• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

When trying a new cigar...

TampaSupremo

Hellbent for Glory-land
Was reading an article in CA that outlined the favorite size cigars of various manufacturers. IIRC, the overwhelmingly favored size was the robusto, especially when trying new blends. Anyway, it got me to thinking: when you try a cigar for the first time do you have a "tester" size that you prefer to use when trying new smokes? I don't, BTW (in case you were just dying to know).

TampaSupremo

If a new line comes out....like the Winstons or the San Cristobal....I tend to smoke the middle of the road stick first - regarding price point!

I wonder if they took that into consideration. ;)

I usually go with the robusto when trying something new. I prefer the robusto for the amount of time needed to smoke one, and also because they are usually on the lower end of the price point. After I try it, if I like it, I will try out some of the other vitolas to see how the tastes differ.

Always Robusto, and classic sized Corona Gorda. For the reasons given in the CA article, and because those are the sizes I like to smoke most frequently. If those are good, I typically try a churchill size, as I love a churchill in the summer, out on the yard, relaxing.

Something on the smaller size. Coronas or coronas gordas size, or more commonly the robusto. First, I wouldn't want to spend more than I need to to experience the flavor and if it stinks, then I feel less bad about pitching it having only smoked a portion of it.

Nowadays though, it's getting harder and harder to find smaller sizes, at least in NCs. I see lots of robustos, toros, and they just get bigger from there.

Wilkey

If its blended by Don Pepin, I'll try a corona but otherwise its a robusto. I find that, for whatever reason, I really like the corona sizes in Tat's and Cab's. I don't know of a corona size in his DPG line so it becomes a robusto or something close to a 50 ring guage.

Looks like we're all on about the same page here. I'm a robusto/corona/corona gorda/petite corona kinda guy myself. Those are my preferred sizes anyway, so when trying a new line that's what I'll grab. Since robusto seems to be the most common size, that's what I usually try.

I'll usually get a churchill. I always try to go into a new smoke open minded but I'm also afraid of getting a dud. Sometimes if it's a big $$ item I'll start of with a small smoke just to get an idea of what I might be able to expect. If I like what I taste I'll go back and pickup a churchill.

Ninety percent of the time I'll go with the robusto, but sometimes if a robusto sized belicoso is made (like an Oliva Serie G) I'll go with that.

Barry

Love robustos. Great price point and just the right ratio of wrapper to the rest imo. I do love other sizes in general but I'll always prefer the robusto or maybe corona especially when trying a new smoke.

Always a lancero if they offer that , if not a Robusto/Corona Gorda.

Corona or Corona Gorda and if it's a new manufacturer, a lancero. You can tell a lot about the quality of their cigars by how well they roll a lancero.

Robusto mostly, but mostly i like to try a couple of differnt sizes of the same stick, just to see if i can taste the differances in the sizes.

I suppose I should add that if I like the robusto, I will try a belicoso if they have one available, as that is my favorite "price is no object" vitola. However, unless the cigars are quite good, I often don't want to spend the extra money to get the beli.

I like smaller ring gauges, so I'll usually go towards that. Robusto would be as large as I'd go for a new smoke. Who'd want a churchill just to find out it tastes like crap? :)

See, I was thinking it depends on what you are looking for in the smoke (more/less wrapper:filler ratio). Looking back, I have to say that I buy a lot of toro sized smokes unless a different size is recommended by the tobacconist Al, (who am I kidding here?) It makes sense that for a balanced smoke, the robusto is an ideal size.

TampaSupremo

As most others have said, Robusto.

I guess the Robusto is middle of the road, a good starting point IMO.

Brian