• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Who smokes pipes?

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking to buy a decent pipe. I've tried smoking pipes in past, but now I'm ready to learn the art of pipe smoking. Anyone have any good recommendations on what type of pipe I should buy? Any good sources?

Thanks,
Rod

If you know any good pipe websites, please post 'em.

If you're looking to buy a relatively inexpensive handmade pipe, Savinelli makes a few in the $60-$100 range. If you're looking for a step up from that, I would suggest a higher-end Savinelli, or an Ascorti. We have a few of each of those in my store. PM me if interested or if you'd just like some additional information.

Eric

I won't push brands (although I do like the looks of the Peterson silver band line), but for a shape, I really like the Canadian (at least that's one name for 'em): bowl can be had in various sizes, none are oversized, long shank and a short mouthpiece. Very classy look.

Another tip is to buy your tobacco for flavor, not aroma. As with cigars, only bystanders get to appreciate that wonderful smell; as the smoker, you're too close to the source. :)

"Fiddling" with your pipe is a great way to slow down a conversation and allow yourself time to come up with the proper "bon mot" to skewer your opponent. :laugh:

Edited for punctuation. :)

psyktek said:
"Fiddling" with your pipe is a great way to slow down a conversation and allow yourself time to come up with the proper "bon mot" to skewer your opponent. :laugh:
[snapback]154360[/snapback]​

Well put Bro.

I don't smoke a pipe now, but I have in the past. I smoked a Meerschaum about like This One and found it to be much better than Briar, once I had it well broke in. One word of caution tho, don't scrape too much from the inside, or you have to season it all over again (newbie mistake :whistling: )

Actually PB, it is not necessary to break in a meerschaum pipe, and some would actually say it is ill-advised. The purpose of breaking in a briar pipe (for those unfamiliar with the process) is to develop a "cake" in the bowl. The "cake" is a layer of carbon that protects the inside of the bowl from heat, and improves the draft of air though the bowl. Meerschaum does not burn, and it's porous nature facilitates a nice draft throughout the bowl. A well-developed cake would actually be harder than the meerschaum itself and could cause the pipe to crack.

You can learn more here

And to clarify my first post, I do not own the store in question, I'm just an employee there (an underpaid one!). I personally will not benefit in any way from a pipe being purchased there, I'm just passing along my suggestions.

Eric

Okay Mr. Rod dude, it was a little funny no? Now, if money is not too much the object... this is one of the better collection of pipes I've ever seen.

Lasse Skovegaard

NA

I really did buy a Hookah a long time ago. Have all the different flavored tobacco's. And just for the record only tobacco is allowed in my Hookah.

If we have enough pipe smokers, maybe we should open a new forum? What do you guys think?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Eshaw99 said:
Actually PB, it is not necessary to break in a meerschaum pipe, and some would actually say it is ill-advised. The purpose of breaking in a briar pipe (for those unfamiliar with the process) is to develop a "cake" in the bowl. The "cake" is a layer of carbon that protects the inside of the bowl from heat, and improves the draft of air though the bowl. Meerschaum does not burn, and it's porous nature facilitates a nice draft throughout the bowl. A well-developed cake would actually be harder than the meerschaum itself and could cause the pipe to crack.

You can learn more here

And to clarify my first post, I do not own the store in question, I'm just an employee there (an underpaid one!). I personally will not benefit in any way from a pipe being purchased there, I'm just passing along my suggestions.

Eric
[snapback]154374[/snapback]​

That links offers some very good info I was not aware of. However, I must stand on my own experience here. While I did not allow the "cake" to build too much in the bowl, I did have to smoke several bowls before the flavor really "hit". And once I scraped too much and into the white rather than the brown. After that, I did not have the same flavor until after several bowls. This leads to my belief that, while they do not apparently need seasoning, it does improve the smoking pleasure for the bowl to be "browned" rather than new white.

Ayuh, I went that route myself Rod. Smoked it off and on for a couple years and then got hold of some Arabian tobacco that knocked me on my particulars... and quit. Don't know what was in this stuff but I laughed for a half hour straight and then felt like I'd just gotten an ass kickin'. No more. Wierd.

NA

I have no problem pushing that brand. :thumbs: I have a Peterson silver band (St. Patrick's Day 2004 edition) and I don't take the time to smoke any of my other pipes any more. The grain is absolutely beautiful to boot, and only cost around $70.

psyktek said:
I won't push brands (although I do like the looks of the Peterson silver band line)
[snapback]154360[/snapback]​

Rod -

You really cannot go wrong with a Dunhill or Peterson pipe. Also, as others have pointed out, Savinelli makes some great pipes as well. I myself am an avid pipe smoker who actually started out on pipes before starting cigars.

I post many pipe tobacco reviews here:

Tobacco Reviews

From there, you can also find some great pipe forums and websites.

Hope this helps a little. And, Happy New Year.

Eric and Neal thanks for those links. :thumbs:

That Stanwell Ltd Ed. knocked my socks off (now I gotta chase down the dogs to get 'em back).

I was onced warned about Meerschaum, that the cheaper ones are often made of pressed dust and fragments, rather than a solid chunk, and thus don't smoke as well or color as well.

Here is a decent site with everything for the pipe newbie or veteran. I have 2 estate pipes that I inherited when my Father passed and I'm third to get them (they were my Grandfather's). I've experimented with them off and on, but not anything serious.

If we have enough pipe smokers, maybe we should open a new forum? What do you guys think?

I'd post there.....

-K-

Rod:

I'm a newbie to CP, but I've been smoking pipes off and on for over twenty years. I smoke cigars more often becase they are quicker, easier and I love 'em. I
worked at a Tinder Box for two years while I was going to college and I started a pipe collection that has since taken over my office at home. Beware ! If you have the collecting bug at all, pipes can be VERY addictive. :(

The definition of a good pipe (for most people) is one that smokes COOL and DRY. The shape or size is totally up to you. The most common material is "briar" which is the root burl of the Heath tree which grows in the Mediterranean region. The burl has to be cured (have the sap and resin dried out of it). Most Italian makers cure theirs in the sun and most other makers (England, France, Denmark, etc, etc) use a kiln to dry them out. In my experience, a good Italian pipe will "break-in" and start smoking cool and dry faster than those of other makers. I have some lovely old English Dunhills and Charatans, but I reach for my Ascortis or Caminettos more often.

My favorite pipes are "Le Nuvole" made by Maurizio Tombari. He's a one-man operation who makes some unique shapes and his pipes are INCREDIBLE smokes.
His website is www.pipe.it Also check out the auction sites for pipes, both new and
used (used ones are easy to sterilize and can be a great bargain).

Pipe tobaccos come in either aromatic (flavored) or non-aromatic (often called
English blends). I smoke both, but much prefer the English blends : they have more flavor and do not smell like cherry or rum, they smell more like a campfire.
They taste somewhat like a heavy full-flavored cigar.

If you send me a PM with your address, I'll send you a starter kit. I've got a few pipes new in the box that I will never use and they really should be smoked, shouldn't they ? :D

Springbank said:
If you send me a PM with your address, I'll send you a starter kit. I've got a few pipes new in the box that I will never use and they really should be smoked, shouldn't they ? :D
[snapback]154389[/snapback]​

Now there is the spirit!!! Well played Springbank :thumbs: