• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

When did I become such a cheap and unsociable ---?

badhangover

This is a reprint of a thread I posted a month ago on my "home" cigar board. I am sharing this here because I had the good fortune of duplicating my experience yesterday. The exceptions to this post, left intact, are the cigars smoked and music listened to. Yesterday, I smoked a 2006 Trinidad Torre Iznaga Book cigar and a 2001 Cohiba Exquisito cigar. My music was a medley of Cuban fare. The book, alas, was the same. I rarely get the opportunity to sit down and read.

Folks, let's not shortchange ourselves here. Forget about cA and all their incessant articles of Ferraris and $50,000 watches. We are fortunate to experience "The Good Life" in our appreciation of fine cigars in the company of good friends or blissful solitude. That's what I'm talkin' about...

------

"I don't know about you, but I could never drink alone at home until about a couple of years ago. Not even a sip of beer. I always needed company, or at least the general ambience of a bar to be able to enjoy a drink. Hence, up until recently, I never kept any beer or spirits at home.

The same pretty much went for my cigar smoking as well, although I did keep cigars at home.

Now that I am getting older, and my tastes are evolving from the standard fare, I am finding myself with less and less venues to enjoy a drink and cigar. This being California (whose laws are gradually becoming emulated nationwide), the only smoking I can do indoors is generally at neighborhood "dive bars" that turn a blind eye to smoking. However, with a dive bar, I just can't get myself to enjoy the ubiquitous Busch and Miller beer products. Yes, I can drink them, but I just don't enjoy them very much.

There are nicer places with nicer selections, to be certain. However, that means I will be relegated to their patios to enjoy a cigar. Banished to an outside "time out zone" that is seemingly an afterthought to the establishment's design. Patios generally don't have the music, television screens and comfortable furniture of an establishment's interior decor. I find myself rushing through my cigar on some torture inspired patio chair to get back inside to the "ambience" I went out to enjoy in the first place. Otherwise, I begin to think to myself: "If I'm gonna be smoking outdoors, why don't I just go home and do it?"

Cigar bars, forget it. No cigar shops near me serve alcohol, save one. That one is a club atmoshpere complete with DJ's and standing room only cigarette smoking.

So, I find myself more and more sitting outside in my very own patio. Drinking my own ale or Scotch. Listening to my own music. More often than not, stuffing my nose into a good book.

Yesterday I plopped myself onto my patio and lit up a Partagas Corona and a Cohiba Robusto. Poured myself a Caol Ila 18 with some water on the side. Played my iPod on its "boom box" speakers and listened to the Benny Goodman Orchestra and Mana. Read a few chapters of a book on the Roman Third Gallica Legion. In short, life was good.

I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad sign that I can drink alone at home now, but I sure enjoyed myself yesterday. Saved myself a few bucks, saved myself from driving (although I didn't imbibe enough for that to be a concern), and had everything exactly the way I liked it.

It was a nice afternoon."

Great post. Sometimes, I don't really mind sitting at home smoking and enjoying the time. My only problem is, renting an apartment, it's a littler tougher to find that space at "home."

drink alone, yeah
With nobody else
I drink alone, yeah
With nobody else
You know when I drink alone
I prefer to be by myself

Every morning just before breakfast
I don't want no coffee or tea
Just me and good buddy Wiser
That's all I ever need
'Cause I drink alone, yeah
With nobody else
Yeah, you know when I drink alone
I prefer to be by myself

The other night I laid sleeping
And I woke from a terrible dream
So I caught up my pal Jack Daniel's
And his partner Jimmy Beam
And we drank alone, yeah
With nobody else

I prefer to be by myself

The other day I got invited to a party
But I stayed home instead
Just me and my pal Johnny Walker
And his brothers Black and Red
And we drank alone, yeah
With nobody else
I prefer to be by myself

My whole family done give up on me
And it makes me feel oh so bad
The only one who will hang out with me
Is my dear Old Grand-Dad
And we drink alone, yeah
With nobody else
I prefer to be by myself

GEORGE THOROGOOD
Doc.

I relate a lot to what you're saying. I enjoy a cigar and a drink in the presence of company, but these days, those conditions aren't always available, and I am now looking forward to my "alone time" on the patio, with a cigar and drink in hand, playing a little Texas Hold'em on my cell phone, and enjoying this "time out" from life, so to speak.

