• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

"When we have kids, would you stop smoking cigars?"

I started with my first 17 years ago. Now have 5 and going strong. I find the cigars calm me down when the children are driving me crazy.

Kids are just kids but a cigar is a smoke. ;)

Seriously, you have a problem. Wish you the best of luck with the un-brainwashing project.:thumbs:

ironpeddler (Gary) said it best.

I have four daughters, 26, 21, 18, and 16. The older two buy me cigars for father's day, birthdays, etc. The youngest likes hanging out with me outside while I smoke. The 18 year old, who doesn't eat meat because it hurts animals, does not like the smell. I respect her wishes and avoid smoking around her.

As for the wife, it's important to understand that occasionalonal concessions need to be made to keep a partner happy. That said, there were multiple vices that I was upfront about when we met, and she entered the relationship aware of them. Besides, she would think I was a pussy if I caved in on habits I enjoy.

[font="arial][size="2"]
My Daughter once told me that when she was little and we would spend a day or Holiday with friends and family, she would climb into my lap at the end of the day to get ready for bed and give me that big hug and some cuddle time. She said that one of the most notable things she remembers is that I smelled like cigar smoke from all the cigars being smoked around her and it reminder her of all the fun they had that day and that she was home, safe and sound....but more than anything, it reminded her of ME. Now that she is a young adult, she says that when she's out with friends and she smells someone smoking a cigar, she gets rushes of family and fun times from her youth! Pretty powerful stuff, right?
This story made me smile! Some of the fondest memories I have of my dad include the way he smelled after he smoked his cigars. To this day, cigars are one of the things I associate with family. I started smoking cigars after I had my son. I don't smoke around him. I admit, I can be a health nut, too...but there's no way I'd quit smoking my cigars. [/size][/font]

My parents taught me the importance of leading a healthy lifestyle, and I never had a desire to smoke anything until after my dad introduced me to cigars. In addition to smoking cigars, my dad was a 3 (!) pack a day smoker. My mom was a 2 pack a day smoker. They both smoked in the house. I'm still alive.

Priorities definitely change and it's warranted. I smoke less due to the time spent with the kids, but when I do find time to enjoy a cigar, it's much more enjoyable/memorable now then it was years ago.

As today is the big day congratulations to both of you.

As for the question, I think part if it is also an indirect way of her asking you to quit without doing so, more like a guilty conscience kind of thing. I think many if not most non smoking wives/girlfriends would prefer us to quit but are conflicted as they accept it is something we enjoy doing.

Congrats - Hopefully you will get a chance to have a nice cigar with some of the attendees.

I do not smoke anywhere that my kids can come in contact with the smoke. I would not be upset if my son decided to have a nice cigar once in a while as an adult. If he decides to smoke cigarettes, I am going to kick his ass.

I think Gary is right on. I have fond memories of my father whenever I catch the sweet aroma of pipe tobacco, and he hasn't smoked in over 15 years.

A fine cigar is a great way to celebrate life. In your marriage you will have to compromises... shattered dreams of an indoor lounge in the extra room :( . With the infrequence that you enjoy a smoke that is just one of the compromises she will have to make.

Thank you everyone for the congratulations and comments. I have yet to enjoy a stick with my new ring, but I guess I have a lifetime for that. :laugh:

Belated congratulations. As long as most days are better than the one that came before it, you are doing alright...

I have been married for 14 years, and have two girls (4 and 10). My wife smokes like a fish, and has since the day I met her (I'm not the cause of her smoking!), so she really doesn't have a leg to stand on if she were opposed to my smoking cigars. I've recently upped my cigar habit, and the only thing she has really commented on was that "I smelled like cigars". Well, yeah.... Pot? Kettle? Black? She actually just bought me a new humidor for my birthday. It's not a great one, but she is trying. I kinda like that girl. ;)

My 10 year old gives me a little grief, especially as they go over all this stuff in Health class. I only smoke outside, and mainly during the day while they are at school, anyway. I try to shower before I leave to pick up my youngest, so un/fortunately there usually isn't the subconscious lingering smells like were talked about earlier. My father-in-law died of cancer two years ago this week, and it didn't slow my wife's smoking down by even a single cigarette a day. I don't overlook the health risk aspect of cigars, but at the same time, I can probably count on one hand the number of sticks I smoke a week. If I need the other hand, it was a really good week!

So, no, I haven't/won't stop smoking simply because I have offspring. Perhaps if a health issue arrises, but I'll cross that bridge if I come to it. I've got a few other issues to worry about first before fretting over that.

Gary, I couldn't agree more. Well said.

In fact, I have two boys, and given all of the anti-masculine opinions in the world today, I believe it's important for my boys to see me doing things that espouse manhood. Otherwise they are at risk of growing up scared to take risks. I say smoke your cigars in moderation and don't apologize for it. One day they'll thank you for not shielding them from the world.

Jeff

Interesting topic and an interesting time! ;)

As for the memories, I've got wonderful memories of family gatherings, when my grandpa would smoke his pipe after meals. He'd even smoke in the house (his house) and the smell was intriquing. To this day, my first thought, when smelling pipe smoke, is my grandpa. :thumbs:

Floyd T.

My daughter occasionally joins me to hang out while I have a cigar in the man cave. It is ventilated and I am not stupid about blowing it in her face, we have had some great discussions in her 13 years. I often sit on the deck while the little one plays outside with a cigar. They learn the bad habits early, as she is 2 and already looks at the cigar and says "Ouch" although I think that is from her association of smoke with "hot."

I also think people who smoke in their cars with Kids are idiot and would never do that.....but if they choose to, more power to them.