you poured out the beer the can would be worth less. Cigar sellers use stipulations like these to sell tobacco.

Now, are you SURE that no FOGs here would be interested in the beer portion of the can?

:laugh:

-Jess.

After seeing what some of these go for on Ebay I need to start listing some of my Opus X 'bands'! :laugh:

I'd never buy them off ebay, as there's no recourse for getting something that is either a badly humidified cigar, or a crap cigar with the advertised band on it. It is their little loophole, but it's still very sketchy.

When Yahoo still had US auctions I got a 200-pack of cigars for $160. It took about 5 installments and me pestering him for months to get all my cigars. Some turned out to be some great cigars, but some turned out to be Quorums. :laugh: I think I'll stick with trading posts and vendors from now on.