• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

When did "lose" become "loose"?

badhangover

I skim through a few different hobby forums and other reader participant content sites on a somewhat regular basis. For about the past year now, I've more and more noticed the usage of "loose" in place of "lose" when "lose" is clearly the appropriate word and spelling. I see it often enough now that I think it is intentional and not some coincidence of haste caused error. I don't mean intentional in the sense that people are rebelling en masse against Messieurs Merriam and Webster. I mean I really think many people think "lose" comes with two o's now.

Is this a Queen's English kinda thing, like honour and colour? From some other source? Are school teachers playing a funny on society by tossing in some random joke spelling into popular American idiom? Anyone else notice this?

Yeah, I know; not cigar related. And not a biggie either. It's just something that's been catching my attention and causing me to wonder why. Back on track; I had a Diplomatico #2 yesterday and a reeeaallllly nice Feb 99 Bolivar Corona Extra with one dark and oily Corojo wrapper. Dunno yet what's on the lineup for today. Likely will depend on the weather.

I haven't noticed it cropping up any more than it ever has. I do believe it is one of those words that a lot of people struggle with, and if they don't sit down and think about which one to go with they probably just default to loose. From how many time I have seen it messed up I assume it is just like a their, there, they're or an effect, affect kind of thing.

However, some of us need to hold out and keep using lose, making us the new rebels. If we don't, we will the only ones that really loose! :sign:

I've definitely rushed my way through many errors with they're/their/there, its/it's, et al. I never considered "lose" and "loose" in that same category, but we each have our own struggles with the proper usage of our own everyday language. FireFox is nice at prodding me to correct many of my spelling errors. I cringe to think of the red 'ink' that would display if it started grammar checking my drivel as well.

And I'm with you on the holding out. I've never understood "lite" in lieu of "light" and refuse to go down that road either. I don't drink Miller Lite, so there's no cause for me to use that one.

No, wait, I take it back. For $5 a pitcher, or on another person's dime, I'm all over Miller Lite :thumbs:. Absent of those two exceptions, I gots my principles :whistling:.

In addition to "loose" for "lose" the use of "sale" for "sell" makes me grit my teeth constantly online . . . you either have something for sale, or you have something you want to sell. You do NOT "want to sale some cigars!"

As an English teacher, I can assure you we're not playing tricks on the English language. We've just been unable to stem the tide of stupid. :rolleyes:

On the plus side, literacy USED to mean being able to sign your name. We've come pretty far since then.

~Boar

Kinda like chose and choose.

Or like Tomato and Tomato....................Shit! It sounded good in my head! :sign:

On a serious note.... Palate and Pallet is a misuse that always catches my attention for some reason.

For a long while, I was quite worried about the use of who/whom.

I decided to spend my time thinking about more important things...

-Mark

The one that really burns me, for some reason, is the popular use of "prolly" instead of probably. Yeah, typing those two extra letters really sucks......
whistling.gif

The one that really burns me, for some reason, is the popular use of "prolly" instead of probably. Yeah, typing those two extra letters really sucks......
whistling.gif

I agree with you.. that is why I use proly instead of prolly. It saves me an extra letter.

Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do. :laugh:

I think it happened about the time that "too" became "to" and "you're became "your." Lots of sloppy spelling/usage out there. It would break the heart of dear departed Mrs. Berger, my 8th grade grammar teacher. My rule for it is this: the proportion of inaccurate spelling and usage grows in direct proportion to the number of people who communicate by typing. :)

I think it is a word that people struggle with, but stuff like this needs to be reinforced in kids during elementary school. Unfortunately, our educational system in the U.S. could do with some improving.

They're seems to be an overwhelming amount of misuse of the word "there". Their, how's that than? :D