• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's Your Latest Purchase? 2016

They can legally acquire them via auctions or from other retailers who may have stock.
I'm painfully aware of auctions, thank you.

Now, if you have ever been to the shop and seen the cigars, let alone smoked one, you would have doubts. There is the chance that they are real, but let's be honest, how many of us have boxes partial or full, of those types of cigars to be able to compare them to. Though it has been a year or two years since I have been in the store, the last time I was the number of different "pre-embargo cigars" they had would have accounted for more than are sold at action each year. When you consider price point, storage ( i.e. I've seen him restock from a ziplock bag with a written note inside saying what they are etc.) it brings enough doubt for me to not spend my money there. When I first started smoking I bought some accessories from him including a leather 3 finger cigar case, he was kind enough to put 2 pre-embargo cigars in there as a gift for me, and I have bought them in the past out of curiosity so yes I have actually smoked what he sells. So even if you include auctions it appears the shop has better access than some prominent U.K. Vendors to these specific cigars.

That is not to say they are not authentic as I have only ever had 3 or 4 full boxes and a handful of singles of pre-embargo cigars in my lifetime with none currently in the collection. I am not an authority on them; however, I as well as others more informed than myself have reservations.

Your saying the cello is dyed and the cigar bands aren't yellow? ;)

I get that it looks suspicious. But apparently Churchill's bar at the Brown Palace in Denver also has a selection of pre-embargo smokes. Never seen 'em so wouldn't know what to look for.

They can legally acquire them via auctions or from other retailers who may have stock.

We know they can be purchased in those ways or in any fashion for that matter, so what are you saying, they purchased some recently?

Your saying the cello is dyed and the cigar bands aren't yellow? ;)

I get that it looks suspicious. But apparently Churchill's bar at the Brown Palace in Denver also has a selection of pre-embargo smokes. Never seen 'em so wouldn't know what to look for.

Pre Embargo CC's were shipped in cellophane?

Yeah, I'm saying they can likely replenish stock.
Gotcha, but you're not saying you have any knowledge that they have in fact replenished. BTW, what does everyone think the looser rules for bringing Cuban cigar into the country is going to do to the price of the pre-embargo stuff? I think the prices of the cigars from the 50's and early 60's will likely decline cause those smokes will no longer be a legal novelty and likely past their prime.

Last edited:
Gotcha, but you're not saying you have any knowledge that they have in fact replenished. BTW, what does everyone think the looser rules for bring Cuban cigar into the country is going to do to the price of the pre-embargo stuff? I think the prices of the cigars from the 50's and early 60's will likely decline cause those smokes will no longer be a legal novelty and likely past their prime.
I have no clue, but a great question.

I know some were, but not sure to what extent. Never really looked into it.

There were post embargo Cuban Cigars shipped in cello as well, but as I recall they were mostly, if not all, machine made. I have a few from the 90's still in the humidor.

There is still an impressive amount of pre embargo cigars for sale out of the UK, Switzerland and Hong Kong, that supply these establishments and individuals. The best ones rarely see an auction. There are handmade post embargo cigars with cellophane from Cohiba, H. Upmann, Montecristo, Partagas, RyJ, Punch and ERDM. I believe prices will continue to rise on the pre embargo cigars.

There is still an impressive amount of pre embargo cigars for sale out of the UK, Switzerland and Hong Kong, that supply these establishments and individuals. The best ones rarely see an auction. There are handmade post embargo cigars with cellophane from Cohiba, H. Upmann, Montecristo, Partagas, RyJ, Punch and ERDM. I believe prices will continue to rise on the pre embargo cigars.

Thanks for the input. I suppose old cigars are still going to increase in value embargo or not. Good point.

Once Cuban cigars come into the country the amount of new customers will increase. A small percentage of those will be interested in buying aged cigars, putting more of a demand on existing stock. Unfortunately that will raise the prices on pre embargo, vintage and regular production.

Buy now and buy often. :)

Stopped in at JRs in NC, and bought a boatload of singles of cigars I wanted to try out. Plus they give 10% off to the military.