• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Where do you blog?

MX

Quietly getting back into the cigar culture.....
How many of you have Blogs? And, where are they?

I am about to start up my own blog soon. Looking for places to host it and ideas on makingit look good.

Tim

I'm debating a blog too. One I was looking into was wordpress, but I don't know enough about it to describe. Thanks for opening this thread Tim, I'll be utilizing the info as well. :thumbs:

I have a small private blog going on Live Journal---about 20 members, most of whom I know IRL. Mostly it's about pre-Christian Northern European ethnocultural folkway stuff, but being that the guest list is largely composed of friends, the focus gets a bit more casual from time to time.

~Boar

I find the best software solution to be available at WordPress.org. This is an open source PHP blog program you can download and host on your own server (as I do). :thumbs:

WordPress also has a commercial platform (no server required) which they house at WordPress.com. I think this is also free but I haven't used it.

Wordpress on a VPS at Slicehost. I use it mainly as a repository for the random thoughts that flood my brain everyday.

OK, so If i make my blog on my Mac, where and how do I upload it?

Thanks for the help

Tim

OK, so If i make my blog on my Mac, where and how do I upload it?

Thanks for the help

Tim

There are mac specific hosting sites but most people use PHP as the language of choice (with MySQL or PostgreSQL as a backend). Wordpress is amongst the top "packaged" open-source blogging software out there. I actually run 3 blogs with really only one having relevance here: http://www.cigarnewbie.com. My oldest one is about 10 years old and hosts my security articles and long-distance touring.

I've created entries and edited blog software on Linux, Mac OS 9.x, OS X and a variety of Winblows (both real and virtual). Generally speaking, you'd write your entries either in a text editor or in the blogging software and then "publish it".

Are you looking to code your own blog from scratch or use existing software? What's your monthly budget, if anything, towards blogging? Personal or targeted audience? :)

Brussels Cigar Smoker

Well, it is not much, but it is a start.

Went with Word Press, I had a blog on Blogger/Blogspot, but did not like it.

Tim

Good start Tim... Thanks for adding TexasHerf to your links. You can also add Inthehumidor if you would like. :D

I do hosting on my own box at work. I use Wordpress on my blog(havn't updated much, but mainly is a picture blog) and I use Drupal for my friends blog. Both good software.

I do hosting on my own box at work. I use Wordpress on my blog(havn't updated much, but mainly is a picture blog) and I use Drupal for my friends blog. Both good software.

Nice pictures!!

It has been a few years since I have seen that Gruene water tower. Used to go tubing down the Guad almost every year. Then switched to the Frio.

Tim

I use blogger, works great since they automatically ping google with it. That way it is searchable fast. I did remove the annoying little banner it has at the top though. Also the templat I use isn't standard. It has a bar on both sides instead of one. I wont post it since it is political but if you want to see it let me know.

Sorry to dig up an old post, but I do have a related question. I recently started a blog at Wordpress.com and I need to know how to import a theme from a different site. They have a list of themes in the Dashboard, but I'm looking for a dark, 3-column theme and they don't have one. I did a Google search for Wordpress themes and found some sites that had some, but I don't know how to import them.

For those interested, my blog is http://rantsoftheuninformed.wordpress.com/

I use the Google Blogger for my blog. I couldn't integrate wordpress into my web page like I could blogger. Not that anyone really reads it though.