• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Which box would you pick?

Breedy

Busted
Parameters: You have a budget of $400 dollars and are looking for a box of at least 20 cigars and plan to smoke one a year till they are gone.

Both CC and Non-CC are in play...

So what's it going to be?

UPDATE:

I am up for promotional at my Fire Department to the rank of Lieutenant. This round of promotions will be the 1st in 10 years, which is when I got hired.  The process involves a very competitive written and oral assessment center and I did very well. This morning I had my interview with the Chief's and felt it went well.

I debated on posting before anything was finalized but my phone has been blowing up from guys on my shift and the other two wishing me luck and that they hope I get selected.  To be honest, I didn't realize that many people had my number. 

At the end of the day there isn't anything else I could do or have done to make my chances better.  That with the support of my peers is what lead me to post it. I've done the most I can; the decision is in the Chiefs' hands now...I just hope they make a decision before 10 more years... :)

If I had to order it today, I'd probably try to find a recent box of H.Upmann Sir Winstons.  Should be good out of the box, and they have serious upside even a couple years from now.  Also, it's a big enough marca that when you smoke it, you'll get to enjoy it for some time.  I've had a couple, and they really delivered.  Just acquired some more, a box may not be too far off.

First thing that came to mind, there are lots of great choices in that price range.

My mind is jumping right to CCs seeing as these will undergo some serious aging. I would keep it simple and get a solid box of Monte #2s.

I don't know.  That is the struggle I am having right now as I owe myself something nice, and this scenario seems to be something I am asking myself. 

I'm with Tom, an HQ box of HUSW's would be the call for me. Just got my split on Backslides box he sold and the wrappers look soooo chocolately. Severl hours of classic Upmann profile and a big smile!

Monte #2's have been sketchy.  Some are fantastic, some are mediocre.  The SirWinnie's are in the price range and are seriously age worthy.  Recent boxes have been solid.

As they say, one man's opinion......

I should point out that Boli RC's are reasonably priced, even on sale, and have been really amazing for the last few months.  Can't go wrong there for a solid box under $200.00........

Agreed on the Sir Winnies from what I've heard.  For the same purposes, I recently purchased a box of H. Upmann #2s (LUB MAY 14).  They've been getting rave reviews lately.

BlindedByScience said:
Monte #2's have been sketchy.  Some are fantastic, some are mediocre.  The SirWinnie's are in the price range and are seriously age worthy.  Recent boxes have been solid.

As they say, one man's opinion......
I should point out that Boli RC's are reasonably priced, even on sale, and have been really amazing for the last few months.  Can't go wrong there for a solid box under $200.00........
The Sir Winnie's are solid choice... And cost wise leave me enough for a handle full of the Boli's

Can't miss with either Cohiba Esplendido or Sig 6.

What are CoRo's going for these days?  Or as mentioned the Siglo VI.

Something larger that you can enjoy for a longer session is a good point.

kona1000 said:
Padron 1926  No. 1.
My only concern with the Padron is letting it sit for 20 years.

As to the Siglo VI, they are a above the parameter of $400(ish) a box

Sir Winston was the only thing that popped into my head with that budget and the factor that they age really well.

BBS said it perfectly in his first post.

Trini Fundi

Or just go for two boxes of something smaller. 

Divinos / Reyes / some PC - though they never seem to stay a year. 

Seeing as smoking this may be an 'event' - Fundi is probably the best choice IMO. 

grateful1 said:
Trini Fundi

Or just go for two boxes of something smaller. 

Divinos / Reyes / some PC - though they never seem to stay a year. 

Seeing as smoking this may be an 'event' - Fundi is probably the best choice IMO. 
What about the robusto extras?  Oldest I've had was 5 years and it was still spot on but I don't know what 20 years will do to them.

I was graciously gifted a couple of the Robust Extra's.  They were good.....but they weren't box good, at least to my blown up taste buds.

As they say, one man's opinion.......B.B.S.

I have some 95 vintage HdM DC's, about 5 left which I have been smoking at about the rate described.  They are still smoking great, but they were from an era where aging was not an option but pretty much required.  The Winnie's are a good choice IMHO.  It is a bit puzzling that most go directly to the CC's and I would think there must be some more non's which would survive the test of 20 years. 

Without throwing rocks I will say that I've had boxes of rather expensive, well known brand NC's turn to air cigars in 2-4 years.  Of course, in that particular case, you're buying cigars with age on the tobacco up front, so the aging potential is not an upside.  Some guys will tell you that cigars age forever and do nothing but get better, but i will say that based on my own experience, that's simply not true.

I believe that given enough time, all cigars will turn the corner and turn into fragrant air cigars with little to no body.  For some that happens in 5-6 years, for some it takes 25 years or more.  But, I do believe it will happen to all of them, given enough time.

As they say, one man's opinion.....