• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Who smokes pipes?

Rod,

The problem with "Bite" comes from two different sources. . . .

1.) You were probably using an aromatic tobacco. These tobacco's are loaded with glycerin. This keeps the tobacco moist, but it bites like nobodys business.
The solution here is to smoke several different blends. You will find some that are still sweet or aromatic, but not as high in glycerin content.

2.) You probably were smoking a pipe that didn't have any carbon build up on the inside walls. Once the pipe is "broken in" and starts to build up a layer of carbon, the "bite" begins to diminish sharply. This could take a while though, particularly if you are just an occasional pipe smoker.

You might be able to find someone who will "break in" your pipe for you. Someonw who smokes every day and is willing to help you out.

Talk to your Pipe shop too about blends that won't "bite" as much. A good pipe store owner / manager can steer you in the right direction.

HAPPY SMOKES! ! !

STEVE

By the way. . . .

Another source for the "bite" may be the constant puffing of the pipe. This makes the pipe get alot hotter, and the moisture really starts to be a problem. This can aggravate the "bite" and make it even worse.

Slow down on the puffing and that will help too.

HAPPY SMOKES! ! !

STEVE

psyktek said:
Steve and Shadow, you each mentioned having several different blends. Do the tins keep them fresh over time, or do you have to use something like a rubber-gasket jar or what?
[snapback]154613[/snapback]​

We make our own blends at the shop and they are kept in glass jars with the plastic gaskets on the counter. At the most we only keep about a pound available of each blend in the jars, except for our most popular blend and that we keep five pounds available in a large glass jar. All other tobacco is kept in sealed containers until we need to mix more.

Jeez, it's been twenty-three years since I smoked a pipe. Thought we were cool smoking blackcherry flavored tobacco. Does bring back fond memories.

Rod, I like Pipe Room. Also like Pipe Dreams, either way.

Gregor

Glad to see the new forum Rod :)

One of these days I do intend on taking up pipe smoking and this will definately be a great resource and knowledge base until then!

Sam

Sam,

When you decide to take up cigars, Skip at The Briary there in Birmingham is THE MAN! ! ! He will help you get started and introduce you to pipe smoking in the right way.

Furthermore, the Briary is a great place to just light up and kick back.

You Lucky Dog. . . .

HAPPY SMOKES! ! !

STEVE

Skip is indeed the man. I used to go to the Briary when I was passing through B'Ham. Back, of course, when the Briary was a tiny shop on the upper deck of Brookwood Mall on Lakeshore. Even then, it was an awesome place, filled with great pipes, great tobacco, a good walk in, and, best of all, outstanding gents.

Definitely, if you have the means, I too could not recommend this place highly enough.

SamGuss said:
Glad to see the new forum Rod :)

One of these days I do intend on taking up pipe smoking and this will definately be a great resource and knowledge base until then!

Sam
[snapback]155079[/snapback]​

I happen to smoke a pipe too! I have off and on for years if nothing else to be different!
Viva La Diferance! as they say!! I smoke an Ashton ladies Sherlock, and a Diva, limited edition
ladies pipe from France. The latter given to me as a gift recently from a gentleman I have begun dating. I love of course the flavored tobaccos, and some custom blends I have made myself. Beats a nasty cigerette any day, and those are the vice I try to elude and quit yearly!

I used to smoke the pipe. One of my co-workers smokes daily and a friend of mine switched from cigars to the pipe and is quite active in pipe passes.

My brother is a missionary in Turkey where there are all kinds of pipes made. My dad was going to bring one back for me on a visit to see my brother but forgot.

Will CP be a pipe site within the year :0 :0 :0

Time will tell. ;)

I had a pipe and then it got ganked, it was a pretty nice one, and now I just have like 10 ounces of pipe tabacco lying around that isn't gonna get smoked.