• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Which cigar do you offer to first timers?

If we are on the golf course, I offer them the strongest that I have available. :whistling:

If we are just sitting around, then I usually offer them something on the mild-medium side.

I do enjoy watching folks change colors. :laugh:

I keep a couple of Gisperts around. I've also done the Padron 2000/3000.

Sick man you are! Actually this was how I was introduce to cigars. A few years ago my old college roommates brought me home a Rocky Patel Edge Maduro. Given that it I had nothing in my stomach and I have never smoked before, I decided to try it out... not a good idea. I ended up throwing up 20 min after I smoked that thing.

So now... I hand that out to people that have never smoked before or want to try a cigar.

I'd probably offer either an Avo XO or a Davidoff No. 2. Both great smokes that won't scare them off. If they're regular smokers, maybe an Añejo 46 or RyJ Short Churchill.

I normally let them pick. I've been giving a lot of Kristoff Ligero Maduros and CAOs.

-Gianni-

Great topic, Im a bit of a newbie myself but I gave a friend a RyJ Bully the other night who only had smoked Acids before that.

If I had to pick something form my current small collection to let a newbie try, it'd probably be a Casa Blanca Reserve Cameroon. I say this because it is a rather low strength cigar. However I think it has pretty good flavor for its weak strength. They are very clean tasting, not any spicyness to it, and it doesn't have a lingering taste in the mouth. It doesn't get the kinda nasty taste you get from over puffin weak cigars like Macanudos and regular Casa Blancas.

Just a very smooth smoking, good tasting cigar!

I offer them the best. Thats whats in my humidor and if I offer a cigar, its always on the high end of the scale. I generally will pick out a milder one so they don't get sick or turned away from smoking a cigar. So if I have Boli GM's, thats what I offer. Now all I have is Opus in the humidor and the one friend I have in town that cigar is way to much for him so I give him pipe tobacco. So that he can roll cigarettes to smoke while I smoke a Opus.

I usually give first time smokers a Flor de Oliva. I am not wasting my good stuff on someone that may smoke an inch and then put it out. If it is somebody that smokes sometimes, I go for a Punch magnum or a Jose Piedra.

Cuesta Rey Pyramid 9
Padrón 2000
5 Vegas 'A'

i like the Helix either natural or maduro for noobs. It's a tasty, well constructed, but cheap cigar that is mellow but not bland. I loved 'em when I was starting out.

You can't go wrong with an x000 series, as other people have stated. I always have a box of the regular ole Punches and 2000's in the cooler for that reason.

If it's someone who I know will smoke just about anything then I go for one of the cheaper everyday smokes I keep around... Like a Sancho Panza. If it's someone I think will be into it and appreciate it then I'll let them pick nearly anything. I've given a CAO Italia to a couple first time ( or close to it) smokers and they really enjoyed it.

When I was living in VA I had a great B&M 5 minutes away so I'd grab a couple friends and drive them over there to pick. I'd BS with the guy behind the counter and the two of us would help them find something. Never failed.

I've been pretty successful with giving first timers CAO Gold Maduros. I tried to go the Padron route, but it didn't work out so well.

Throw him off the pier, and see if he floats. LFD Chisel.

Doc.

Usually the mildest I have on hand.
Which isn't much, anymore. But
they come in from time to time, in
trades or samplers. AVO, Mac,
Casa Torano or Perdomo Champagne
ring a bell.

Chemyst :cool:

I've got a box of Macanudo Hampton Courts designated as my newb/moocher box. If the first timer does okay with one, then I'll move him on to a Padron x000 for the next cigar.

When my Macadoodles are gone I'll probably get another box of El Rey del Mundo Oscuro Robustos or Sancho Panza Double Maduros. Those seem pretty good for newbie palettes as well, but I can also smoke them enjoyably... much more so than the Macs.

Depends on their outlook. If they're a smartass I'll give em a CAO MX-2 and have one myself. If they want to really enjoy a cigar I'd start them with Oliva G Cameroon and work their way up.

Still very much a newbie here, but I do remember that my first real cigar was and Ashton Magnum. Something about that cigar just had me hooked. If I were to hand on out I would probably lean in that direction.

Tough question - it really depends on the person...overall I'd say I would give something that first of all burns well so they don't get frustrated. Usually something like a H. Upmann cameroon.