• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Who didn't see this coming

I like the way Vista looks visually, but I have no plans to switch from XP.

Nothing but problems with Vista. Nothing too horrible, but next laptop I get will be a Mac.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

It's all so simple...

I will be honest here, as an IT Consultant I think that Windows Vista has quite a bit to offer that some people are not aware of. I was forced to upgrade to Vista (kicking and screaming) due to a hardware upgrade from 2Gb of RAM to 4Gb of Ram (which only 64bit operating systems support, and at the time I could not get XP 64 bit), and I must say I truly am impressed with it. The look and feel is totally different and takes a bit of getting used to, but its really nice. If you are planning to use older software and hardware then don't even think about Vista, it doesnt play well at all. But for a new system its quite good. The point im getting to is that I think this is a mistake by Micro$oft. If they want more people to move to Vista, they should stop selling/supporting XP. Just my 2 cents.

I will be honest here, as an IT Consultant I think that Windows Vista has quite a bit to offer that some people are not aware of. I was forced to upgrade to Vista (kicking and screaming) due to a hardware upgrade from 2Gb of RAM to 4Gb of Ram (which only 64bit operating systems support, and at the time I could not get XP 64 bit), and I must say I truly am impressed with it. The look and feel is totally different and takes a bit of getting used to, but its really nice. If you are planning to use older software and hardware then don't even think about Vista, it doesnt play well at all. But for a new system its quite good. The point im getting to is that I think this is a mistake by Micro$oft. If they want more people to move to Vista, they should stop selling/supporting XP. Just my 2 cents.

Real good points bro. My perspective is from a guy who browses CP and Facebook, uses word processing, does basic home recording, and spends the rest of his life at work and with his kids. I don't really care what new shit it has to offer. I have one older program (Fruity Loops) that I used on XP. It will not function on Vista. That's crap to me.

I think it may be an attempt to boost computer sales and boost the economy a bit. Everybody run out and get bigger and better to support this great product.... :laugh:

...and the alternative would be for the makers to install open-source Linux as the operating system.

Works for me (at home, at least)...

I've got no problems running Vista, and honestly, I have yet to see a crash on my laptop or home PC... My powermac, however, which is used for heavy video editing, crashes all the time, or applications will just close without an explanation... People don't like that fact that Windows spews forth complicated information when something crashes... I don't like the fact that Mac tells me nothing when something fails...

Coming from a rather computer-savvy, dare I say nerdy, childhood and father, I see plenty of problems with every OS. The way Mac advertises is just dirty, though... But more power to them, it seems they are pretty popular on my campus. Even my sister wants one, and when I ask her why a Mac over a PC, she says she likes the commercials :laugh:

I'm a vista fan after having used it now since its release.

32bit is rock stable and more importantly, vista 64bit is at least 10x better than XP 64bit in terms of software and hardware compliance.

I'll never go back to XP.

Get a Mac, things don't go wrong in multiples of 100 like windows... :D

Brian

Its interesting, does this mean that new pcs might still ship with XP on them? I am still running XP, though my step kids both have vista. i recall wanting vista badly when it came out, but my old pc wont run it, and no money for to upgrade. After the kids got theirs for xmas, I had the joy of hooking them up to my router.

I've played around with vista on a minimum style machine and on a fully blown deal, and i'm not so sure I like it. Too many annoying things that seem to pop up. Its like they had all these great ideas, but instead of streamlining them in, they just added them all in. I find most of thier popups useless or needless, even though they are designed to protect the end user I find that they don't. My step daughter actually installed some crap that took me forever to get off her pc, because she thought it was one of those popups and was ok to click.

It also seems like theres a lot of redundancys in it, where you can get to the same place to do the same thing but mulitple ways. I guess to me, XP seems more user friendly. Then again, maybe i've not spent enough time with vista yet.

The scariest part is my dad needs a new pc, and will likely buy one with vista. He hasn't enough come close to mastering XP yet, and constantly needs my help. Not an issue, but it will be with vista because I can't help if I haven't mastered it myself.

Maybe vista will end up the way windows 2000 did and just kind of fade away. At least its better than windows me was though, LOL.

Ok so to answer the question about buying a machine with Windows XP: Manufacturers will NOT be selling new PC's with Windows XP Home edition as of 6/18/08. Windows XP Pro however is still readily available through all manufacturers. No EOL has been set for XP Pro yet. I can definetly see Vista falling to the way side in 2010 when the next release of Windows is due. It will be interesting to see what happens.

This is a good move on their part, Vista came out too early and the hardware and software world is still catching up. In another year or two, when SP2 is out and a few more hardware cycles have happened then maybe it will be time to drop XP and go Vista, until then I'm sticking with XP on my desktop and Ubuntu on my laptop.

For those saying go mac, really there's no advantage there. Their hardware has just as many issues as PC hardware does, and you pay more for what you get from them than you would for a PC, it's really just not a good move unless you're forced to use on professionally.

Ok so to answer the question about buying a machine with Windows XP: Manufacturers will NOT be selling new PC's with Windows XP Home edition as of 6/18/08. Windows XP Pro however is still readily available through all manufacturers. No EOL has been set for XP Pro yet. I can definetly see Vista falling to the way side in 2010 when the next release of Windows is due. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Would you post a link to the detailed info on that....as my co-worker seem seems to think that home users will still only get Vista and businesses will have the option.

Thanks.

I can definetly see Vista falling to the way side in 2010 when the next release of Windows is due. It will be interesting to see what happens.
So that means, by the Bill Gates calendar, that the Vista replacement will actually be released in 2012 and be fully functional by 2014 :laugh: ....if that is the case, I'll stick with XP for now and wait. :whistling:

Get a Mac, things don't go wrong in multiples of 100 like windows... :D

Brian

#1...my son needs a new laptop for college and you have to witness the lack of support for Mac on the academic side of the campus. He's an Information Systems major and they use Microsoft for all his classes....and the whole Business Department for that matter...and they base all the programs on Vista without an XP option. I've been attempting to sway my kid to still try a Mac Book that will run Microsoft programs but he is totally against it.

If they'd have axed XP Pro, they'd have risked alienating a lot of very big commercial customers.....like the ones with 80K seats. I know several very large companies that have stated they will NOT be adopting Vista. Our company, for example, has several "mission critical" programs we wrote in house that break under Vista. It's 32 bit emulation mode is a joke. One of the reasons for the pull in of Vista's replacement was to address the complaints and criticisms of the "big guy" customer base.

It's also interesting to note that 32 bit XP does in fact have 4GB of address space, but there's lots of other things competing for that space. What's competing for that address space? Things like System ROM (BIOS), APIC(s), Integrated PCI devices, such as network adapters and SCSI controllers, PCI expansion cards, Graphics cards, PCI Express cards (if applicable). You can certainly install 4GB of RAM under Windows XP (as I have for machines I've built for friends), but your operating system and applications won't be able to access more than ~ 3.4 GB of it.

XP Pro on all four machines here....and no plans to move away from it.

Regards - B.B.S.