I'm almost always alone when smoking a cigar. Sometimes my Golden Retriever joins me on the deck, but 9 times out of 10 I'm alone with nature.

I've found the last couple of years that I don't really need to be around a bunch of people to be happy. I guess I'm slowly turning into a hermit. :laugh:

The only time I can "really" enjoy a cigar is when I am alone. I like smoking with friends, but there is nothing like sitting out back listening to blues or jazz with a drink all by myself.

Top, 'cause I just replicated this yet again. Only better now. I just set up my new outdoor patio furniture yesterday. Deep, comfy cushioned seating and ottomans. Table, et al. Pure bliss.

I think I shall become a hermit now. I now have a more comfortable cigar smoking environment at home, with personal choice of music, beverages, and other accoutrements taken into consideration, than any commercial establishment I can think of. Less driving and expense required as well.

Yup,

For me, it's the porch, a drink, a smoke, and a book.

Of course it's not about cheapness or solitude, per se. It's about the living, smoking zen of all that is essential, and nothing that is not.

Wilkey

Yup,

Of course it's not about cheapness or solitude, per se. It's about the living, smoking zen of all that is essential, and nothing that is not.

Wilkey

...plus skipping in public carries its own social price... :)

Social price? Or social opportunity? ;)

Let's just say you don't see too many chubbies race-skipping down the malecon.

On a serious note, skipping is a highly efficient mode of locomotion. Much more fluid and less jarring than running. Easier to get a burn in the quads and calves. In fact, I think it ought to be designated an Olympic demonstration sport.

Wilkey

Yup,

Wilkey

...plus skipping in public carries its own social price... :)

I could have predicted the post before I even clicked on it. :laugh:

Some of my best cigar moments were spent in solitude as well as with friends.
With job pressures, young children, and being a supportive husband. It's nice to get away from everything and everyone to have a few moments alone to reflect. I live for those moments when I am having a drink and a cigar alone. The thoughts that usually follow are some of the clearest, most intuitive I ever have. Some of the best decisions I have ever made were done while enjoying this solitude.
This is also what I enjoy about hunting and sitting in a treestand. Some people have pre conceived notions about all hunters being good ol boys sitting around drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon waiting for the dogs to run the deer right at them.
With myself (and other hunters), it's more about getting away in the woods to reflect and relax for a few hours. There is nothing like being able to sit alone and watch nature, feeling yourself unwind after a tough week ,or few months.

The only time I can "really" enjoy a cigar is when I am alone. I like smoking with friends, but there is nothing like sitting out back listening to blues or jazz with a drink all by myself.
....absolutely. For me, a cigar is time to relax, reflect, and enjoy a selfish hour or so to be by myself and unwind a bit.

Now, having said that, I wouldn't be so quick to write off "neighborhood dive bars". Some of the best cheeseburgers I've had in my life came from "dive bars" and every now and then, a pitcher of ice cold Coors Light or Miller Light really hits the spot. Even if it isn't in the "fine dining" category, there's something to be said for the local venues. Some dandy's here, very close to home .... :cool:

Regards - B.B.S.

I perfer to smoke alone, though often my wife sits with me and that is not bad at all. When alone, there are few distractions which allow me to relax and enjoy my moments.

Great subject.

Ken

This is exactly my idea of a great evening. I don't really enjoy the bars that much, and there really isn't anywhere else to smoke excluding patios. My family gives me a hard time for it, because they think I'm too young to be looking forward to a great bourbon and a great cigar on the patio with an old book, but I just can't think of many better ways to relax. I guess that is a little unusual for a 22 year old, but I don't even care at this point.

I think I'm going to start listening to music instead of reading though. It's hard to concentrate on the reading between sipping my drink and smoking my cigar. I've been trying to read old classics, and the language barrier is hard enough if I can give it my fullest attention, but trying to do other things is just too much. Smoking outdoors here is a challenge because of the wind and humidity. You have to keep an eye on the burn constantly to keep it corrected and lit.

Between working full time, going to school full time at night, trying to be a good husband, take care of myself, and see my family every now and then, a relaxing evening on the porch with my cigar is the picture of a perfect evening for me. Every now and then my brother comes up here to visit, and we smoke one together. That to me is still enjoyable and relaxing, but when we tried to go to a bar to smoke it just wasn't the same.

