• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

When you gift a cigar...

I guess it depends alot on the cigars that were gifted...if it was a highly sought after premium and they took a few puffs and tossed it, id be a little upset. IF it was a cheaper stick, i would have no problem. I always give gifted cigars a chance...cept for ones that i know are terrable which i will usually politely decline!

I agree with what everyone says. Once a gift is gone, they can do what what they want. Unless they try and sell it.

Matt R said:
I'm with preembargo. Once it leaves my hands, it becomes someone else's property to do with as he sees fit. It will not offend me if they out it down, smoke it to the nub, or sell it to make a profit. It may have a determination on if and what I hand to that person again changes, but no offense to me whatsoever.
[snapback]212535[/snapback]​

Ditto -- people can do what they want with what I send them, as long as they have not been deceptive (ie, saying they want a birthday smoke, then selling it on ebay). It definitely would influence my decision to send them anything else if they decided to sell what I gave them though.

For the record... a cigar received via a mooch is not a gift. If something was mooched for a birthday smoke and then the guy tunred around and sold it for a profit, I'd not be angry, but there would be no more mooch receipts from me.

I agree with the 'gift is a gift but not to sell' crowd

I have a neighbor down the street that is a newb like me (ok, even newbier) and it is alot of fun to bring him a smoke and enjoy one with him. I make a mental note of every cigar and his reaction- if he dislikes it, he tosses it aside (no offense to me) and the next cigar is something different - stronger/lighter, etc... We have gotten some great smokes in, and we both enjoy the hell out of having a smoking partner on the street. I usually supply cigars and he brings the drinks. Best part is we have similar tastes and have split a couple of boxes already. They've ranged from Siglo VI to Sancho Panza Dbl Maduros.

now if he started selling the gifts I bestow on him or demanding them when I forget, I would start giving rockets or nothing at all. He constantly tries to buy or supply the daily smoke but I usually beat him to the punch...

Interesting topic. My knowledge is limited and my experience even less. I gift smokes to those I believe respect the traditions. (Not that I have gifted that many cigars, but I do with new found friends at my local store.) IMHO, it is in the giving and sharing of mutual values and not the cost or rarity of a cigar that is pleasurable. Knowledge and experience may/will demand more $, but traditions are priceless.

My buddy is coming over tonight and I am going to "gift" him an AF 858 candela. I can't wait to see if he finishes it! Either way it goes I'll be happy. If he likes it, then great. If he hates it, then I can razz him about being a wuss. :laugh:

Sharing cigars is fun no matter how you look at it! :thumbs:

They only thing I don't do is gift ISOM's to inexperienced smokers. A lesson learned when my brother stamped one out in the butt tray.

I just like to share with the few guys around me that smoke cigars. If I hand it to them, I know they like it or I know what type of smokes they like in general. Other guys that I don't know get the cigars that I don't mind getting rid of (what they do with it is up to them). Selling good cigars is just bad form...keep 'em and smoke 'em later, but don't sell 'em. ;)

-Fetter

preembargo said:
My thoughts are that if someone is trying the cigar for the first time they won't know if they're going to like it or not. It's perfectly reasonable for someone to put down a cigar that they don't like.

As far as gifting cigars, (others may feel differently) once I give something to someone else, other than hoping they enjoy it, I have no concern what they do with it. It's theirs to do with however they please.
[snapback]212531[/snapback]​
Ditto.

Once I give it away, it's theres to do wit has they please.

I have to agree when a cigar is gifted I would hope the person enjoys it but if they do not it is there tastes. I also agree a gifted cigar should not be sold but if I where gifted a few of the same smokes and did not care for them I feel re gifting to another would be ok. I have not personally had this happen I have liked all the smokes I have been gifted and I do hold a gifted cigar with a higher respect then a purchased one. I even have all my gifted smokes in a special spot in my hummie to keep then separate from my purchased ones. I have many friends that do not smoke and I have tried to get them to join the dark side but most have not. When I gift a smoke to them I kinda know it might not be enjoyed as much so I do not gift top notch stuff. Many of them have like Acids I gifted them just to get them out of my hummie. :D

The reply that a mooched cigar is not a gift is a great insight. It has happened to me a few times on the golf course where a fellow member (not necessarily someone I know well enough to consider a friend, just someone I know from seeing around the Club) will approach me and comment about how awesome my cigar smells - asks me what it is and then hints that they would LOVE to try such a great smelling cigar... So far, I'm ok with the scenario - it's what happenes next that gets me....

I gift this guy a cigar (last Friday it was a delicious PSP2!) and then I ask if he needs a cutter and a light --he says NO!!! he is going to take it home and smoke it later !!!!! This is the 2nd time in the last couple of weeks that this same thing has happened with 2 different guys....and this really annoys me.....I'm not this moocher's cigar store provider -- if he wants to smoke the cigar on the course - that I don't have a problem with.....but when he announces he will be taking it home to smoke later ---for some unexplained reason --that action bothers me !!!!

One of my buddies in my normal Friday foursome said he will get a sign made up for my bag that shows a lit cigar and the words....NO MOOCHING ALLOWED !!!!

DocRKS said:
The reply that a mooched cigar is not a gift is a great insight. It has happened to me a few times on the golf course where a fellow member (not necessarily someone I know well enough to consider a friend, just someone I know from seeing around the Club) will approach me and comment about how awesome my cigar smells - asks me what it is and then hints that they would LOVE to try such a great smelling cigar... So far, I'm ok with the scenario - it's what happenes next that gets me....

I gift this guy a cigar (last Friday it was a delicious PSP2!) and then I ask if he needs a cutter and a light --he says NO!!! he is going to take it home and smoke it later !!!!! This is the 2nd time in the last couple of weeks that this same thing has happened with 2 different guys....and this really annoys me.....I'm not this moocher's cigar store provider -- if he wants to smoke the cigar on the course - that I don't have a problem with.....but when he announces he will be taking it home to smoke later ---for some unexplained reason --that action bothers me !!!!

One of my buddies in my normal Friday foursome said he will get a sign made up for my bag that shows a lit cigar and the words....NO MOOCHING ALLOWED !!!!
[snapback]213112[/snapback]​

I agree with you on that one. It'd rub me wrong too.

DocRKS said:

[snapback]213112[/snapback]​

That would actually be a great towell to have and probably pretty easy to make. Awesome idea :)

Seamus said:
If you hanged someone a premium cigar to smoke would you care if the only smoked 1/4 of it? When I give someone I cigar that I myself would enjoy I see it as wasted if the person I give it to only takes a few puffs and ditches. I can see if there is a draw problem and if that is the case I would gladly hand someone another but why would you take a cigar you would not smoke? I know what I like and if someone wanted to give me a cigar that I didn't plan on smoking I would pass and say no thanks. Anyway, what are your thoughts on this?
[snapback]212525[/snapback]​

First You kick their @ss!!!!

No honestly I would only gift something I would miss in this case to someone I knew would enjoy it and who would know to smoke it till their fingers burn.

Otherwise I would gift a yard gar in most cases.

If someone gifts a cigar to me then I will smoke it even if it's something that isn't to my taste. I value that person took the time to send me that cigar and the cost of doing it. Any cigars that I get as a Gift, Pass, Cigar Draft, Contest, or anything that is like the others I will smoke. If I traded cigars or paid cash for them then they are for me to do what I want with.

Also if I see someone with a cigar and I mooch one off of them I smoke it right then. Taking it home for later is bad form.