• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Who has never enjoyed venison?

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
I know a lot of people who have had venison which wasn't cared for and/or cooked properly and disliked it.

If someone wants to try some foolproof awesome venison, I will send some out. Send me your best roast beef recipe and I will choose a winner and send some venison out.

I can it, and make it into numerous things which would be great with roast beef. I Will send a couple recipes along with the venison.

I love venison. Grew up on it, sadly the wife is not a fan.
Have you ever had it canned Justin?
The only time I have had Venison is in sausage and it was amazing. Girthy and juicy.
I make a lot of breakfast sausage and jerky with mine. I have also dabbled with making snack sticks and summer sausage.

I also changed how I butcher the hind quarter and found some new cuts that were great!

Have you ever had it canned Justin?

I make a lot of breakfast sausage and jerky with mine. I have also dabbled with making snack sticks and summer sausage.

I also changed how I butcher the hind quarter and found some new cuts that were great!
Yep

Not all venison is the same, so if you tried it once and didn't like it, don't rule it out.

I work with an avid hunter who plans to shoot 40 deer this year, so he offers me as much venison as I can eat. He leases a hunting site on a farm in PA, and the owner wants the herd thinned because they are eating a lot of his corn. The venison he produces is really mild and delicious since their diet is mostly corn instead of acorns and weeds. It still tastes like game, but it's not harsh the way some game can be. It has beautiful flavors that can be enhanced by berries and fall vegetables.

It's also important how the deer (or any animal) is killed. If it's shot and quickly dies, that is the best possibility for both the animal and the meat. On the other hand, if it's wounded and runs, adrenaline surges through its body which produces off flavors in the meat.

Not all venison is the same, so if you tried it once and didn't like it, don't rule it out.

I work with an avid hunter who plans to shoot 40 deer this year, so he offers me as much venison as I can eat. He leases a hunting site on a farm in PA, and the owner wants the herd thinned because they are eating a lot of his corn. The venison he produces is really mild and delicious since their diet is mostly corn instead of acorns and weeds. It still tastes like game, but it's not harsh the way some game can be. It has beautiful flavors that can be enhanced by berries and fall vegetables.

It's also important how the deer (or any animal) is killed. If it's shot and quickly dies, that is the best possibility for both the animal and the meat. On the other hand, if it's wounded and runs, adrenaline surges through its body which produces off flavors in the meat.
Very true on all accounts. My brother shoots hay field antelope every year that are actually edible. Grew up shooting Eastern Montana prairie antelope that are only good for jerky.

Very true. I try to get to my deer, get it bled out, dressed, and cooled as soon as possible.

Overcooking is another things that produces off flavors, venison shoud be eaten as rare as possible. The iron in the blood will produce gamey flavors and make it tough.

Soaking venison in whole milk overnight really helps tenderise it and reduce gamey flavor.

It’s been awhile since I’ve had some venison. I was never the hunter that my dad and brother are/were but my dad doesn’t hunt much anymore and my brother maybe gets 1 if that..always chasing the elusive big buck.

My wife, kids etc won’t touch the stuff no matter how good it tastes. But I’m the opposite. Makes a great jerky in the dehydrator!

I work with an avid hunter who plans to shoot 40 deer this year, so he offers me as much venison as I can eat. He leases a hunting site on a farm in PA, and the owner wants the herd thinned because they are eating a lot of his corn.

Not sure how it works in PA, I do know it's known for a large whitetail population, but how is he able to take that many deer?

In WI, we get extra tags occasionally if CWD is getting out of control.. but that's way less common nowadays. I know there's certain nuisance clauses, but even then, getting the DNR to sign-off on taking 40 deer is something I've never heard of.

But again, no clue how PA does their game and culling. And yes, just like any protein, give it a try a different way if you didn't like your first go around. I couldn't imagine winter without my venison stew!

Very true. I try to get to my deer, get it bled out, dressed, and cooled as soon as possible.

Overcooking is another things that produces off flavors, venison shoud be eaten as rare as possible. The iron in the blood will produce gamey flavors and make it tough.

Soaking venison in whole milk overnight really helps tenderise it and reduce gamey flavor.
This! If you have never tried the milk thing Rob @Nihon_Ni, give it a go. I never had until Jeff introduced it to me, and what a game changer. 😍

I've always used buttermilk, wonder if there's a difference?
I think buttermilk is the holy grail. I learned that cream or whole milk is best. But in the south, the older ladies all used buttermilk.

The fat enzymes are the key.

I've always used buttermilk, wonder if there's a difference?
I wouldn’t think so!
I think buttermilk is the holy grail. I learned that cream or whole milk is best. But in the south, the older ladies all used buttermilk.

The fat enzymes are the key.
Buttermilk has less enzymes, but has a higher lactic acid content from what I understand.

I haven't tried it on venison, but I'll have to try it. The meat I get is so mild I don't think it needs mitigating, but I'm always up for a food experiment!