D

This is exactly my idea of a great evening. I don't really enjoy the bars that much, and there really isn't anywhere else to smoke excluding patios. My family gives me a hard time for it, because they think I'm too young to be looking forward to a great bourbon and a great cigar on the patio with an old book, but I just can't think of many better ways to relax. I guess that is a little unusual for a 22 year old, but I don't even care at this point.
I think I'm going to start listening to music instead of reading though. It's hard to concentrate on the reading between sipping my drink and smoking my cigar. I've been trying to read old classics, and the language barrier is hard enough if I can give it my fullest attention, but trying to do other things is just too much. Smoking outdoors here is a challenge because of the wind and humidity. You have to keep an eye on the burn constantly to keep it corrected and lit.

Between working full time, going to school full time at night, trying to be a good husband, take care of myself, and see my family every now and then, a relaxing evening on the porch with my cigar is the picture of a perfect evening for me. Every now and then my brother comes up here to visit, and we smoke one together. That to me is still enjoyable and relaxing, but when we tried to go to a bar to smoke it just wasn't the same.

D
Bye the Jeezus, there's hope for you young fellas after all.

Doc.

This is a reprint of a thread I posted a month ago on my "home" cigar board. I am sharing this here because I had the good fortune of duplicating my experience yesterday. The exceptions to this post, left intact, are the cigars smoked and music listened to. Yesterday, I smoked a 2006 Trinidad Torre Iznaga Book cigar and a 2001 Cohiba Exquisito cigar. My music was a medley of Cuban fare. The book, alas, was the same. I rarely get the opportunity to sit down and read.

Folks, let's not shortchange ourselves here. Forget about cA and all their incessant articles of Ferraris and $50,000 watches. We are fortunate to experience "The Good Life" in our appreciation of fine cigars in the company of good friends or blissful solitude. That's what I'm talkin' about...

------

"I don't know about you, but I could never drink alone at home until about a couple of years ago. Not even a sip of beer. I always needed company, or at least the general ambience of a bar to be able to enjoy a drink. Hence, up until recently, I never kept any beer or spirits at home.

The same pretty much went for my cigar smoking as well, although I did keep cigars at home.

Now that I am getting older, and my tastes are evolving from the standard fare, I am finding myself with less and less venues to enjoy a drink and cigar. This being California (whose laws are gradually becoming emulated nationwide), the only smoking I can do indoors is generally at neighborhood "dive bars" that turn a blind eye to smoking. However, with a dive bar, I just can't get myself to enjoy the ubiquitous Busch and Miller beer products. Yes, I can drink them, but I just don't enjoy them very much.

There are nicer places with nicer selections, to be certain. However, that means I will be relegated to their patios to enjoy a cigar. Banished to an outside "time out zone" that is seemingly an afterthought to the establishment's design. Patios generally don't have the music, television screens and comfortable furniture of an establishment's interior decor. I find myself rushing through my cigar on some torture inspired patio chair to get back inside to the "ambience" I went out to enjoy in the first place. Otherwise, I begin to think to myself: "If I'm gonna be smoking outdoors, why don't I just go home and do it?"

Cigar bars, forget it. No cigar shops near me serve alcohol, save one. That one is a club atmoshpere complete with DJ's and standing room only cigarette smoking.

So, I find myself more and more sitting outside in my very own patio. Drinking my own ale or Scotch. Listening to my own music. More often than not, stuffing my nose into a good book.

Yesterday I plopped myself onto my patio and lit up a Partagas Corona and a Cohiba Robusto. Poured myself a Caol Ila 18 with some water on the side. Played my iPod on its "boom box" speakers and listened to the Benny Goodman Orchestra and Mana. Read a few chapters of a book on the Roman Third Gallica Legion. In short, life was good.

I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad sign that I can drink alone at home now, but I sure enjoyed myself yesterday. Saved myself a few bucks, saved myself from driving (although I didn't imbibe enough for that to be a concern), and had everything exactly the way I liked it.

It was a nice afternoon."
Instead of going out to a bar, you could try having some friends over for a card game at your place-your rules right. course you wouldn't want to smoke out your guests if they're not into that, but then again, you could always offer them one of your fine cigars.